Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I finally put together a really good order (in my opinion) on Jenson USA. Ive used them twice before and I couldnt be happier with their service and unbeatable prices. Heres the order, and tell me what you think (quality of components, prices paid, etc...).

Item: Original Price: Price I Paid:
2008 Avid SD 7 Levers $18.95 $18.95
Shimano Alivio SL-M410 3 speed $20.39 $20.39
Shimano Alivio SL-M410 8 Speed $20.39 $20.39
(2) Vredestein Tiger Claw Tires Folding 26x1.9 $111.98 $36.00
Shimano Derailleur Cable 1.2x2100mm $1.95 $1.95
2009 Answer Alumilite 25.4mm Handlebar $32.00 $10.99
'05-'08 Race Face Deus XC Stem 25.4x120mm $65.00 $17.49
Race Face Diabolus Lock On Grips/Clamps $24.99 $11.99

Total cost if paid full price for all items: $195.65 Total price I paid: $138.15
I saved $157.50

·
Rider, Builder, Dreamer
1,366 Posts
not bad for some entry-level stuff. Personally, I'm a Pricepoint shopper; I've gotten some sweet deals off there. you can get some sweet deals on just about everything you ordered, some of it certainly cheaper. I paid $17 and change for my SD 7 levers as opposed to just under $19 on Jenson. Pricepoint also has some solid Sette Lock-on grips for under $10.

Then you can get one of their drivetrain build kits for a great deal. They have a full SRAM X-7 drivetrain (both derailleurs, both shifters, 9-speed cassette, chain, cranks/BB/chainrings) all for $230. I'm not bashing what you bought, just giving a pointer for the future. Post photos when you get everything on there.

Cheers!

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill be sure to! I also have a Rockshox Recon 351 U-Turn 85-130 thats currently being rebuilt by SRAM. I bought that stuff now in hopes that I would get both back in close proximity. I'm 15 so I am still learning, but I know a ton of stuff about bikes. It's my first "real" mountain bike; an Iron Horse Quantum II (Sports Authority equivalent to 2007 Iron Horse hardtails). Ive already had the fork on it, but the seal let loose and I did a jump only to find the seal about an inch and a half up the stanchion. I'll just go take some before pictures now. LOL.

Thanks.

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hardtailkid said:
Ill be sure to! I also have a Rockshox Recon 351 U-Turn 85-130 thats currently being rebuilt by SRAM. I bought that stuff now in hopes that I would get both back in close proximity. I'm 15 so I am still learning, but I know a ton of stuff about bikes. It's my first "real" mountain bike; an Iron Horse Quantum II (Sports Authority equivalent to 2007 Iron Horse hardtails). Ive already had the fork on it, but the seal let loose and I did a jump only to find the seal about an inch and a half up the stanchion. I'll just go take some before pictures now. LOL.

Thanks.

Heres some pictures I just took. Yes, I made that stand by myself and it works GREAT!

Attachments

·
since 4/10/2009
31,719 Posts
If you were buying alivio shifter pods, what were you upgrading from? The reason I ask is because I upgraded my wife's shifters from the alivio integrated brake/shift levers to LX (I bought the LX shifters used). I also got her SD7 brake levers to use with the Avid BB7 calipers I put on her bike a couple years ago. The 9spd cassette cost more ($60), but I got a pretty good deal on the entire upgrade package by shopping a combination of classified ads and Pricepoint (I'd rather buy from one place than from multiple ones...so I search for the best savings on at least one item, then get everything else I need from the same place).

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am eventually going to buy a new wheelset, and at that point I will buy a 9 speed cassette, new shifters, and a new derailleur. But until then, I just want seperate shifter/brake levers. I am going to upgrade from the front of the bike towards the back of the bike, basically. Once I get some more money, I plan on doing the 9 speed upgrade. I agree with the way you shop, finding one place to get all things at. I will avoid buying from multiple places, simply because shipping costs can be a hassle.

And while I am here, can I ask your advice on a wheelset? I want WTB rims and Shimano centerlock hubs. My budget for the wheelset is about $150. Or if there is a good wheelset with Shimano centerlock hubs that you know of, feel free to post on here or PM me.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,719 Posts
hardtailkid said:
I am eventually going to buy a new wheelset, and at that point I will buy a 9 speed cassette, new shifters, and a new derailleur. But until then, I just want seperate shifter/brake levers. I am going to upgrade from the front of the bike towards the back of the bike, basically. Once I get some more money, I plan on doing the 9 speed upgrade. I agree with the way you shop, finding one place to get all things at. I will avoid buying from multiple places, simply because shipping costs can be a hassle.

And while I am here, can I ask your advice on a wheelset? I want WTB rims and Shimano centerlock hubs. My budget for the wheelset is about $150. Or if there is a good wheelset with Shimano centerlock hubs that you know of, feel free to post on here or PM me.
Don't be too picky about a wheelset at a budget price. Long before discs, I went and bought a light wheelset at a budget price. The rims were awful. So soft that they got dinged on the smallest crap. The braking suraface eventually split due to a combination of getting dinged and the wear of my brake pads on the really soft metal.

Why on earth do you WANT centerlock? I will only buy 6bolt hubs if given the choice. I absolutely love my Magura discs...and last I checked Magura doesn't offer centerlock, nor do a number of companies. Also, what was your original drivetrain? Are your existing wheels disc-compatible? 8spd and 9spd spacing is the same.

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NateHawk said:
Don't be too picky about a wheelset at a budget price. Long before discs, I went and bought a light wheelset at a budget price. The rims were awful. So soft that they got dinged on the smallest crap. The braking suraface eventually split due to a combination of getting dinged and the wear of my brake pads on the really soft metal.

Why on earth do you WANT centerlock? I will only buy 6bolt hubs if given the choice. I absolutely love my Magura discs...and last I checked Magura doesn't offer centerlock, nor do a number of companies. Also, what was your original drivetrain? Are your existing wheels disc-compatible? 8spd and 9spd spacing is the same.
My wheelset is really bad, IMHO. The hubs have no markings on it, so the manufacturer is unknown. Same with the rims. They are the wheels that came on the bike when I got it at Sports Authority. I guess they can use a 9 speed cassette, but I honestly dont want to put a 9 speed on it...yet. I will need a new rear derailleur as well.

My friend (with his $2000 bike) has centerlock. He said he wouldnt buy anything else, because he loves the Shimano and Avid rotors. I understand that the centerlock system is still emerging, so rotors and wheelsets are hard to come by. I may just go the 6 bolt way though; the wheelsets are way more common and 6 bolt rotors are the norm. I want to eventually get Shimano SLX brakes, and I dont exactly have the money for Maguras.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,719 Posts
hardtailkid said:
My wheelset is really bad, IMHO. The hubs have no markings on it, so the manufacturer is unknown. Same with the rims. They are the wheels that came on the bike when I got it at Sports Authority. I guess they can use a 9 speed cassette, but I honestly dont want to put a 9 speed on it...yet. I will need a new rear derailleur as well.

My friend (with his $2000 bike) has centerlock. He said he wouldnt buy anything else, because he loves the Shimano and Avid rotors. I understand that the centerlock system is still emerging, so rotors and wheelsets are hard to come by. I may just go the 6 bolt way though; the wheelsets are way more common and 6 bolt rotors are the norm. I want to eventually get Shimano SLX brakes, and I dont exactly have the money for Maguras.
Ah, I can understand wanting new wheels in that case. IMO, centerlocks aren't "all that". Maybe you cut a couple oz over 6bolt, but that's all I see aside from eliminating torx screws and now needing a lockring tool (that's a wash).

Centerlock has been out long enough that if it was that good, it would have taken hold MUCH quicker (like external bearing BB's). IMO, centerlock was a solution to a problem that never existed. I use Magura Julies that I bought slightly used in 2003. Cost me $125 for the whole set pre-bled and everything. All I had to do was bolt them on. Best purchase I've ever made for my bike. But they're hardly high end ones.

For the average bike, 6 bolt is the best since even the companies who do centerlock also offer 6bolt options. I could see centerlock if you were on an uber-light race bike where grams count. But for the rest of us...what's the big deal?

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
NateHawk said:
... But for the rest of us...what's the big deal?
Convinence and a cleaner hub. When I get to Jamaica and re-assemble my bike, I hate the freaking rube-goldberg 6 bolt, adds an extra 3 minutes to the job when I could be drinking beer! I didn't really care until I had to use center-lock on my Alfine, now I appreciate the simple single nut.

·
No longer a hardtailkid.
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh. You are correct. I forgot to type in "$157.50". Thanks for pointing that out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts