Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to Mountain Biking, just bought a Fisher Tass (2 months ago) with Manitou Axel Elite TPC Lockout. Riding yesterday and got a loud pop after compressing the fork. TPC Lockout quit working and shock is very soft. I am a heavy rider at 230lbs. What happened to my fork and is my weight the cause of failure? Is this a warranty issue? I am a non agressive rider but would like a fork that I can ride daily without worry. Do not need a lot of travel only riding trails and maybe some creek beds. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Warranty issue - return to LBS

kingsfull said:
New to Mountain Biking, just bought a Fisher Tass (2 months ago) with Manitou Axel Elite TPC Lockout. Riding yesterday and got a loud pop after compressing the fork. TPC Lockout quit working and shock is very soft. I am a heavy rider at 230lbs. What happened to my fork and is my weight the cause of failure? Is this a warranty issue? I am a non agressive rider but would like a fork that I can ride daily without worry. Do not need a lot of travel only riding trails and maybe some creek beds. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Sorry for all the questions.
Definitely a warranty issue, take your bike back to the LBS where you made your purchase ASAP. Don't touch the fork yourself, it may void the warranty.

Your LBS should check the sag (change in travel when you sit on your bike with shoes, accessories like Camelbak) and change the coil spring if you are outside the recommended 20-25% of total travel. Insist on this.

They should probably have fitted a firm ride kit for your weight: If you have an 80mm travel fork the kit order no. is 83-2137 if it is a 100mm travel fork then the no. is 83-2140.
According to Manitou the Axel Elite has Fluid Flow damping(FFD) and NOT TPC. The FFD could possibly have a lockout though.
You won't need more than 100mm travel for the type of riding that you do. More than that will change the handling of your bike (slow it down)
BTW the Tassajara is a superb bike, great handling and good bang for your buck!
Post a reply if you get an answer from your LBS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
goatman said:
Definitely a warranty issue, take your bike back to the LBS where you made your purchase ASAP. Don't touch the fork yourself, it may void the warranty.

Your LBS should check the sag (change in travel when you sit on your bike with shoes, accessories like Camelbak) and change the coil spring if you are outside the recommended 20-25% of total travel. Insist on this.

They should probably have fitted a firm ride kit for your weight: If you have an 80mm travel fork the kit order no. is 83-2137 if it is a 100mm travel fork then the no. is 83-2140.
According to Manitou the Axel Elite has Fluid Flow damping(FFD) and NOT TPC. The FFD could possibly have a lockout though.
You won't need more than 100mm travel for the type of riding that you do. More than that will change the handling of your bike (slow it down)
BTW the Tassajara is a superb bike, great handling and good bang for your buck!
Post a reply if you get an answer from your LBS.
Goat-

Thanks for the info. I took the bike to my LBS and had to leave it for a couple of days. The mechanic called today and said Manitou has a recall on the fork. There is a defective part he would have to replace. I also asked him about the firm ride kit and he suggested using a heavier weight oil first and seeing how that feels. Sounds like a cop out to me. What do you think? He also said I would have to buy the firm sping. Is this the norm or is usually provided as part of the bike? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Firm spring first

kingsfull said:
Goat-

Thanks for the info. I took the bike to my LBS and had to leave it for a couple of days. The mechanic called today and said Manitou has a recall on the fork. There is a defective part he would have to replace. I also asked him about the firm ride kit and he suggested using a heavier weight oil first and seeing how that feels. Sounds like a cop out to me. What do you think? He also said I would have to buy the firm sping. Is this the norm or is usually provided as part of the bike? Thanks for the help.
You should insist on help from your LBS as far as setting up the fork for your weight, as I said in the previous thread. They should put a zip tie on one of the fork stanchions (uppers) after moving the small fork boot(black rubber boot) up to the top of the stanchion. You should then sit on the bike as you would normally ride with all your gear, shoes etc. The bike should be supported externally at the time so you don't fall over!
You should be getting 20-25% of total travel as sag(16mm-20mm if your fork is 80mm travel, 20-25mm if 100mm travel), measure this below the zip tie.
If you get significantly MORE sag, go for the firmer spring. Manitou does not provide different coil springs free of charge, you have to order and pay....but a good LBS should have done a deal for you and set the bike up properly when you bought it!
Heavier weight oil will change the damping characteristics (that is slowing down of compression and rebound) of the fork which may make it function poorly on the trails. It is designed for a specific weight oil so stick to that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
goatman said:
You should insist on help from your LBS as far as setting up the fork for your weight, as I said in the previous thread. They should put a zip tie on one of the fork stanchions (uppers) after moving the small fork boot(black rubber boot) up to the top of the stanchion. You should then sit on the bike as you would normally ride with all your gear, shoes etc. The bike should be supported externally at the time so you don't fall over!
You should be getting 20-25% of total travel as sag(16mm-20mm if your fork is 80mm travel, 20-25mm if 100mm travel), measure this below the zip tie.
If you get significantly MORE sag, go for the firmer spring. Manitou does not provide different coil springs free of charge, you have to order and pay....but a good LBS should have done a deal for you and set the bike up properly when you bought it!
Heavier weight oil will change the damping characteristics (that is slowing down of compression and rebound) of the fork which may make it function poorly on the trails. It is designed for a specific weight oil so stick to that.
I really appreciate the help. I will talk with my LBS today and instruct them to use the proper weight oil. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
kingsfull said:
I really appreciate the help. I will talk with my LBS today and instruct them to use the proper weight oil. Thanks again.
good advice from goatman!!
definitely get the proper springs before going with heavier oil, that's a total copout on LBS mechanic's side, he should know better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.