Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for a couple of hours today by myself for that XC ride I've been promising myself.
You have to read that line like in Austin Powers:
"Allow myself to introduce.....myself." :D

Attachments

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
What the heck is it with deer ears- I swear they always look like they'd flap away, lol.... :D :cool:

eta: last good wildlife sighting I had on a ride was a handsome coyote.

·
Dirt Diva Little h
540 Posts
Nomad!

Nice shot Superkat, how you liking your nomad? I let downhill Donna ride mine this week and I think I created a monster! LOL! Have you ridden yours at Diablo yet? with the Float? Sorry for all the questions!

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know...I have to say, it's been a year w/ clipless pedals and I'm still not diggin' them completely. They may be on their way out.
I haven't taken the Nomad to Diablo. It's kind of not built for that abuse, but I love it as an XC/AM ride. Can't beat it.

·
Go Lakers!
233 Posts
stripes said:
One of the best things I did for my riding is getting rid of my clipless pedals. You can't cheat with them. I realized that switchbacks don't scare me anymore since I ditched 'em.
Ok now I am really confused. I am just about to make the switch to clipless as all my XC friends say I will be much better off. Since I rarely ride DH, I guess I will proceed to switch. If I do ride DH as I get better, I might not ride clipless, at least on the DH bike. I have been riding now for a little over a year and I am still not clipless. So many different schools of thought.:madman:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sambolina said:
Ok now I am really confused. I am just about to make the switch to clipless as all my XC friends say I will be much better off. Since I rarely ride DH, I guess I will proceed to switch. If I do ride DH as I get better, I might not ride clipless, at least on the DH bike. I have been riding now for a little over a year and I am still not clipless. So many different schools of thought.:madman:
Go with what makes you feel best.

The first couple of years I didn't ride clipless either. When I did switch, I started out with a pair of Time ATAC. Which I had constant problems getting in and out of them, I figured it was just me and learning how to use them. In the end I ditched them and started trying all different kinds. I've gone through a few different types, styles and brands. About a month ago I switched over to Shimano M545 MTB SPD Pedals (which happened to be a birthday present :D :thumbsup:) and I love them.

I like the "cage" around them, if I choose to clip out for any reason I still have a little bit more leverage when pedaling than a "typical" clipless petal.

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
It's OK. I've been riding since '92 and only converted to clipless in about '99 or so (I was adventurous that year, finally got front shocks, lol....). It took some getting used to but I'm certainly riding better technical stuff than I did back then.

I use some old Time Atac pedals and Cannondale Arago shoes that have a fairly soft sole suitable for walking, and just unclip and stand on/mash the darn things when I need to. There's actually a thread around here in the WL about this sort of combination- turns out it's more common than I had thought. It may not be a very sexy approach but it's certainly utilitarian. Given the hills in my area I'm very much interested in keeping that 20% +/- advantage clipless gives when climbing.

·
Registered
205 Posts
stripes said:
Oh, we're going to have a fun discussion when you get into town Thursday :) I got tired of feeling like my bike was a trap.

It doesn't matter what you ride pedal-wise, as long as you're comfortable with it. I rode clipless for 15 years before switching to flats. My comfort level changed. Also, you can't cheat on flat pedals. Too easy to cheat on clipless.
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I don't understand what you are saying. "Cheat"...what do you mean by that? Unclip when it gets scarey? The only reason clipless are not better...is if your thinking too much. I road flats for a long time, then switched to clips...crashed my ass off, switched back to flats...then back to clips again...and stayed with them forever. The only reason I crashed with clips on was I was making myself feel "trapped"...if you just ride like you know how and don't think about your feet you will ride better than ever.
Now on my DH-9 I still use flats because I like to pivot on the balls of my feet and I kept coming unclipped at high speeds, which was kind of scarey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.