Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm ready to pull the trigger on a SIR9, but am having second thoughts on size (yes this is another size consult post :) ).

I'm 5'7" with a 31" inseam and currently ride a Turner size medium which has a 23" ETT length plus a 100mm stem. This setup has been perfect for me. I know the small SIR has almost the same length tt (23.1"), but I'm a little concerned about the seat tube length. I measured from my bb to seat(the rails) and found this height to be 26.75" on my current setup. If I set my seat on the Niner at the same height I'll be running almost 12" of exposed seatpost. I know this isn't technically a problem, but I'm not too keen on tons of exposed seatpost.

Would going the route of a medium be going too big? I don't think standover will be a problem and I'd drop down in stem length - running a 50 or 60mm stem would gain me more than the .65 inches in difference in the reach length I'm accustomed too. Still a 23.75" tt sounds pretty lengthy to me.

Still I'm on the fence. Should a Niner bike have a longer top tube and shorter stem than the average 26" setup to be take advantage of the geometry? It sounds like there might be some shorter folks out their riding mediums, what's your experience been? Thanks!

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
I am his twin. Make sure you don't get a Kermit green one! ;)

A small is more than fine, and is what i run. With a 410 thomson, you'd have 140mm inside the seatube. Way more than enough. 68cm bb to top of seat is what i run on mine as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. It's good to hear from people of similar dimensions, ecspecially from you endo, coming from a medium turner too.

Rensho, I hate to continue the twin thing, but yes I've got my eye on the kermit green too :thumbsup:

I'm going to fire off the order this morning - one small kermit, please!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts