Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 427 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
400 miles on the Carbide now, slight creaking from the BB area. Cleaned and greased the main pivot bolt, problem solved. It's dead silent again. :thumbsup:

I've beat all my best times on the local loops this summer. Not sure if it's new bike syndrome or what, but I sure am fast on this thing :D

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
my Snyper

I sold my Tracer VP and built up a Snyper 140 a little while ago. I really like it. It's funny. The Tracer VP was uber sweet. Great bike, US production and pretty much a full XTR build was about all I could ask for. I built the Tomac up with X9 bits, inexpensive FSA crank, bar, and stem - generally a much, much cheaper bike than the Tracer. With the same fork, Gravity Dropper, and wheels that were on the Intense, this Snyper is within .1 lbs of the Intense. And it would retail for $1500-$2000 less, too. Nice!

Performance of the Snyper has been top notch. It's super stable, predictable, and really seems to reward a rider with an aggressive riding position and riding style. I put a review up in the reviews section on mtbr here, but I will post a thouroughly detailed review on this thread after a few more 9 hour thrash sessions.

This bike is available for demo and I've got a medium built up, too. And Joel Smith and co have been a pleasure to deal with:thumbsup:

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Tomac 2010

The new 2010 Tomacs look great. Here's some photos Joel Smith took of the new line in Colorado...

the 2010 Tomac Snyper 140, $1400msrp frame

A new bike for Tomac, the 2010 Tomac Vanish, 160mm travel, $1600msrp frame

Another new one, the 2010 Flint 29er. $500msrp frame - der hanger, full cable routing, and eccentric bb for running SS or gears

The Automatic gets bumped up to 120mm of travel, $1200msrp

Clark from Tomac stopped in here at Redstone other day to show off some 2010 Tomac Bikes goodies.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FM-WAD5nG0c/SsZbRbAAGpI/AAAAAAAADtY/X9LYeeQTU4o/s1600-h/P1010255.JPGSo far, I'm pretty impressed with the 2010 lineup. All they have right now is some pre production prototypes so I didn't take super detailed shots of everything as a few things are changing. I did snap a photo of the new Snyper and of the new Instant Active Suspension (IAS) link, though.

Here's the new Snyper. It's got the same geometry and angles of the current Snyper (yay) but some small tweaks have been made to the front and rear triangle. The front triangle changes to a traditional diamond frame for more water bottle room and a traditional front der mount. The rear triangle loses the carbon flex stay and adds a verticle brace on either side.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FM-WAD5nG0c/SsZbJRLrB3I/AAAAAAAADtQ/DgZVg6rx00w/s1600-h/P1010254.JPG

Also added is the new IAS link between the rear triangle and the swing link.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FM-WAD5nG0c/SsZbJAtmAoI/AAAAAAAADtI/ct0xAvHVG2Q/s1600-h/P1010251.JPG
The IAS link yields better small bump absorption than the previous carbon flexstay. A quickie ride on the new Snyper felt like the old Snyper, but a bit more buttery. Good call on the IAS guys. Can't wait to see the production models! If you look closely in this last photo, you can see a seatstay bridge has been cut out. Original designs had the bridge but no vertical braces. The addition of the verticle braces yeilded way more stiffness which allowed Tomac to remove the bridge for added tire clearance.

·
Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
771 Posts
Not available til Jan 1st. Ugh I can't take it

·
Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
771 Posts
Snyper. It's 79 degrees outside! Killin me.

Here's a question - does avail Jan really mean it doesn't show up til late Feb?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Getting my first Carbide in tomorrow. Can't wait to build it up. Anyone seen the January 2010 Mountain Bike Action Mag.? They reviewed the Carbide SL and seemed to love it.

·
Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
771 Posts
Sweet! Grats man. I didn't see that review but I did see the Snyper one they just did, two months before the new IAS models come out. Now they won't look at it again for God knows how long. D'oh. :madman:

I just got my demo today, shipped to my house from Tomac HQ. Yay! I'll have to get pedals & a torque wrench. Boo! But I'm stoked, its an awesome bike, you can tell its quality. :D

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That's awesome, Grease. Did you get the AIS demo or the original style? The more time I spend on my Snyper, the more I'm loving it. Drop the saddle on descents and it feels like a mini downhill bike.

·
Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
771 Posts
It's an '09 still. Brand new frame though, still has the protective film on the headtube logo. Very nice... then there's like 10yr old shifters on it.. hehe. Whatever, they work. Put some new Cbros Candy SLs on it.. great bike... still just fiddling with all the suspension settings. And not a fan of the little racerboy saddle but that's just me.

Should be a fun week! Tho there was rumors at the shop that it's gonna rain tomorrow :(

·
Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
771 Posts
come pry it from my cold dead hands

Well, I liked the Snyper so much I bought the demo. What can I say, it's the best bike I've ever ridden. /shrug

One question, how can you tell if you have a 140 or 150mm fork?? I measured the stanchions, and there's 160mm showing? That can't be right...

It's a 32 Float FiT RLC; does the FiT mean it's a 2010? Uhhh

·
Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
771 Posts
yo Tomacites

Got sick of the rain here so went to Tucson for the weekend - she rides beautifully! Mid-60s & dry on the day after X-mas; they have it good down there in winter. Was bummed to have to head home so soon, had a blast & ran into some nice folks :)

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
hahaha I made virtually the same trek and found the same things as you greasemeat only we went to Phoenix. Great winter riding down there. I put a post up in Passion about the trip. I even threw in a little Tomac love.

oh - FIT does = 2010

·
Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
771 Posts
Oh man what are the odds, the same weekend? Too weird - ok I'll check it out thanks bud.

& thanks on the fork, asked Fox, its 150mm too, schweet.

21 - 40 of 427 Posts