Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like I have been breaking SRAM chains at an unusually high rate lately. I think I have a 59 on one bike and a 99 on another. Both have broken under seemingly light loads and neither are worn much, according to my chain checker. Both are being run on Shimano drive trains. Seems I never really had any issues with Shimano chains but I really do like the gold link for cleaning my chain, especially considering how easy it is to contaminate disc brake pads.

Any comments?

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
I have had the opposite

I have broken numerous shimano chains but never a Sram one. In fact I guy I know was riding his bike for a week with it making an odd noise on inspection it was missing the out side plate on one link and still held together I wouldn't have belived it if I didn't see it. I always run the hollow pin modle.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Johnny Hair Boy said:
I have broken numerous shimano chains but never a Sram one. In fact I guy I know was riding his bike for a week with it making an odd noise on inspection it was missing the out side plate on one link and still held together I wouldn't have belived it if I didn't see it. I always run the hollow pin modle.
What is happening to my chains is really wierd. The link that breaks is always splayed wide open at one end. Any thoughts on this?

·
a tight kick sound
1,812 Posts
Me too!

I have had the same thing happen to me....2X for sheeeit sake :eek:
Took the chain back to my LBS and had it fixed the first time.
The second time happened when I was cranking up a really steep hill.
Though it might be my e13 chain guide but the chain line is ok and not really out of wack.
Could possibly be that the LBS made the chain to short to start with. Got to go back and check it is the correct length.

Not sure if that helps...at least you are not alone on this one!

Boone

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Look for bent teeth and any other irregularities in the drive train. Same was happening to me and couldn't figure it out...turned out to be two teeth on the middle ring that somehow a rock had hit and slightly forced in opposite directions. It slowly pulled by chain apart everytime until I took a hammer and file to that ring.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ibmkidIII said:
Look for bent teeth and any other irregularities in the drive train. Same was happening to me and couldn't figure it out...turned out to be two teeth on the middle ring that somehow a rock had hit and slightly forced in opposite directions. It slowly pulled by chain apart everytime until I took a hammer and file to that ring.
Interesting. I have to have a good look at all my teeth. I have had bent teeth on a cassette before and I certainly smack my fair share of rocks with my crank.

·
Registered
196 Posts
XTRKona said:
What is happening to my chains is really wierd. The link that breaks is always splayed wide open at one end. Any thoughts on this?
This exact thing happened to me this weekend during a race. :mad:
The outside plate seperated and bent, then the chain slid off the pin. I was not shifting or cross-chaining...it just snapped. Not at the powerlink either.

Anyway, I bought a Wipperman and am going to give it a try.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have used both Shimano and SRAM chains to great effect. I have only had one chain (SRAM) break on me and that was due to really unusual circumstances involving a frakensteined chain and a singlespeed conversion due to a busted rear derailleur hanger. That'll learn me for not bringing silver links on the trail...

:p

·
screamer
1,385 Posts
Weird: I've had 3 breakages of the same SRAM chain in the past month, and never before had any problems with them (and this is a pretty new chain). I had a sticky link, and really had to work the thing to get it to ease up; that might have something to do with it. I was also wondering if maybe I just didn't get the pin in all the way after it broke the first time, and it just couldn't handle the strain.
Either way, I think I'm going to replace it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
budgie said:
Weird: I've had 3 breakages of the same SRAM chain in the past month, and never before had any problems with them (and this is a pretty new chain). I had a sticky link, and really had to work the thing to get it to ease up; that might have something to do with it. I was also wondering if maybe I just didn't get the pin in all the way after it broke the first time, and it just couldn't handle the strain.
Either way, I think I'm going to replace it.
Which type of chain was it? SRAMs later models in 7, 8 & 9 speeds have "power links" that make chain repair super easy.

·
screamer
1,385 Posts
Th' Mule said:
Which type of chain was it? SRAMs later models in 7, 8 & 9 speeds have "power links" that make chain repair super easy.
It's a 970. I'd say the powerlink makes SOME repairs easy. When the links broke, the plates were bent & ready for the trash, so in order to get it back to the right length, I added extra links that I had saved from when I first installed it (figuring that it was a pretty new chain anyway). I've heard that this creates a weakness in the chain, which may well have contributed to the multiple breakages. Anyone confirm this? Seems a bummer to have to replace a whole chain --especially if it's pretty new & in good condition-- when you break a single link. The fact that SRAM chains go back together well (usually without sticky links) is one of the main benefits over Shimano ones, IMHO.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've snapped SOOOOO many SRAM power links so far it's not even funny! Whoever says the power links are strong can eat it.

I stick to the cheap $9 chains now that don't have master links. They allow for the pins to be removed and put back in with a chain tool. Just about every master link I've ever had has been more of a biotch to get off than just using a chain tool on proper chains. I haven't had a single $9 chain break once on me yet and I stand up to pedal all the time ike Im on a single speed. I'm also a big heavy guy and I torque the crap out of it.

I just need to buy a new chain every 5-6 months, but at least I never have to deal with the damn chain snapping ever again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.