Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an all mountain bike. It will be used for mostly single track. I like to earn my way to the top and love do dive down the hill. I want it to handle 3-4 ft drops reguarly. My short list

05 Stumpjumper - Heard these are more durable this year
05 Enduro - Seems these are a little beefier than I need
Heckler - Seems like a great all around bike
Reign - Reviews are positive but I am still researching
Dawg - Afraid it's not beefy enough

I live in Roanoke, VA and these bikes (other than specialized) aren't available for demo. I'll have to travel to test them. I would love to hear all the wisdom from those of you with experience with these bikes. Is there anything major I need to know about the suspension differences? I would like to spend between 1500-2000 and am not opposed to buying used. If you know a deal let me know.

·
high school loser
1,313 Posts
i would say the heckler. sounds like a good match and they're sweet bikes. second choice would be the enduro. ive ridden one a couple times and its a great all around bike and can take a pretty good beating.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
specialized enduro or stumpjumper for 2005 is very good for trail bikes. Specialized has increased stiffness of its frame. It will meet your needs. Heckler is mostly for downhiller

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
maddhatter777 said:
I am looking for an all mountain bike. It will be used for mostly single track. I like to earn my way to the top and love do dive down the hill. I want it to handle 3-4 ft drops reguarly. My short list

05 Stumpjumper - Heard these are more durable this year
05 Enduro - Seems these are a little beefier than I need
Heckler - Seems like a great all around bike
Reign - Reviews are positive but I am still researching
Dawg - Afraid it's not beefy enough

I live in Roanoke, VA and these bikes (other than specialized) aren't available for demo. I'll have to travel to test them. I would love to hear all the wisdom from those of you with experience with these bikes. Is there anything major I need to know about the suspension differences? I would like to spend between 1500-2000 and am not opposed to buying used. If you know a deal let me know.
All of the bikes on this list will work just fine and are tough enough for the applications you describe. The Enduro and Heckler will hold up the best to repeated 4ft drops. The Heckler is a cheaper bike than the 6" 05 Enduro.

I dont know how much you weigh or how you ride so I cant really recommend a bike but if you want to push the envelope a bit, then the Heckler and Enduro are the best picks.

I have owned a Heckler and it is a super versatile bike. The frame is burly enough to handle some freeriding but not too heavy for epic riding. It is a single pivot design and the Stumpy and Enduro are a 4bar design. The Kona and Reign are linkage designs also.

The main difference is that on a sp design the suspension is less active under braking and stutter bumps and 4bar/linkage designs stay more active during these situations.

I would try to take the bikes on real world rides and let the "feel" of the bike be the reason you buy it and not the differences in suspension design.

I personally like all of the bikes you listed with the Enduro and Heckler being my favorites.

The Kona Dawg may be the best deal out of the bunch for bang for the buck ratio.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Not really.

Picard said:
specialized enduro or stumpjumper for 2005 is very good for trail bikes. Specialized has increased stiffness of its frame. It will meet your needs. Heckler is mostly for downhiller
The Heckler is a very capable epic trailbike and is not mostly for a "downhiller" imo. It can be used for everything. The Enduro for 05 is more of a dh capable bike than the Heckler. The Heckler can be built into a sub 30lb bike very easily.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have to say the Reigh suspension is set up like the DW link on my hollowpoint. This feature will help you with pedaling efficiency, and will not rely on the spv as much as the heckler or other single pivot bikes. All are nice bikes and you really need to spend some time on each.

·
Registered
168 Posts
ronny said:
The Heckler is a very capable epic trailbike and is not mostly for a "downhiller" imo. It can be used for everything. The Enduro for 05 is more of a dh capable bike than the Heckler. The Heckler can be built into a sub 30lb bike very easily.
I'd second this...I've ridden a Heckler quite a bit and own an '04 Enduro. Both fine bikes. I seen Hecklers from 35 pounds ( I put it on the scale!) to 26.5 pounds, depending on build.

IMHO - the '05 Enduro's (I've ridden one) are going to be a real chore to ride up hill. The Heckler is a better all mountain bike. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.