Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got my office work done and had about an hour to answer emails and do some updates. Unfortunately the ISP is down, something that has been far too prevalent in recent days. So I have about an hour to play. Not enough time to ride the mountainbike, besides the thaw has made everything a mess. I opt for my skinny tubed, skinny tired friend. Not the soul sister that Glitter is, but a darn good friend. <O:p

Anyway, I made a quick stop on the way to the Monument to check in on a client and then head out of town in spin mode. The Monument isn't a monumental climb, but a trek up to the visitors’ center is a great out and back if you're short on time, like I was. I pass the entrance and no one is manning the booth, I expected this at the slow time of the year. I started the ascent and dropped the chain into the small chainring. The blues skies were welcome and the temperature was perfect for climbing. As I was nearing the first turn I heard a loud crashing sound, but I couldn’t discern from where it came. It wasn’t metal on metal; it was more like the sound of rock, not uncommon to the area during a thaw. About a mile later I found the cause of the noise, two boulders had fallen into the other lane. Both were probably about 700 cm around but rather flat. I kept ascending, thinking I would alert someone once I reached the visitors’ center. Only one car passed me as I climbed, and I wasn’t sure if they told anybody about the rock fall, but I headed into the center anyway.
<O:p
On the way down I looked across the valley and noticed some dark looming, clouds to the Northwest. The temperature dropped and I was in for a rather cold descent. Somebody had moved the boulders by the time I reached the place in the road where they had fallen so I had clear sailing all the way down the hill. I hurried back to the house and was happy to get out of the sweaty cycling gear and into the warmth of dry clothes. About 20 minutes later rain started to fall.<O:p

·
Registered
277 Posts
nice report

Especially after knowing that climb (in a car) very well, I have always thought that would be a nice road ride, but it's always so hard to justify bringing the road bike on a Fruita trip :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts