Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Anyone have any news? If not, what would you like to see?

I'll start:

Steeper seat angle
Bit more reach
Metric shock compatibility
All it takes to mimic the function of a steeper SA is a saddle with longer rails or a (as of now non-existent) step forward drop post. And being more forward on the bike ONLY works on uphills. If you live in flattish country (or do shuttle runs) you do not want a saddle forward.

But a question: why this obsession with changing things that do not need to be changed? Just to buy more? ride your (fantastic) bike instead!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All it takes to mimic the function of a steeper SA is a saddle with longer rails or a (as of now non-existent) step forward drop post. And being more forward on the bike ONLY works on uphills. If you live in flattish country (or do shuttle runs) you do not want a saddle forward.

But a question: why this obsession with changing things that do not need to be changed? Just to buy more? ride your (fantastic) bike instead!
I'm currently don't have a bike. Regarding the seat angle, where I live we have a lot of very steep punchy climbs and at 6'3", these new steeper seat angles really help with the uphills.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'm currently don't have a bike. Regarding the seat angle, where I live we have a lot of very steep punchy climbs and at 6'3", these new steeper seat angles really help with the uphills.
^^^Yes! At 6'3" as well, steep seat angles are a blessing. The taller you are the more a shallow ACTUAL STA puts you over the back wheel. Combined with high center of gravity for us tall guys this makes for very wheelie-prone climbing!

Re HD5, will it happen? Current HD is not that badly out of date geometry-wise, long-travel 27.5 bikes are not a hot ticket any more, and indications are that the Ripmo and Ripley are selling like hot cakes. Personally I'd rather see Ibis put out a "downcountry" 100mm 29er.

Same question for the Mojo, short-travel 27.5 seems to be a dying breed. Is the new Ripley effectively the new Mojo?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The HD4 was dead the day the Ripmo came out. Judging by how the enduro team is playing with their bikes, if they make an HD5 it’s going to be along the lines of a Megatower. 29 inch wheels, longer, slacker in front, steeper seat tube and more progressive so you can run a coil shock.

I think anything new is a long way out. Ripmo’s are still selling like crazy. They are going to ride that wave as long as possible. (Not even changing colors)

·
Dude...
406 Posts
I could totally see the new HD5 being a 29'r in the likes of the Pivot Firebird. Then, they should take the Mojo 3, and warp it into something similar to the HD3. I miss the HD3(I know it already is, but the HD3 was better). One of the best all around trail bikes ever made in my opinion. I guess the Ripmo fits that category now. Maybe create a 27.5" Ripmo?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Oh well, then it is different! You can have a new bike ;) Who knows what will happen with the HD4 but why not a Ripmo ... or stick with the current HD4, you can win a world championship with it if you are good! :thumbsup:

I am set with my HD3. It is almost 5 years old and it can easily last another 5. Hopefully there will be a 27.5 in 2024 ... or maybe I'll switch to e-bike, I'll be entering serious old age by than.:eekster:

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
27.5 is dead :/

they won't do a new 275 until this never-ending backlog of ripley and ripmo orders drops off.

what ebry74 said, maybe a more hardcore enduro-focused 27.5+/29 bike with a headset adapter a la pivot. ripmo is probably outgunned by the firebird in enduro land if we're being honest. Ibis has to be smart with ROI, and the ripley/mo have delivered in spades.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Tell that to their EWS team. Only one rider is on 29", all the rest on 27.5".
I think this is more about the bike than the wheel size. The HD4 geo is better for going down and the suspension has more travel and is more progressive.

I've got a HD4 and a Ripmo which I fitted with a -1 angle set. The Ripmo is nicer for me because of the longer reach and steeper seat angle, and because I don't ride full gnar all the time. The HD4 is better in big hits and rough terrain, so I think it comes down to rider size/weight and riding style and preference.

My 2c is that the next enduro weapon will be 29 inch wheels, head angle <65deg and 170/155.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
27.5 is dead :/

they won't do a new 275 until this never-ending backlog of ripley and ripmo orders drops off.

what ebry74 said, maybe a more hardcore enduro-focused 27.5+/29 bike with a headset adapter a la pivot. ripmo is probably outgunned by the firebird in enduro land if we're being honest. Ibis has to be smart with ROI, and the ripley/mo have delivered in spades.
I believe the original brief for the Ripley was different wheel sizes for different bike sizes, e.g. 29er for L/XL and 26er for S/M (or just S?) Then 27.5 happened and that idea was shelved.

Perhaps that approach makes a comeback for an Enduro weapon, but 27.5 for S/M. Personally at 6'3" and very happy on my Ripmo, 27.5 is definitely dead TO ME! But I'd take a look at a RipmoHD 29er with 160mm out back and even more aggressive angles...

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
i don't disagree.

here's an anecdote, I started my GF on a small Trek 27.5, because they do that split wheel sizing (as does Orbea to an extent).

She did fine on it, but after demoing a bunch of 29ers, ended up on a Small Ripley with no ragrets. she likes the roll-over and momentum carry.

i totally get the super core gravity guys can be partial to 27.5, but from a core market perspective, i think most folks are moving away from 27.5 specific bikes (27.5+/29 may be a different story, idk)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Luv my HD4....it's alot of fun. 27.5 just snaps side to side. Yeah it won't straight line chunk like a RIPMO..but it will straight line chunk faster than most will be able to handle.

***Ride a Ripley so my veiws are not of a 29r hater. 29r all day on a shorter travel bike!

·
Registered
120 Posts
As a 6’3” rider I could use a bit more reach but my HD4 is super capable. After a weekend on a demo Ripmo I’m a huge fan of that bike as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
II miss the HD3(I know it already is, but the HD3 was better). One of the best all around trail bikes ever made in my opinion.
I just rebuilt my HD3 with a new shock, fork, XTR Drivetrain and brakes and Ibis wheels(with new shimano hubs that are great I should add). I dropped 2+ lbs and it slides like a brand new freaking bike. Maybe I am missing a steep SA, but not really.

Hard to see where the HD5 goes other than steeper longer. That has no appeal to my riding needs. I'd be forced to get a M3 if my HD3 every dies.

Also as a shorter rider, 29er never really worked for me. I have short inseam and I'm 5'7".....so 29er does feel like wagon wheels unless I'm straitening single track in a race. for fun...275 all the way for me, but I do miss the rollover.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.