Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...if we do it at night...:thumbsup:

Thinking of like a 7 or 8 pm Fri. or Sat. launch for the full meal deal. Then beers and grills waiting for us...then getting naked...oops...wrong forum...

Thoughts? Wouldn't be for a few weeks due to some travel I've got coming up, but something to think about...

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
So are ya saying this ride with lites? An out and back would take 5ish hrs. That means back at the cars at midnight. Safer for the cars if we start out at the North TH. Think about it, doing this ride with lites would be great.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
helimech said:
So are ya saying this ride with lites? An out and back would take 5ish hrs. That means back at the cars at midnight. Safer for the cars if we start out at the North TH. Think about it, doing this ride with lites would be great.
Yepper...I know that I, for one, would have to pack an extra battery. Sure do NOT want to have your light die in the middle of the out-and-back.

And maybe start at 6 to get done at 11-ish, but at that hour, who cares what time we finish...

I just like this concept...adds an interesting and "different" twist to a typical ride.

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
The monk and I are most likely in.

Jeff has been wanting to do this for the longest time. He actually just brought it up the other day. For the full meal deal, the lights are the only issue or battery burn time actually. You would definitely need a backup battery and I'm not sure I can afford to buy two extra battery packs for the HIDs. Although I think I may have some NR Trailrat halogens, so if they are still operational that adds an extra 1.5 - 2 hrs of burn time.

Still, it could be fun to dodge the mtn lions. Imagine all the cool stuff stalking you at night! ;) Dale (epicrider) would love this ride!

I guess for those with limited battery burn time, they could turn around at the top of the LPL or have a shuttle vehicle at the TM TH.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd be up for this. We would still need a lot of water, too. Packs will be heavy.

hhhmmmm, grilling at midnight?
and Jeff can bring some (or all) of the beer since he's found the WORLD CLASS El Salvadorian brewski

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
If Walt is thinking starting at 6, it doesn't get dark till 7:30ish. If we all stay close we could conserve battery usage and if the moon is out that would help also. Looking fwd to this ride. MMMM beer, el salvadorian????. Later.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm...the full-moon weekend is the logical choice, but I've got a conflict with my daughter's swim meet. I will see if I can wiggle out of the Sat. evening session...

Otherwise, what about the 12th or 26th? (both are Saturdays)

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,181 Posts
waltaz said:
Hmm...the full-moon weekend is the logical choice, but I've got a conflict with my daughter's swim meet. I will see if I can wiggle out of the Sat. evening session...

Otherwise, what about the 12th or 26th? (both are Saturdays)
The weekend before the full moon is the best option because at least the moon will be up. The weekend after will be no moon for much of the ride.

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
Yes I would love to do this ride, but if it is held in mid July, I'l be In Oregon biking for two weeks and will I have to miss out on this one.

su.ling~ said:
The monk and I are most likely in.

Jeff has been wanting to do this for the longest time. He actually just brought it up the other day. For the full meal deal, the lights are the only issue or battery burn time actually. You would definitely need a backup battery and I'm not sure I can afford to buy two extra battery packs for the HIDs. Although I think I may have some NR Trailrat halogens, so if they are still operational that adds an extra 1.5 - 2 hrs of burn time.

Still, it could be fun to dodge the mtn lions. Imagine all the cool stuff stalking you at night! ;) Dale (epicrider) would love this ride!

I guess for those with limited battery burn time, they could turn around at the top of the LPL or have a shuttle vehicle at the TM TH.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Saturday, July 12th?

DurtGurl said:
The weekend before the full moon is the best option because at least the moon will be up. The weekend after will be no moon for much of the ride.
Thanks to Kathleen's big brain, Saturday, July 12th will be close to a Waxing Gibbous Moon: http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/aboutmoonphases.html

Which should provide a decent amount of moonlight to help.

If we planned for a 6 pm launch, we'd be able to get almost two hours of riding in before lights would be needed, and we'd get done around 11 pm. Will be a bit hot to start, but we'll be climbing the east side of the ridges, and would be in the shade most of the time.

Thoughts on this date and time?

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
tiffanyinanthem said:
It sounds like SO much FUN but I do horrible in the heat. Can I just show up at 11p and enjoy the BBQ and beers? lol

Tiff
You would be a "Little" maybe I would say. Not like you're a BIG girl or anything. ;) Bring Will so he can stretch his legs. :thumbsup:

I wanna know who's BBQing. I know it was mentioned, but who want to BBQ that friggin' late unless you're all hopped up from doing a fantastic long ride? And who's bringin' the barbi?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.