Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so, today was the first day of my Cannondale F7.

I bought the F7 to have as my urban runs and XC bike, and I wanted something cheap but good. I didn't (and don't) plan on upgrading the bike anytime soon.

But, since I had some spare stuff and things waiting for the Endo, right now I changed the stem and bars from the stock ones to a Thomson X4 and Easton EA50 risers, the seat to a WTB Pure V. And I also got hold of some XT hubs.... so, it's not stock right now.

I started at around 9:20 or so, and didn't really do a large or medium loop. Sort of did two runs on my short loop, which is basically the lower part of the 3 caidas trail. The day was awesome! No rain, some sun, but not too hot. Traction was pretty cool!

I met RitoPC and Tacubaya on the way down from my second loop. They were, I guess, starting their run. We stopped a bit to chat and continued.

My impresions on the bike are as follows:

1. The bike felt a little smaller than the ML, but no big deal, I think it will work fine, and didn't really had any problems where I felt unconfortable with size.

2. I missed being clipped! It really was anoying sometimes thinking I could do something and the bike would follow, only to have some skips on the grip. Sometimes just peddaling uphill I had this issues. Well, I wanted to try the bike as it was, so it wasn't unexpected. I'm going to put the Candies on this one, and I think I'll do better.

3. It has a pretty low BB! At least, lower than the Viento or the Moto Lite. Some parts, which I thought I would pass, splat! nope, didn't pass. Just have to get used to that.

4. Handling. Pretty good actually. It was nimble, went where I wanted, I think it has a good geometry for what they built it for. No qualms here.

5. Drivetrain... well, I don't mind it being 8 spd, but I would have liked to have a 34T, but it has a 32T. I didn't had any ghost shifting, and I liked the rear shifting. The front wasn't as smooth, but worked ok.

6. Tires. My bike came with 2.0 CST Caballero tires. I actually really like them. They're on the skinny side (2.0) but provided a lot of traction and performed very well overall, it would be great to test them 2.3 front 2.1 rear for trailriding, but I'm keeping them for a while. Maybe for a long while, I don't know yet.

7. Brakes. Well, nothing much to say here. Tectro V-Brakes, performed well, not as good modulation as my previous, but that's why hydros discs are more expensive than V-Brakes. But they performed well. Maybe they locked the rear tire too easily, and they're not as confortable as my previous ones, where I require two fingers rather than one, or one when I want to do better modulation.

8. Fork. Actually, another surprise for me here. The Gila fork is 100mm travel, and actually performed better than I thought it would. Okay, the Revelation is better, but the Gila isn't bad at all as a XC fork.

here is a pic when I was preparing it to ride.

here is a pic of the trails, traction was awesome!

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Ritopc and I went to the downhill because they built more Northshore stuff. We saw two big ladder drops, one 1.6 meters tall and the other around 2.2 meters tall with a nice natural transition (which still requires a bit of work). The 1.6 one is doable with a beer in the system and the 2.2... NO WAY! Scary, maybe with a red bull and more beers..

There is also a drop to a very very steep tobogan which I nailed, VERY fun drop.. I don't know how much you fly but it sure felt a bit!!

Then in the downhill my rear wheel began doing some weird noises and I found I broke a couple of spokes.. I need to true the wheel and install some new spokes :D

Fun day..

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
crisillo said:
maybe make it singlespeed too :ihih:
uh??? :nono: :nono:

Put the Revelation and a mechanical front disc on that sick ride. That will make it even better.

I wanted badly to ride this weekend but it wasn't to be. The father of one of our ride buddies died and I went to the Service.

Bummer... Looks like I will spend a long time without riding.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Warp said:
uh??? :nono: :nono:

Put the Revelation and a mechanical front disc on that sick ride. That will make it even better.

I wanted badly to ride this weekend but it wasn't to be. The father of one of our ride buddies died and I went to the Service.

Bummer... Looks like I will spend a long time without riding.
Sorry about that, Warp.

What Revelation? Don't have any.... already sold it. I only have a camera to sell (that I have a buyer, just wait for him to get the money) and my salesman days are over, at least for now)....

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
rzozaya1969 said:
Sorry about that, Warp.

What Revelation? Don't have any.... already sold it. I only have a camera to sell (that I have a buyer, just wait for him to get the money) and my salesman days are over, at least for now)....
Ah, good to hear!

Well, we gotta hook up SOON to give you back the remains of the AM1...

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
tacubaya said:
Why aren't you riding anymore Warp?
I'm moving out of the city... I'll spend at least a month out of it and form there, maybe I'll have to wait some more to get some riding.

New job on the door. Just a couple details to iron.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Warp said:
I'm moving out of the city... I'll spend at least a month out of it and form there, maybe I'll have to wait some more to get some riding.

That's great, Warp!

I hope the final work details work out :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Warp said:

Where are you moving to? and when ? I still have your DUs (bushings) at home. Are you still coming to Sta Fe? i could give them to you tomorrow.

Bests of lucks!!

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
ritopc said:
Where are you moving to? and when ? I still have your DUs (bushings) at home. Are you still coming to Sta Fe? i could give them to you tomorrow.

Bests of lucks!!
Yeah, I'll be still around this week, but so far, departure date for me is this next monday.

If you can help me out with the DU's tomorrow, that'd be cool. Can I use your tool?? I promise to give it back the next day.

I need only two... so the remaining one could go to Tacu.

I'm going to work at Chihuahua... earthworks preparation for an open pit mine, but I'll be doing some administrative role, not fully on operations. However, I'll be on some site lost in the Chihuahua Sierra where you can access only by dirt roads and train.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Consider it done! please gimme a call tomorrow before lunch just to remind me; I have a really busy day and might end up forgetting droping by at your office.

Bests of lucks!

Warp said:
Yeah, I'll be still around this week, but so far, departure date for me is this next monday.

If you can help me out with the DU's tomorrow, that'd be cool. Can I use your tool?? I promise to give it back the next day.

I need only two... so the remaining one could go to Tacu.

I'm going to work at Chihuahua... earthworks preparation for an open pit mine, but I'll be doing some administrative role, not fully on operations. However, I'll be on some site lost in the Chihuahua Sierra where you can access only by dirt roads and train.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.