Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volunteers with TAMBA will be out on Mr. Toads this Saturday the 24th (National Public Lands Day) putting in some time for much needed trail work. We'll be focusing on the main rock area making it a true waterfall section, not some ambiguous section of trail that most people tripod and cyclocross style down. We're going to keep it fast and rocky.

Show up and give a hand and voice your opinion on what maintenance needs to happen for this day and in the future. Plan to ride Toads and stop for whatever time you can to help out. We'll be there from 930 to 330 working, then at the bottom for a bbq and beers (free to volunteers) at 4pm.

Toads / Saxon Creek Details:
We will be working primarily on the main rock sections of upper Toads. The existing technical alignments will be kept intact, the main goals are to stabilize these lines and more clearly define them by removing some alternate lines and side trails that have appeared. Everyone should ride their bikes out to the work area and then ride down afterwards. All tools will be dropped off beforehand by the Forest Service, this is a huge help so that we all can ride and not haul up heavy tools.
Bring: Water, long sleeves, sunglasses, gloves, your bike. We will provide free sandwiches for lunch and some snacks.
Time: Meet at the rock sections @ 930 am - this is about 1/2 mile down from the intersection of Saxon Creek and the Rim Trail. Allow enough time in the morning to ride up from Luther or Big Meadow or Armstrong. Luther Pass trail head by Grass Lake on Highway 89 is the closest access point, 3 miles from the work area. We will work until about 330pm, then ride down to the bottom parking lot for a free BBQ and beers. As always any time you can contribute during the day is helpful, if you are planning to ride Toads anyway this Saturday, stop at least for an hour or so and help out.

Marlette-Hobart Connector Details:
If you can't make Saturday, we have another opportunity for you to help out on Sunday, September 25. Join TAMBA, the bike patrol, Muscle Powered Carson City, and State Parks for a trail day building the new Marlette-Hobart connector trail. Bring long pants, long sleeves, sturdy shoes, gloves, water and a lunch. Meet at 8am at the Lakeview Gate (4500 Hobart Road, Carson City) for 4WD carpool up to the work site. Work will end around 3pm and we should be back at the gate around 4pm.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I rode Armstrong-Toad a few weeks ago and was impressed with all the hard work that has gone into the trails. Has Armstrong been rerouted sometime in the past?. It rides like a modern trail, not like an old horse trail. Sorry I don't get up there often and can't make the work day, but want to let all the volunteers know that their work is appreciated! Yeah, I saw the need to armor up a few spots on Toads, but overall looking good. considering the amount of use.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Armstrong was totally rerouted a little while back. Maybe it was 4 years ago?

The main rocky section at Toads was greatly improved this past Saturday. Go check it out. The lines are far more intuitive. Lots more work to be done, so we'll be back on Toads to work October 22nd.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Thank you - TAMBA and US Forest Service!

Your work is a prime example of how to maintain a trail for sustainability without sanitization.

We were delayed in getting out on Saturday and ended up descending Toads at around 4pm, and may have seen you briefly at the BBQ. The rock garden was as fun and challenging as ever with ample lines. Enough fun that we hiked back up and hit it a second time, just to make sure...

Sending in my TAMBA family membership today!!!

Picture of my daughter at the bottom of the rock garden. Using up most of her front travel and tire pressure, proof that Dad can set up a bike, regardless of what she thinks.
We both rank Toad's as one of the funnest descents around.
Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame Mountain bike

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your work is a prime example of how to maintain a trail for sustainability without sanitization.

We were delayed in getting out on Saturday and ended up descending Toads at around 4pm, and may have seen you briefly at the BBQ. The rock garden was as fun and challenging as ever with ample lines. Enough fun that we hiked back up and hit it a second time, just to make sure...

Sending in my TAMBA family membership today!!!
That's right, we saw you out there afterwards when we were bbqing at the bottom. Thanks for the support and good words!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Update for anyone that enjoys Tahoe's Wild Ride:

Everything in the rock garden was left intact, just strengthened with even more rocks. We closed off a couple braided easier lines and stabilized the main lines. We even incorporated a few larger rock drops and a large rock slab roll just off to the left of the main line as an alternative... There's still plenty of work to be done out there so we'll be back in force on October 22nd again. Working side by side with the Forest Service and looking for all riders to show up and help out. It's a privilege to be able to work on our trails since they don't maintenance themselves.

·
Registered
434 Posts
October 22nd we are going to continue our work on Toads. If you haven't ridden Toads yet this season, you should make that your day. The tools will already be dropped off from the Forest Service, so the hard part of carrying in rock bars, shovels, and sledge hammers will be done for you.
We'll bike in lunch and provide a post work party at Watta bike with beer and food. And maybe some freebies too...
RSVP to trails @ mountainbiketahoe.org or here if you'd like to come.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you are trying to sneak in some last end of the season runs of Toads, why not do it this Saturday? Not only is the dirt in perfect shape, but you can also check out the improved rocky section. Also, the Forest Service was out there just yesterday making some much needed fixes to the fast bottom section. It is riding even better.

I hope people stop by to lend a hand... even if it is for an hour in the middle of their ride.

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
Rode Toads again for the first time in a few years. The waterfall section rocked it! Thanks for your hard work guys and gals.

I only had to unclip on one section, there was a large rock roller halfway down the waterfall and I took the line to the left. That was the wrong line, should have gone to the right.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Is Toads soemthing that you would recommend on a hardtail? Only have 100mm up front and 2.25" 29er tires. Did pretty well climbing/descending the rocky areas on Hobart Rd up to Twin Peaks/TRT but wondering if I have made a bad decision going with a hard tail for Tahoe riding now.
Could it be done? Sure. Also depends on what kind of rider you are. But I would also say it is the most technical legal trail in the Tahoe basin. A friend rides it on a P1, but that is a different kind of hardtail.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ok that is what I was thinking. I have only been riding for a year and my technical skills are still being developed but I am getting to be a stronger rider. I ride what seems to be mostly beginner to intermediate stuff but I want some harder trails to do so that I can get better.

Loop recommendations for S. Lake?
send me a private message. there are lots and lots.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.