Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I new to the forum, but I've been riding on and off for about 8 years on my 2000 GT Rebound. It also spent 2 years with my cousin in Colorado and Utah.

From what I remember and what I can still find online, it's a mediocre bike with a fairly strong 7000 series aluminum frame. At this point, I'm looking to upgrade the fork since I'm not ready to get rid of it nor do I have the funds available to get a new bike. When I spoke with the guy at the bike shop he said that I would have to keep the travel on my fork at 80mm because the frame can't handle it. The original fork (Judy XC) was designed to travel up to 100mm so I figured that the bike was designed to handle at least that much.

What is the maximum travel my frame can handle? The frame is the GT triple triangle design like the ones that are offered today. I was looking at the Recon 318 which travels 85-130mm, the Recon air - 100mm, Marzocchi 700 XC - 90-130mm and the 600 XC 100-140mm. Do you think the frame can handle 100mm+ travel?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Brian

·
AKA Dr.Nob
887 Posts
I too would not go any more than 100mm.

Oh and by the way your bike isn't likely to be a 2000 model if you've been riding it for 8 years and your cousin had it for another 2

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
stick with 100 mm

and DON'T buy a new fork for that bike. Save some money and buy something decent that's used, otherwise you're spending the same amount on a new fork as the bike is worth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.