Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
~~~
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A circa 2002 vintage to be specific. First post here in the Turner forum. I wanted to wait until I got my winter project ready to share. So what do you do when you have an older 100mm fork sitting around? Build a Turner around it! However, I'm going in a bit of a different direction than all you DW koolaid drinkers! When miles e put up this XS sized XCE for sale, I knew it would be the perfect fit. The construction quality of this old frame is top notch, and the color is still amazing.

This was the trail bike before everyone and their mother knew they wanted a trail bike. Already got a couple of rides in and I am thoroughly impressed. How could a rear end with narrow rockers like that still feel so stiff? No regrets with this old bike what so ever. What a way to spend the New Year!

First order of business was to get the frame ready for hydros.

Of course I referred to mtbr for drilling instructions!

The "4 Spot" waiting for new components

Metallic charcoal with a hint of blue

And that Push'd Vanilla RC is the real deal!

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Wow

That is gorgeous! that paint is a work of art! that's old school stunning, works beautifully with that frame!

The whole bike has a 4x kinda bad ass look at the same time too, I'm diggin it, 4 spot aye very RAD tbruger and very orgional,great work, wonder what she's be like with a small stem on there lol.. a nice way to start the 09 season, congrats dude :thumbsup:

Look fwd to seeing and hearing abit more about this steed from time to time so don't let it be a stranger :thumbsup:

·
Rides like wrecking ball
1,122 Posts
When I read "XS frame" I immediately hoped to next hear DJ/DS bike. Damn. I've always wanted to hook up an XCE with a classic Z.1 QR20 (the machined, bolted, erector-set variety) and create a little brother to my '01 RFX. I don't go that big, and I think that frame could take it.

Very nice, nonetheless. That frame looks flawless!

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,121 Posts
Dang...

I've been keeping an eye out for one that size for my wife, you scored! It appears to be in great shape too, what a find. Let me know if it doesn't work our for ya ;)

Nice build you put together, schweet.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
That thing looks new!

I'm always amazed to see people get these new looking or even NOS Turners up and running.

PS- Keep an eye on those disc brake tabs. The ones without the metal in the middle used to crack.
True dat, its one of the cool things about Turners while others date! wack some new comps on these babies, forks shocks cranks etc and wallah they look baddass again!

I was looking through some older piccs of bikes from only 4 or 5 years back think what the hell was I thinking :D

Still dam nice stuff, always loved metallic, I have a car I want to get an old SSS datsun I want to restore one day and do in Metallic silver to blue purple fade with flecks! oh yeah!

Maybe I need a old school frame to do this too one day call it the SSS :D

thanks tburger u :cool:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
The frame is so small the wheels look like 29's and the saddle looks gigantic!
Funny thing is my wife (silly 'Zilla :nono: ) is now on a 29"er. :eek: It must look like a 36"er, but she loves it. She's got a big ol' saddle on it too, so that effect is probably exagerated as well.

I have to admit, the DS thing did cross my mind. Riding it around the driveway I could tell it felt like a BMX bike. But then after spending most of my time on a 29"er, so do most 26" bikes. :p

·
~~~
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the nice comments fellas! Indeed, if I had the ballz to go big, this frame would be a natural DJ/DS rig. I can tell right away because I was so comfortable taking SS switchbacks at a pretty good speed. The short travel makes you want to stay low and go fast, yet it launches so easily off of whatever you want to jump.

Thanks for the heads up on the brake tabs. Another good reason to stay off the brakes! After reading how DT takes care Turner riders, I'm really not too worried about anything that may happen to the frame!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Old XCE's...

Nice to see the older Turners still rocking. I was thinking last night about the one bike I ever regreted selling, and it was my old XTE. It went to a guy up in Canada. It was truely a do it all ride that provided lots of great road trip memories.

Enjoy the new - oldie.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.