Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 52, I should probably know better, but have only seriously got into mountain biking in the last 18 months. I will probably break before the bike, but I should have some fun trying.

Couldn't resist posting a few pics. First ever bike I have specced myself and first ever SC.
LT2 medium ano black
Pike Air U-turn
RP23
Hope Mono Mini's
Hope Pro II headset and hubs
DT 4.2 rims
X9 shifters and rear mech
Maxxis Advantage 2.25 (absolute rubbish in light mud - changing them for Panaracer Cinders
29.9 lbs

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
toolittletime said:
Maxxis Advantage 2.25 (absolute rubbish in light mud - changing them for Panaracer Cinders
Cinders are also pretty useless in mud, light or otherwise. FireXCs are better, trail rakers if its like this year's Mayhem.

Nice BLT2 by the way :) I like the red Hope stuff against the black ano. Just don't go looking at the red Mono4's Hope are doing this months ;)

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
TLT - Sweet build, really nice, be super fast..... 52 is not old either. Go hard bro.... Will keep you fit and healthy, that is a bonus..... Enjoy...

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
It looks nice. Your age is between mine and the friend I most often ride with and there's no way we could have that nice looking bike with the big ring on it catching rocks and logs, so you're doing just fine.

Ditch the ring for a bash guard and get some knee/shin and elbow guards for some confidence and protection when you're pushing it and you'll be fine.

We don't get big air, but we use all the 130 mm of suspension we have at our age and I'm going to be getting a bike with more travel before the summer is out so ride on and have fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
al_bullit, just don't go there with the red Hope M4's. Considered upgrading to AM kit then getting LBS to swap them out for the red ones, but didn't want the extra weight or hassle of 4 pots. I bet Hope will bring out a red floating disc at some point

Bitflogger, hmm, think I'll wait until I've trashed the big ring, then replace it, and get some armour at the same time. Nearly everything we cycle at the moment has a pretty soft landing, but looking to get further afield. Need some guys to do it with though.

Anyone out there based around northern Perthshire in Scotland?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
al_bullit, for ***** sake stop telling me about interesting ways to spend even more money. Reading your replies could end up costing me more than the wife does. I think I need to break a few bits before I can justify spending any more

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

Great looking bike, I'm 46 just been riding 18 months, just gotta keep pedling and hope for the best :), I'm on my second SC both are great fun, the Pike is a good fork.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Yes, you are too old for a BLT2. An older SL would be perfect for someone your age. By coincidence, I have an older Superlight, and I would be willing to trade you straight up to rectify this situation as soon as possible so you don't hurt yourself old man. :D

Awesome build. You've pretty much specced out my dream bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeffus - nice pair (fnaar, fnaar). When do you choose the hardtail rather than going for the comfort? Do I see Cotswold stone in the background?

Sooner518 - thanks for your very tempting offer, but I think I can just resist :D

·
This is how it started...
341 Posts
You old dog, you. I am 51 and have a BLT1 and am really considering the upgrade. So thanks for the post to keep me thinking I can still do a bike like that justice.

A friend has a BLT2 I plan on riding for a couple of days to really convince me it is a better ride. Really like your color scheme. I am going to add the Gravity Dropper though. If you are over 40 I guess you are allowed to use one. It's amazing what it will allow you to do on the bike.
Nice post and ride till you can't!

·
Registered
255 Posts
nice bike, never to old, just avoid falling off, as i have found to my peril the older you are the more i seem to hurt myself. You also recover more slowly from surgery, as i have discovered!

Great bike, nice set up, get out and enjoy, your as young as you feel.

Jez

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yow, I'm 51 y.o. but feel like a kid on Xmas eve, ordered my BLT2 from LBS yesterday and they say it'll be ready tomorrow - er today as it's after midnite now. Just walked in and ordered it, no test ride even (tho I rode a Blur Classic once). Got the straight R-AM kit with 32 Talas and Float-R. I've never done anything so impulsive. I used to build custom frames, and have been mountain biking since 1980, used to be so opinionated about every last bolt and spoke nipple, now I'm getting a bone-stock bike straight out of a cardboad box, a first. Heaviest bike I've ever owned too. I think I'm gonna love it anyway though.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hey Toolittletime, they are a fun pair, :) I find that I ride hardtail when I'm on my own , I seem to do more xc trails, and when I'm with the gang we tend to do more faster , gnarlier trails and in an effort to keep up as an old dog the heckler does the trick, only me holding it back,it seems to climb more techy stuff , better traction and comes down with less of a clatter :) I'm thinking BLT2 next year maybe see how the finances go, the stone is sunny welsh stone, North wales.
The Chameleon is around 26lb and the Heckler around 32lb, I had my Heckler down around 28lb was a real flier at that weight amazing how a few pounds makes a difference, I'm off to Morzine in a few of weeks so I've beefed her up a bit for the down hill, bigger disks, DH tyres tubes,
Cheers Jeffus

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Toolittletime, the BLT2 is what all the "old folks" are riding these days. They are not allowed to ride anything more aggressive, as the nursing homes are already filled to capacity with geezers trying to ride over their heads.

We more youthful and "qualified" riders are using Nomads, as they are a better match to our mad skills and hardbodies. Have fun with your great looking BLT2, but keep that AARP medical insurance card handy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.