Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Measured 13" of snow on the front lawn this morning. Sorry, didn't bike today. With low psi in the 29" meats I suppose could have, but I couldn't resist something I've always wanted to do and never have before: ski to work.

Clamped on the 15 year old touring skis and headed downtown over the Hawthorne Bridge.
MAX to Beaverton.
Short ski from MAX to my office.
Forgot to bring lunch, cafeteria closed due to weather ... ski another mile or so going to the store and back.
Short ski back to MAX.
MAX to Zoo.
Elevator up 250'.
Zoobomb back into downtown, on two boards instead of the usual two wheels.
Ski across the bridge and back home

10-11 miles of skiing in all. At least 800 feet of descending. At least 15 thumbs-up comments from bystanders. Glimpses through the trees of Zoolights nearby and the city far below me. Except for the orange glow of city lights and the faint hum of the Sunset highway in the distance, feeling like I'm skiing in the mountains. But this time, the mountains are my backyard.

Life is pretty good today.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Skies the better option

Skies were definitely the better option in the Portland area yesterday.

I took my bike downtown on MAX, but found the streets full of broken, rutted and greasy snow. Riding them wasn't much fun at all, and the crust in Waterfront Park was worse. I did see one messenger wearing goggles riding a fixed gear up Morrison Street.

The trains headed back to the Westside were packed; I had to let five go by before finding one with room for my bike. Got off the train at Millikan and rode the rest of the way back to Hillsboro on Jenkins/Baseline. Streets were snow packed and icy, but I was able to travel at the same speed as, or in some cases faster then, other vehicles (10-15 MPH).

Probably not the smartest thing I've done this year, but it got me out of the house for a few hours.

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
I rode from NE to SE yesterday....

on my 29er SS, and it was rough. The side streets were impossible, but the main streets were pretty fun. I could have used some studded tires!

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
I need a jet-pack on my skibike so I can ride it up the hill to the mountain!

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No work today, but I did jump back on the bike after I got my son to bed. Rode Springwater Trail south from OMSI, then across the Sellwood bridge, back up along the west side of the river and back home over the Hawthorne.

Snow's pretty rutty and bumpy, but very rideable and fun. Someone (either the city Parks Bureau, the railroad or a civilian poacher) drove a truck down the Springwater, creating two parallel ruts of the perfect width for skiing or biking. They're deep enough that my boots scraped the snowpack along the sides with every pedal stroke, but the surface inside was fairly smooth and fast. Tonight, that is: tomorrow they'll probably be chewed up and icy as hell. Get out and ride it in the morning before things thaw if you can.

Fat 2.35 tires at 15-20psi are prefect for the packed snow right now. On the trail tonight I ran into a guy on a Surly Cross-Check with 700x45 Fire Cross and Mutanoraptor tires and he said he was struggling a bit. I was running skinny studs in the ice last week, which have been useless for the last few days but on well traveled streets they'll probably be the better choice again by tomorrow night.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.