Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shoulder hit first and is pretty damn sore, but I did whack my head somewhat hard. I was a little dazed for a few seconds as I dragged myself from the ground. I was wearing a ski cap under my helmet, but it was good and snug. So how do I determine if it needs replacing???

· Premium Member
8,727 Posts
you wear a helmet?.....pansy :p

if you plunged your melon into terra firma hard enough to make you dumber for a bit i'd contact your helmet manufacturer to see if they have a crash replacement program.....so yes, IMHO replace it....

I've replaced 2 after bouncing my head off trees......problem is I've stayed dumb.....

;)

· Registered
1,281 Posts
If you crashed, and your head hurts, then I'd replace the helmet. Look on the inside for any signs of the foam compressing or cracking. Definitely check for a crash replacement program before springing for a new lid.

· Picture Unrelated
5,127 Posts
For what it's worth, the manufacturers will tell you to replace it after any impact. I concur. It is said to be due to invisible cracking and compression of the foam which will reduce the helmet's ability to further absorb impact.

Be smart about it, I've both kept and replaced helmets after crashes. Use your head, so to speak, and you can determine if it is safe to continue to use your helmet. My last helmet replacement came after I shattered the interior foam core from a very bad head strike (my Giro ski helmet actually).

· ridin' dirty
81 Posts
It's still better than nothing, but I consider a helmet good for one impact. This comes from a history of motorcycling, where hits are admittedly more severe. But like others said, all helmets are designed to absorb/disperse the force of an impact, and even if the shell looks good, once the foam is compressed it loses effectiveness.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
This is a matter of risk assessment that only you can make. The correct answer has been repeated. Helmets are only guaranteed to be effective for one impact. It is recommended to replace them after they have been in a crash.

However, I too have replaced and kept using helmets after hard impacts. If they are cracked or visibly damaged it is a no-brainer to replace them. It's the unseen damage that could become problematic. Replacing a helmet is much much cheaper than a visit to the ER, but I would go broke if I replaced one every time it took an impact.

For me, reusing a helmet is an acceptable risk. I cannot in good conscience recommend that anyone reuse one after a crash, especially if you still saw stars.

Of course, I have this constant twitching in my eye and tremor in my hands after a hard hit several years ago...

· Registered
504 Posts
sbpinnacle said:
My shoulder hit first and is pretty damn sore, but I did whack my head somewhat hard. I was a little dazed for a few seconds as I dragged myself from the ground. I was wearing a ski cap under my helmet, but it was good and snug. So how do I determine if it needs replacing???
In motor racing if you're dazed, unconscious, etc replace the helmet. It would be the same for this sport.

The helmet's are built to take one impact basically and yours has had a good one.
Never mind what condition it looks like; replace it now. It may fail a real test next time.

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for the feedback... looks like a new melon protector is in order for me. I just took another look and there was very little impact on outer shell, most was on the compressed foam to the lower right, nice big mud stain for good reference. I can't see any damage but I'm not willing to take the chance at this point. I'm a little klutzy to begin with, I know I'll be crashing again! I'll keep this one around for emergencies, or in case I ride with a "buddy". Thanks again!

· Probably drunk right now
6,758 Posts
The why...

sbpinnacle said:
Thanks to all for the feedback... looks like a new melon protector is in order for me. I just took another look and there was very little impact on outer shell, most was on the compressed foam to the lower right, nice big mud stain for good reference. I can't see any damage but I'm not willing to take the chance at this point. I'm a little klutzy to begin with, I know I'll be crashing again! I'll keep this one around for emergencies, or in case I ride with a "buddy". Thanks again!
I'd throw it out. Everyone else has provided the correct answer. The reason why is that the foam underneath the shell stays compressed after an impact. It's done it's job and it can't do that job again. If someone using that helmet falls and impacts in the same area, they will have no protection in that area.

In addition, the helmet helps protect your melon by diffusing the force generated by the impact across the helmet. On close inspection of the underside of the helmet, you may or may not see cracks in the foam away from the area of impact. They're likely there. The overall structural integrity of the helmet is shot.

· Registered
26 Posts
This isn't the time to save money, too many people have made the wrong choice of not wearing a helmet or continuing to use an old or damaged helmet. When you consider the risks a new helmet is cheap insurance. If you have to ask about your helmet being replaced that answer is always yes imho.

· Never trust a fart
4,546 Posts
The best thing to do is to call the helmet manufacturer for a crash replacement. They will sell you one at a discounted price and will ask you to return your damaged help for product assessment for future helmet safety design/development.

· Registered
200 Posts
Yep get another one. I face planted and dented the front foam about 1cm in by 2cm wide i guess. Didn't want to risk it cracking or something if i do it (and i will!) again.

And for the record, i too stayed dumb. Maybe its a mtb'er thing or something ;)

· Registered
1,958 Posts
You know, there are many places that have quality helmets for $25 on sale (name brands: Gyro, Bell etc.)

Is your head worth $25?

I just crashed last week. Went OTB onto smooth trail. But I found some area of the shell that had pushed the foam in on the outside. No visible signs on the inside. But I did have some red marks on my forehead from the impact. The helmet did its job. Time to reload for next impact.

I tossed the helmet in case I might be tempted to ride in "for a quick ride."

· Registered
2,239 Posts
if you crashed and your head hurt then yoru helmet was not worth a crap and you need to be looking at a different manufacturer, any time a helmet comes into contact with the ground with your head in it, then it should be replaced.
loose helmets can actually cause injury, a helmet should be snug, especially for aggressive riding.

· gmoney was gmoneybike
303 Posts
Blurr said:
if you crashed and your head hurt then yoru helmet was not worth a crap and you need to be looking at a different manufacturer,
On ocassion your head is going to hurt, regardless of manufacturer. In this instance the helmet did its job, the rider is walking and typing after all. Once the lid is replaced I'm sure the rider will be out on the trails again soon.

· gmoney was gmoneybike
303 Posts
Re-read the various posts again. Withiout knowing more about the full nature of Traffic002's crash and "red" forehead marks, my comment may lack proper context. For clarification, did the helmet slide up upon impact exposing your forehead? Were the red marks from the ground or helmet foam? Perhaps the crash came on so fast you don't remember what exactly happened (been there myself).

I conocur with a snug helmet fit having taken a good digger mid summer. Impact cracked my helmet straight through above the eyebrows; smiley added for effect :madman: . I definetly felt it afterwards, another half inch lower and things would have been uglier. End of story, the helmet stayed in place, did its job, and was replaced before the next ride.

· Probably drunk right now
6,758 Posts
Huh?

Blurr said:
if you crashed and your head hurt then yoru helmet was not worth a crap and you need to be looking at a different manufacturer...
Incorrect statement. A helmet isn't a get out of jail free card from head injuries. It helps protect your head. No rider should go on a ride the expectation that a helmet will in all cases eliminate head injuries or eliminate headaches.

My head hurt plenty after the one concussion I suffered mountain biking.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Blurr said:
if you crashed and your head hurt then yoru helmet was not worth a crap ...
What do you base this statement on? You are absolutely incorrect. I've treated a number of people with good quality, properly fitted safety gear who have still sustained serious injuries or even been killed as a result of an impact to the head.

No helmet is like a force field which magically protects you from all blunt force trauma. Helmets sold in the US all meet the same minimal standards set by the CPSC. Any helmet, properly fitted, will give you the best chance at walking away from an injury, but will not prevent one in all cases.

Read up on helmet standards, how they are tested, and what kind of protection they offer before making statements like that.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.