Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to pick up a 2010 100 mm SID at a great price. This would go on my Intense XVP. I weigh 190 and was told that I am too fat for a SID and should stick to a Reba or a FOX. Is this right?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
jrsbike said:
I have a chance to pick up a 2010 100 mm SID at a great price. This would go on my Intense XVP. I weigh 190 and was told that I am too fat for a SID and should stick to a Reba or a FOX. Is this right?
Wow, I just looked at my SID and it looks like your friend was right.
There are plenty of heavier riders riding lightweight forks like Sids and R7s. A lot depends on how you ride though. If you ride aggressively and tend to just plow through stuff rather than being a finesse rider, it may not be right for you.
I only weigh 165, but I do have both a Sid and a Reba, and my personal recommendation (not because of your weight) would be to get the Reba unless you're a serious WW. A Reba is only a few ounces heavier and is a little easier to perform maintenance and doesn't require as frequent maintenance because it holds more oil in the lowers.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hilarious!!

trailville said:
Wow, I just looked at my SID and it looks like your friend was right.
There are plenty of heavier riders riding lightweight forks like Sids and R7s. A lot depends on how you ride though. If you ride aggressively and tend to just plow through stuff rather than being a finesse rider, it may not be right for you.
I only weigh 165, but I do have both a Sid and a Reba, and my personal recommendation (not because of your weight) would be to get the Reba unless you're a serious WW. A Reba is only a few ounces heavier and is a little easier to perform maintenance and doesn't require as frequent maintenance because it holds more oil in the lowers.
That is too funny. I rode my old SID while weighing anywhere from 190-210. I never thought about being "too fat" until I upgraded my fork. After doing so, and feeling the difference, I was scared at what might have been.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
vessel said:
That is too funny. I rode my old SID while weighing anywhere from 190-210. I never thought about being "too fat" until I upgraded my fork. After doing so, and feeling the difference, I was scared at what might have been.
The new Sids (since 2009) are stiffer than the old ones though. I don't think you would get that same feel from a new Sid. The new Sids are really just slightly lighter versions of the Reba.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What are you looking to use the SID for? Unless it's for out and out XC racing I'd look for something stiffer and IMO a 15mm QR or Maxle. Not because you'd be unsafe on the SID necessarily (what do I know!) but because the SID seems to give up features and stiffness to save a few grams.

I have a 2010 SID WC XX which I quite like (not fantastic IMO) but my riding has come on a lot recently and my descending speed has picked up and I'm noticing the lack of a larger axle and also the lack of adjustment on the damping. But it depends on what you intend to use it for :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I better go on a diet. Maybe I'll start by getting a haircut tomorrow.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ruds: You make a good point. My riding is mostly technical New England single track and a strong front end is important to me in order to make quick directional changes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not to say it's not safe or strong enough but I'd rather it felt stiffer and in my opinion 9mm open drop outs belong on road bikes and are massively inferior compared to the larger MTB equivalents. On my road bike I can feel the difference between weight weenie QR's and a heavier traditional Dura Ace QR and this is on the road sprinting not plowing through rocks or roots...

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I recently put a 2011 SID 120 (with 15mm axle) on an Intense Spider 2 and have found it to be plenty stiff. (I am a about 180lbs with gear). So far it has been a great fork. Stiff, smooth, and controlled. Also very light.

(for comparison, my other fork is a RS Totem coil...The Sid is obviously less stiff, but does not feel like a noodle by any means).

I think Rockshox is pretty much phasing out the Reba line (other than 29's) in favor of the redesigned SID's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.