Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to ask some advice from the guys in the know. I went for a ride this evening and on a particularly loose, rocky section had quite a large rock jump of the front wheel and hit the large chain ring (I think it is a 43T) of my Shimano XTR 960 crank set with a loud clang. (At first I thought it was the frame in the bottom bracket area but fortunately not.) On inspection I found three to four teeth have been flattened. That is, the points had been squared off slightly. The tips are slightly rough. One tooth had been slightly bent over at the tip . I rode home without useing the large ring and squeezed the bent tooth straight with a pair of pliars. I've put the bike on the repair stand and it seems to change without any problem onto the large ring.

What I'd like to know, would it be okay to smooth the rough edges with a file and keep useing the ring, assuming that it functions properly? Is it possible that it could lead to other problems?

Thanks for any advice,

Ronnie.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I would say yes.

Ronnie said:
I

What I'd like to know, would it be okay to smooth the rough edges with a file and keep useing the ring, assuming that it functions properly? Is it possible that it could lead to other problems?

Thanks for any advice,

Ronnie.
I have straightened bent teeth and then filed them to remove any burrs and allow the chain to settle smoothly on to the ring without any problem at all. I have had several 46T rings reduced to 40 teeth and still function fine as long as there aren't to many consecutive teeth missing. File away.

John W.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the help. I've filed them smooth and no more catching on the chain. Seems to work fine on the work stand. I'm going for a ride shrotly to check it works okay in the real world.

Ronnie.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.