Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently overhauled my rear hub on my '02 Trek 6700. When I put it back together I have the following problems:

1. If I tighten it up then put I on the bike it binds up and won't turn very well.
2. If I leave it loose and the put it on the bike it seems a bit loose and the rim moves back and forth a bit.

My other bikes don't have this problem. ( I also never took them apart like this.) Is there something I am missing here? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
disassemble

and reassemble making sure that the bearing cups are position correctly (try to download the exploded diagram of your hub from the mfrs web site). Adjust it so it's slightly loose as the clamping action of the QR will tighten it just a little bit.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You need to get in the middle of the two adjustments you made, it just takes a bit of time and practice to get the right feel so that when you clamp it in the dropouts it's smooth rolling and without side to side play. Try parktool.com or sheldonbrown.com for adjustment techniques...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.