Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10 years ago when I last rode, it seemed like 50% of the people on the trails used toe clips, about 40% used clipless, and the rest used regular pedals. I just got a new ride, but haven't taken it to the trail yet. My question is, do people still use toe clips? I never tightened the straps, just had them loose to help keep my foot on the pedal and they were easy to get out of. Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
no....toe clips are out.....they are not durable (straps always frayed), you always had to re-tightened them during rides, etc. Now its either clipless or platform pedals.

For riding platforms, people use shoes with a sticky bottom like 5.10's and magnesium or light-weight metallic pedals that have these little pins sticking out of them........

Footwear Product Shoe Orange White

Product Technology Line Black Machine

·
Trying not to kill myself
391 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
If you don't want clipless, but want something more than platforms...check out Power Grips
I tried those once on a demo ride at a bike shop, and that was a terrible experience. Getting my foot into them required lots of messing around, and I never could release in a timely manner. Much more difficult than SPD shoes and pedals IMO, and I can't imagine riding a technical trail with them. But some people swear by them, so who knows. I guess they're not a big $ commitment to try out.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Toe clips are a thing of the past.

Clipless systems work so much better. Try Shimano SPDs. You can adjust the the tension of the release mechanism and easily get off the pedal while still being able to pedal round (e.g. pull up as well as push down on the pedal).

Platform pedals got better, too. Today's DF/FR platform pedals have aggressive pins. They hold your foot very well. You can almost pedal round with them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I still use toe clips sometimes, but I mostly just use platforms now. Both allow me to wear whatever shoes I happen to be wearing at the moment, usually my hiking/work boots. I have tried clipless a couple of times over the years, I just never really warmed up to them.

·
Registered
914 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
If you don't want clipless, but want something more than platforms...check out Power Grips
+1 for power grips. I can't ride with out them. Never had any problems getting out of them, and once you get used to it getting in isn't hard either.

·
Registered
Top Fuel
1,638 Posts
+2 for Power Grips. A good compromise between clipless and flats. You actually have to "break in" the strap to get it to fit your shoe...so the first few times you use it, it'll seem hard to get into.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm all for platforms for mtb. I ride clipless on my road bike, but my last attempt with clipless ended up with a bent seatstay.

If the trails you ride at are not very technical, then clipless would be great. I find myself hesitating more often on technical tracks while clipped in and would not attempt stuff out of my comfort zone.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
If the trails you ride at are not very technical, then clipless would be great. I find myself hesitating more often on technical tracks while clipped in and would not attempt stuff out of my comfort zone.
I have to respectfully disagree. Unclipping from clipless becomes second nature and is no more dangerous that any other type of pedal. I would say they are safer because your feet will never slide off the pedals. With clipless bashed shins are a thing of the past.

I would say that at least 75% of people on these forums ride clipless and they do so for a very good reason.

If you do go to clipless, which i highly recommended, practice unclipping in grass before your first ride. I never practiced and fell over 6 times in one ride until i got it down. But even so its not dangerous. Its always low speed tipping over. It only hurts pride.

Sheepo

·
Registered
932 Posts
Sheepo5669 said:
I have to respectfully disagree. Unclipping from clipless becomes second nature and is no more dangerous that any other type of pedal. I would say they are safer because your feet will never slide off the pedals. With clipless bashed shins are a thing of the past.

I would say that at least 75% of people on these forums ride clipless and they do so for a very good reason.

If you do go to clipless, which i highly recommended, practice unclipping in grass before your first ride. I never practiced and fell over 6 times in one ride until i got it down. But even so its not dangerous. Its always low speed tipping over. It only hurts pride.

Sheepo
Even at slow speeds, the trails that I ride at will hurt since you will be rolling down a 6-8 ft ditch if you fall to the wrong side. Some other trails near me have "technical" ramps that are roughly 3 ft. wide and 6 ft. tall, if you tip over at the top for some reason, most likely the bike will be on top of you.

If I'm riding a XC trail, then yeah, clipless would be great.

Like I said, IMHO, it's based on the terrain and yourself. IMO it's not worth the risk for a more serious injury. The time's I tried clipless on my mtb, I was able to clip out in time mostly (but could easily sprain your ankle if you plant your foot down incorrectly). The second time I fell was on a incline right on top of a huge root, there goes my bent seatstay.

I used Time ATAC clipless pedals, they were great clipless pedals, but it wasn't for me. Now I enjoy my Straitline platforms paired with Fivetens.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
Even at slow speeds, the trails that I ride at will hurt since you will be rolling down a 6-8 ft ditch if you fall to the wrong side. Some other trails near me have "technical" ramps that are roughly 3 ft. wide and 6 ft. tall, if you tip over at the top for some reason, most likely the bike will be on top of you.
That is very true. I almost forgot about bridges and stuff for a learner on clipless. It seems pretty dangerous.

One of my fears is falling off of the narrow bridges onto my shoulders or head.

·
Registered
914 Posts
one main reason I go with powergrips over clipless is because if I dab on a technical downhill I can just put my feet back on the pedals and continue even though my foot isn't in the powergrips. When on clipless I don't feel stable at all unless I am fully clipped in. There is no lets ride it out until I get a chance to get clipped in for me. Feels like I am standing on a tooth pic when its not clipped in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts