Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard a report that Toads starting from Big Meadow is mostly all ridable. A few patches at the start of Toads. Coming from Armstrong still has a lot of patches of snow at Freel Meadows with about a 15-20 minute hike. Wildflowers are out and not too dusty yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,137 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, it's been so warm it's really melting fast. Gonna hit up toads in the AM:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,137 Posts
Well there are still lots of patchs of snow until you get past the waterfall section, needs another week , but if your up here it's totally worth doing IMHO. Did an extended toads ride starting from Luther to Scotts Lake to Big Meadows and up to and down Toads. Really fun morning with Makeuswim & Nutballchamp. Lower part of Toads is already getting dusty, see last pic.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
I was going to wait for the weekend to finish to ask, but if you think Toad's won't be ready until next week, any guess when the Kingsbury to Todd's portion would be ridable?

TahoeBC said:
Well there are still lots of patchs of snow until you get past the waterfall section, needs another week , but if your up here it's totally worth doing IMHO. Did an extended toads ride starting from Luther to Scotts Lake to Big Meadows and up to and down Toads. Really fun morning with Makeuswim & Nutballchamp. Lower part of Toads is already getting dusty, see last pic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,137 Posts
anotherbrian said:
I was going to wait for the weekend to finish to ask, but if you think Toad's won't be ready until next week, any guess when the Kingsbury to Todd's portion would be ridable?
Prolly mid July since it seems everything is about two weeks behind normal, but it is warm so maybe sooner, might get a first hand look in a couple days so stay tuned.

ctripi said:
What was the approximate mileage of the ride? Where did you start.....From HWY88?
18 miles, 2 1/2 hours ride time 3 hours total. Theres a trail that wraps around Waterhouse peak that starts from the top of Luther pass (89) and intersects the fireroad the comes up from 88 just before Scotts Lake. As you pass grass lake on 89 you'll see a pullout that has a sign for the the Toiyabe National Forest, drive past this and park in the next pullout. Ride threw the boulders and find the old Hwy 89 still paved (Snowshoe Thompsen on some maps) about 200 yards down past a couple of cut logs look carefully on your right for a trail that's easy to miss.
 

·
Tahoe Native
Joined
·
67 Posts
I think Toads is worth doing if you are up here to ride, just expect some snow. At least its all on the downhill and you can have some fun with it.
I rode up Armstrong pass today and it is completely snow free to the TRT. I agree with the two week guestimate for heading over the top on the TRT.
 

·
registered user
Joined
·
39 Posts
Thanks for posting - we spent the next two days on TRT / Marlette / Chimney / Spooner etc. to stay closer to Incline. All of that stuff is perfect right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Kingsbury to Toads?

TahoeBC said:
Prolly mid July since it seems everything is about two weeks behind normal, but it is warm so maybe sooner, might get a first hand look in a couple days so stay tuned.
I think I've read first hand accounts that Kingsbury to Star Lake is open as well as Armstrong to Toads. Anyone have news on Star Lake to Armstrong?

We're planning on going up next weekend and staying overnight, so would like to decide on either the south end of the lake or the north. If not Kingsbury to Toad's, then I was thinking we could do Mt Baldy to Tahoe City.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
anotherbrian said:
I think I've read first hand accounts that Kingsbury to Star Lake is open as well as Armstrong to Toads. Anyone have news on Star Lake to Armstrong?

We're planning on going up next weekend and staying overnight, so would like to decide on either the south end of the lake or the north. If not Kingsbury to Toad's, then I was thinking we could do Mt Baldy to Tahoe City.
Star to Armstrong was ridden yesterday - it's basically clear with some patches. Snow is melting crazy fast out there. Places of Toads that had 5 feet a week ago are already clear of snow.
 

·
YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
TahoeBC said:
18 miles, 2 1/2 hours ride time 3 hours total. Theres a trail that wraps around Waterhouse peak that starts from the top of Luther pass (89) and intersects the fireroad the comes up from 88 just before Scotts Lake. As you pass grass lake on 89 you'll see a pullout that has a sign for the the Toiyabe National Forest, drive past this and park in the next pullout. Ride threw the boulders and find the old Hwy 89 still paved (Snowshoe Thompsen on some maps) about 200 yards down past a couple of cut logs look carefully on your right for a trail that's easy to miss.
Hey Tahoe BC,
Is the trail that wraps around waterhouse on the east side of the peak?
And is the fire road FS 079?
I'm going to ride this next week and just wanted to check since I can't find the trail on my NG map. but i see the fire road, the one that turns into Big Meadow trail.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank's
GoGo
 

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
Joined
·
2,560 Posts
I am doing Kingsbury to Toads on Sunday. All is well I presume?
Would anyone like to join me?
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top