1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
lidarman said:
...toasted rim and spokes....

Time for new.

Slideshow
Very nice. The beer is important. That hub looks like it's going to last you a good while.

Never bothered to pick up anything other than basic wheel truing stuff - haven't blown enough wheels over the years to have the inclination to roll my own yet.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have actually built a lot of wheels over the years but even so, having a truing stand really speeds up even truing a wheel every now and then.

Another tool I use way more than I expected is a derailleur hanger alignment tool. 90% of the time when shifting goes bad, it's do to a bent hanger.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Your slide show makes it look easy, however I know it's not as much science as it is art, and not even close to being easy (unless you've been doing it for a while).

Do you use a spoke tension measuring thingie?

·
beer thief
4,925 Posts
General Havoc said:
Your slide show makes it look easy, however I know it's not as much science as it is art, and not even close to being easy (unless you've been doing it for a while)...
No General, it really is easy. With some basic instructions (available online), you can easily build your first wheel in a few hours and have it come out really well. The beer is pretty important, though.

lidarman said:
I have actually built a lot of wheels over the years but even so, having a truing stand really speeds up even truing a wheel every now and then.

Another tool I use way more than I expected is a derailleur hanger alignment tool. 90% of the time when shifting goes bad, it's do to a bent hanger.
I agree on both points, Rich. The Park derailleur alignment gage is definitely one of my secret weapons. Thank you for the inspiration, I've had a wheel sitting around needing to be relaced for a while. One tool you didn't mention is the cordless screw gun to wind the nipples on after you have it laced. It saves a ton of time compared to doing it all manually.

Attachments

·
Dented n' Spent
185 Posts
lidarman said:
...toasted rim and spokes....

Time for new.

Slideshow
Nice! Roughly how long did that take you from the point the hub was cleaned up and really to go?

Been doing a "quick true" since I was a kid but never built a wheel yet. At the rate I'm progressing, it may never happen...

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Addressing some comments.

Truing is kinda easy. It's just thing you have to do slowly and carefully. I don't use a tensioner. I do two things to avoid it. Go slow and evenly and check my true constantly. If you do this, you will wind up with a nice wheel. Sure the tensioner is nice but not necessary. The hard part actually is getting the optimal length spokes. You have to use old spokes or carefully calculate them. The wheel I demolished had siezed allow nipples so I had to chop them out anyway. I will never use allow nipples again.

Cutting the spokes off the hub took 3 minutes and cleaning the hub took 5 minutes. I could have and maybe should have rebuilt the hub, cleaning out the grease and repacking but since it's my commuter bike that I need tomorrow, I chose not to do it. It sounds smooth so I went with it.

The lace took me two hours because I am out of practice (had to dig the procedure out of my minds closet), got distracted and took photos. If I did one tonight, I bet I could do it in 45 minutes.

Rob, do you build wheels during injury recovery time?

·
beer thief
4,925 Posts
daveM said:
That's just armor for 'extreme' wheelbuilding...:D
Hehehe, I knew that was coming (although I really expected a serious question about it). Look close and you can see the incision. 5 more weeks until road biking is allowed. Time flies when you're having fun...

·
Fat guy on a bike
703 Posts
I have a brand new wheel set to build this weekend, assuming everything arrives on time from QBP to my LBS.

I just sit on the floor begin lacing and screwing until its all together, then move it to the stand to tighten and true. My cats like to interfere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts