Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a rook when it comes to mountain biking... But I am looking into bikes in the $1K-$1.5K Full Suspension range, and for the money Ibex bikes seem to blow EVERYONE out of the water with what components are offered on the bikes.

Is it too good to be true? What are the down sides to IBEX? Reliable, Quality, Brand, Frame?

I am really concerned with the purchase of a long lasting frame... If this is though, I am all about it! :D

Thanks.

·
Trail runner & mtn biker
42 Posts
I have taken my Ibex Super Ignition down very steep descents, through rock gardens, mud, and creeks and have had no problems with the frame or components.

Like previously mentioned, the frame is made in Taiwan. However, that does not indicate a level of subpar quality because a majority of GREAT bikes are coming from Asia these days. It just means you are not supporting a USA manufacturer. Then again, a purchase does support a USA designer and retailer since Ibex is in Atlanta, GA metro.

The only negative about Ibex bikes is the lack of free bike shop support. But when you consider how much money you save, paying for a tune up or two at a local bike shop is peanuts. Assembly is not an issue because all you have to install are the pedals, one wheel, the seatpost, and handlebars...30 minutes tops.

I am very happy with my Ibex and have recommended it to many friends. Some have actually bought an Ibex after hearing from me. :cornut:

·
uhhhhhyea
335 Posts
I can really only speak for the frame here (probably your biggest concern anyways, since all the components are well-known and quality) since I built it from the frame up w/ my own components... but my atlas pro has been nothing but satisfying since day 1. At this point, if my bike was stolen or fell off into the river (god forbid!) They would def. be the first place I'd look at buying a whole bike.

So far this season, TWICE I've been in situations where I screwed up, and my bike stepped up and literally saved my ass. First was flying down a very rocky downhill section... with my fork left LOCKED OUT on accident. Actually it was ETA so i had about 30mm of travel but the front of my bike was jumping around like a rabid ferret. The back was sticking like glue, I'm sure it would have been interesting to watch... but yeah I wouldn't recommend trying it.

2nd time was on sunday, I went out for an easy ride on the paved trail right behind my apartment. There's a 2-3' (depending on where you jump off) drop behind this parking lot right next to the trail that I've done before, but this time went off the highest part, and had one of those "ok...I should have landed by now... wtf?" moments as the drop was about a foot taller than I expected... needless to say, when I landed my butt was about 3" above the back tire, behind the axle (!) but I stuck the landing. The geometry and suspension on this bike are SICK!

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
I'm on my second Ibex now and both bikes are still kicking and asking for more... The frames are well designed and have a pretty high quality build. They ride very nicely and a lot of stuff and i find most Ibex bikes i've had the pleasure of saddle time on have had a flickable characteristic in them. They dont feel big and clumsy, but lively and easy to manuever. I also find that Ibex bikes are pretty darn tough. Me not being the smoothest rider out there have been beating on both my bikes for a while including dogonfr's bikes. The bikes just flat out perform without a wimper...

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
The frames are well designed, geometry is amazing & as mentioned are strong. I have done all frame up builds, first was a Asta that totally shocked me, second the Atlas have to say this bike is a blast & my favorite last is a Ignition which is a very nimble 4 bar. I ride AM/FR/DH & pump track dont like to climb but love the descending, my son even launched the Asta off a 7+ foot ladder drop, this was a '06 Asta which was over built for it's intended use, the '07's just got a diet & roomier cockpit but is still the same quality bike. :rockon:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would agree with everyone here. There are a couple of draw backs like no LBS support and you cant ride one until you get it (unless there is someone with one close to you) and the whole "name brand" thingy you know in case you like to spend $500.00 more for a name :D :D

I love my Iggy Super!!! Last Saturday I was riding on my local trail on this downhill section and I got off line into the rocks (head sized with large points not round) and I just held on and went right over them surprised the shitake out of me I thought for sure I was going OTB but the bike just floated over them. I like to think it was my sweet ninja skills kicking in but you know how that goes. :p

Rich S.

·
Hardtail Warrior
509 Posts
Everyone has pretty much nailed it. Some LBS support would be nice but that is inherent in the price tag of these other bikes. Other than that, I can't complain at all about my bike. It has been awesome since day 1. Riding 50+ miles over the weekend on a FS really makes me want one of those bad boys but my HT will do until I get some extra cash in the bank.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You will not by any means find a better equipped current year new bike for a lower price than Ibex. They are catalog frames which work just fine, they don't have the patented full suspension designs like dw, fsr, vpp, etc. but there is nothing wrong with a faux-bar or single pivot design (look at Santa Cruz single pivots i.e. Heckler, Superlight, etc. and all of Kona or Transition bikes using Faux-bars).

Heck you could buy a Trophy Pro for $1300
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-PRO-Details.html

Throw the Trophy frame out your window (watch out for passers by :p)

Buy a Santa Cruz Blur XC frame with VPP for $1800

Build it up with the components from the Trophy frame that was thrown out the window and you have yourself a $3100 bike that would cost you about $4100 to buy complete from Santa Cruz.

http://www.santacruzmtb.com/blurxc/index.php?pricing=1

(the SPX XC build with the Reba is almost identical to the Trophy build)

So I say buy it for the components and if you feel the need to fit in at the LBS you can swap the frame.

·
Registered
151 Posts
so far so good...

like any bike company- you find people that have had issues.
For the money Ibex has a good product.
I'm concerned a little about quality though, but I do realize "you get what you pay for", I got a new Super Ignition in Feb- already rubbed thru the paint in several areas due to cable rub around the TT, the paint is VERY thin. I'm starting to get squeaky pivots too which I HOPE isn't going to cause any flex issue with the susp- there has been issues with this model - basically because this is a first run/batch for this model...again with any new product there will be issues pop up and only time will show if the bikes can hold up to the abuse. This is a pretty tight/loyal fan base here on the forum and the more you research you'll probably run into ALOT of flame/bashing of Ibex (that's a long story) on MTBR.
I feel good about my purchase even if the frame/susp pivots don't hold- I got a great bunch on components I can swap to another frame....and heck at least this bike is getting me in the woods and down the trails, if it breaks then I'll chalk it up to a learning experience...if I had to do it again I don't know if I would have bought a FS though- the idea of a 29er light HT is really appealing to me....especially with rising gas prices and the thought of using my bike for more of a urban commuter / trail bike. Ibex isn't really concerned with the 29er, they have one but it's not what I'm looking for so I doubt my next bike will be an Ibex.
Just giving my honest opinion...I'm sure that others will probably have something negative to say about my post. Anything with Ibex in the thread usually draws fire.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i own an 07 ASTA, and i have nothing bad to say about it...it has kept up with the harsh conditions of the sonoran desert and has won a race...yes, i did have the pivot play issue, and guess what...the IBEX people took care of me...i disassambled the bike by myself and put it back together by msyself...so far, the back has seen around 3k miles within a year of abuse...could have seen a lot more, but i am a med school student, so my time is somewhat limited...so far the ASTA frame has handled the trails here at hermosillo, sonora, which are a good mix of single track, fire roads, per se XC with a good mix of All Mountain...about the squeaky pivots, well i do get sounds from my pivots, but they disappear once i wash the bike really well...i like to take good care of my puppy as she takes care of me when we are flying on the trails...you will not found a better deal on a bike honestly, and also, you dont have to pay taxes unless you live in Georgia...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I bought an 07 Atlas Sport last summer. I was unsure about buying online, but I knew the components were solid. I even had a back up plan in place to buy a Kona frame I found online cheap and swap out the parts it I didn't like the bike. Needless to say, the Atlas rocks and I am so glad I went with Ibex.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very positive feedback. Thank you for all your Pros and Cons.

I wish I could test ride one but... From the sound of it I think I will be more than satisfied and save some cash! Everyone else seems to be.

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
DirtyJ said:
like any bike company- you find people that have had issues.
For the money Ibex has a good product.
I'm concerned a little about quality though, but I do realize "you get what you pay for", I got a new Super Ignition in Feb- already rubbed thru the paint in several areas due to cable rub around the TT, the paint is VERY thin. I'm starting to get squeaky pivots too which I HOPE isn't going to cause any flex issue with the susp- there has been issues with this model - basically because this is a first run/batch for this model...again with any new product there will be issues pop up and only time will show if the bikes can hold up to the abuse. This is a pretty tight/loyal fan base here on the forum and the more you research you'll probably run into ALOT of flame/bashing of Ibex (that's a long story) on MTBR.
I feel good about my purchase even if the frame/susp pivots don't hold- I got a great bunch on components I can swap to another frame....and heck at least this bike is getting me in the woods and down the trails, if it breaks then I'll chalk it up to a learning experience...if I had to do it again I don't know if I would have bought a FS though- the idea of a 29er light HT is really appealing to me....especially with rising gas prices and the thought of using my bike for more of a urban commuter / trail bike. Ibex isn't really concerned with the 29er, they have one but it's not what I'm looking for so I doubt my next bike will be an Ibex.
Just giving my honest opinion...I'm sure that others will probably have something negative to say about my post. Anything with Ibex in the thread usually draws fire.
The paint on my Gary Fisher was worn thru from cable rub after one ride. Not sure why people worry about that anyways. It's a mountain bike and if it's used for it's intended purpose then guess what, it's gonna get beat up.

·
Tossin the salad.
737 Posts
I came from a gary fisher Marlin which has the genesis frame and supported the LBS ($500).
I did not know about IBEX then.

I then found out about IBEX, called them, talked to peps on here and ordered my bike.
Assembly was simple. Took maybe 30 min to get'er done!

I owned mine for about a month now. Only problem I had was the front skewer coming loose. Called IBEX tech and sent me another one for an exchange (quick service).

I am amazed in the quality of the bike and it's components. Very light Asta (XC) and a guy that ownes a Titus was amazed of its design and welds that are on it.

*** On the downlow - my son will be turning 11 this October and right now he rides a Specialized Hot Rocks (24") and I am looking at getting him an IBEX Alpine Hard-tail (small) as everyone else on here, they seem to do more mad stuff then I am willing to do and quality seems tuff. So what are you waiting for? ;)

Here: http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes-Hub-MTB.html :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.