Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have not been riding or in possession of a bike for 3 years or so, prior to that I used to ride regularly with a Marin Eldridge Grade (Rigid version).

I woul dnow like to start again, and now I'm earning better, woul dlike to treat myself to a really nice bike, needs to be some what of an allrounder though.

I want something that can hack it going downhill with some firends who all have downhill rigs, but also get uphill and singletrack type stuff. Also needs to be happy on tow paths with my wife and child, and heres the killer bit, I'm probably going to have to fix a child trailer or seat to it for tow path duties etc, doesn't matter if this makes it heavy/slow as it will be gentle afternoon tow path excusrions etc.

I'm looking to keep the budget under £2000, but would go over that slightly if it was a killer bike that did everything, I also want it to last for a long time.

I've currently been looking at specialized, stumpjumper, hardtail and FSR, enduro sl and epic, also had a look at the scott carbon hardtail today.

I am now just confusing myself and could really do with some recommendations to help create a shortlist of say 4 or 5 bikes worth taking out on test rides etc.

Thanks for your help folks.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
May I just suggest multiple bikes for all these purposes?
Dude, hauling a kid trailer around in a DH rig is just weird =P
If you bought online though, and it sounds like you want to test ride it before you buy it. Online would allow you to meet all your needs, with killer specs, under your budget. Two new bikes is a helluva way to start a new year!

with that kind of budget you could crazy:
Get two online bikes, woo!
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ZON-FR-1-Details.html
+
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-RCE-Details.html
lol.

·
Banned
462 Posts
Based on what you looked at here's a summary:
Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail - XC hardtail
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR - XC/All mountain Full Suspension
Specialized Enduro - All mountain Full Suspension
Specialized Epic - Race XC Full Suspension
Specialized Scott Scale - Race XC Hardtail

Find out which category of biking you plan to do.
Then look at all the bike in that category you want to consider.

For instance, the Stumpjumper FSR is similar to:
Titus Motolite
Santa Cruz Blur LT
Cannondale Rush

The Stumpjumper Hardail is similiar to:
Trek 8500/8000
Gary Fisher Zigurat/Big Sur

The Epic is similiar to:
Titus Racer-X
Turner Flux
Cannondale Scalpel
Iron Horse Azure

The Scott Scale is similiar to:
Trek 9.8/9.9
Giant XTC Carbon

The Enduro is similiar to:
Titus Motolite
Santa Cruz Blur LT
Cannondale Rush
Giant Trance
Iron Horst MKIII

The Ibex spam is really getting old...:rolleyes:

Edit: Based on your description you might want to take a look at an All mountain bike like the Specialized Enduro. The Enduro is built like the Stumpjumper FSR but more rugged for down hilling. There are few bikes quite like the Enduro from what I've seen. If that's too much of a downhilling bike you might consider the Stumpjumper FSR class of bikes which are a little speedier. And also consider at the Titus Motolite, which like the SJ FSR is also an AM/XC hybrid. The main difference between those bikes is the amount of travel you have on the front and rear shox.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
He already said that he wanted a bike to do All Mtn, XC, recreational, and DH.

Kind of a lot if you ask me, and hes got a big budget so it is prob. smarter to split into two bikes.

Plus, uber high end bikes will just be a target for bike thieves.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
I don't know UK pricing but

assuming your friends on DH rigs are railing and hucking, look at an Enduro SL comp, sorry, don't know the weight, but 150mm (about 6") of travel will do you nicely and the bike will do double duty for trails.

If you're riding less aggressively (more trails and not much hucking and dropping), the 5" Stumpy will do you nicely, it handles descents very well.

Use those 2 as benchmarks to start looking. skip mail order bikes, as parts from the US to the UK will leave you off the bike waiting for a shipment so you can ride. Choose a bike that has easy service if you're going to be riding a bit of the rough stuff.

OK on to plan B: get down to the local bike shop or second hand store and get the cheapest beater you can find for your size et viola! that's your new tow the kid bike.

Good luck, Jim

·
Banned
462 Posts
JimC. said:
assuming your friends on DH rigs are railing and hucking, look at an Enduro SL comp, sorry, don't know the weight, but 150mm (about 6") of travel will do you nicely and the bike will do double duty for trails.

If you're riding less aggressively (more trails and not much hucking and dropping), the 5" Stumpy will do you nicely, it handles descents very well.

Use those 2 as benchmarks to start looking. skip mail order bikes, as parts from the US to the UK will leave you off the bike waiting for a shipment so you can ride. Choose a bike that has easy service if you're going to be riding a bit of the rough stuff.

OK on to plan B: get down to the local bike shop or second hand store and get the cheapest beater you can find for your size et viola! that's your new tow the kid bike.

Good luck, Jim
:thumbsup: I like the plan~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.