Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
artistic...
7,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of the firts bikes that made me go oooohhh!!!. not even in person but from a mag test (mtn biking). prestige tubing(aaaahhh), accutrax fork and geometry that's perfect for me... sniff, memories.any photos please?
another bike that made a strong impression: brodie sovereign.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Toadie

colker1 said:
one of the firts bikes that made me go oooohhh!!!. not even in person but from a mag test (mtn biking). prestige tubing(aaaahhh), accutrax fork and geometry that's perfect for me... sniff, memories.any photos please?
another bike that made a strong impression: brodie sovereign.
My buddy has a Brodie, I think it may even be the sovereign. Not sure though, he was sponsored by them, Bullseye, and of course, Etto. All that stuff hangs dormant in his garage, except the brodie, which after about 15 or so years, is finally getting replaced with a custom job Curtlo is building at the moment, mostly due to not getting any decent power out of the rear U. I'll try to get some pics of it. Stunning paint. Maple leafed airbrushed... In the meantime, here are a few pics of ye old Off Road Toad...

Attachments

·
artistic...
7,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...

flyingsuperpetis said:
My buddy has a Brodie, I think it may even be the sovereign. Not sure though, he was sponsored by them, Bullseye, and of course, Etto. All that stuff hangs dormant in his garage, except the brodie, which after about 15 or so years, is finally getting replaced with a custom job Curtlo is building at the moment, mostly due to not getting any decent power out of the rear U. I'll try to get some pics of it. Stunning paint. Maple leafed airbrushed... In the meantime, here are a few pics of ye old Off Road Toad...
this site is my new home.

·
Registered
11 Posts
an Off Road Toad!!

I was just going to post a query about seeing some ORT's... I lusted after one of those way back in the day!

I came close with my purchase of a Brodie Expresso a few years ago. Got it used from the 'net from a fellow in Vancouver (I am in Michigan)

Love 'dem Canadian bikes!

I would love to see more pics of Off Road Toads! And early Brodies!

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Agamemmnon said:
I was just going to post a query about seeing some ORT's... I lusted after one of those way back in the day!

I came close with my purchase of a Brodie Expresso a few years ago. Got it used from the 'net from a fellow in Vancouver (I am in Michigan)

Love 'dem Canadian bikes!

I would love to see more pics of Off Road Toads! And early Brodies!
I was going to make the same post too...
I have yet to see one for sale.

I know very little of the history of ORT's...
How are they related to Curtlo and Brodie?

·
Registered
11 Posts
regarding Toads

Rumpfy said:
I was going to make the same post too...
I have yet to see one for sale.

I know very little of the history of ORT's...
How are they related to Curtlo and Brodie?
Well, that I am not sure about. All I know is that thet shared that classic sloping top tube layout that was so radical back then. I still have old MBA's wtih ads in them. In fact, I just found my duplicates of MBA issues from the "Golden Era" and may be wandering thru them to see what I have. I will scan an ad and post it!

p.s. I posted a query earlier today on the Canadian bikes NG about pics of old Brodies and ORT's

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
Off Road Toad.. don't know much about them, other than that Chris DeKerf has build some Toad's and that Toad was also a brand from Vancouver-bike-scene.

Toad's had some really light steel frames, with some very distictive features, such as the seatpostbinder that was placed several cm's down on the seattube, below the toptube-seatstay connection at the seattube. Supposed to be lighter... nice, but it required a longer seatpost to stick in the frame, thus it didn't got lighter ;)

Here some pic's I have on my harddrive....

First one is the bike used in the MBA for a test between the Off Road Toad, DeKerf Team, American Flyer Ti and a Brodie.

The next ones are from a Toad that was sold via Ebay a year or two back, over in Germany.... If it was a inch smaller, it was mine... :(

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
Here some pictures from my collection on the harddrive, from Paul Brodie....

Next Sovereign is a very nice specimen that was on display at the Koeln Bike Messe late August last year (germany) and is property of some one from Austria for as far as I remember. All dashed out with IRD brakes (U-brake style at the rear).

A '89 Brodie....

Mr. Brodie in person...

Last... and one of my own bikes; a '96 DeKerf Generation with the Brodie Gatorblade rigid fork. The hardest rigid fork I ever owned... :rolleyes: Still gets it's fair share of singletrack bashing. This bike begs for fast singletracks!

·
artistic...
7,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeroen said:
Here some pictures from my collection on the harddrive, from Paul Brodie....

on mtn biking, john olsen tested the toad. the bike was a product of a shop called mountain and beach, in vancouver.
check the tubes in the green toad: oversized prestige.probably ultralight prestige. i have a bike built with those and it's the best thing i have ever ridden, incl.my current ibis mojo.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
Off Road Toad was the in house brand of the Mountain & Beach bike store here in Vancouver. It used to be "THE" place to see all the high end, expensive mtn bike parts here in Vancouver. Going in there was like going in to a candy store.

The main guy there was Ross Kirkwood. Ross is still around the area, but I'm not sure if he is still in to mtn bikes at all. I know he is involved with cruiser bikes.

I haven't seen one for sale here for a long time, but I have been keeping my eye out.

I did see one being ridden on Mt. Fromme about a year ago though.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Was his name Ross or Rod? I 'm pretty sure the cruiser club guy is Rod. Anyways, I never see Toads around Vancouver - where have they all gone!! I'll still see Sovereigns on the street and the old Rockies, but no Toads. Definitely rare.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was Ross. I used to go to Mountain & Beach quite a bit when he had the store.

To Google we go...

http://www.nsmb.com/trail_tales/its_the_shore_09_00.php

"Ross Kirkwood is generally credited with building the first North Shore trail in 1983 (although he says he wasn't the first). The Kirkford trail on Grouse is steep and challenging and in it's day was considered the pinnacle of gnarl. It lacks built structures but the switch backs with drops in the middle, tight corners and rocky drops make it (like all of Kirkwood's trails) wickedly fun. This was in the era before pads, suspension and low saddles. If you think Kirkford is an easy trail get yourself a 1989 Ritchey (or Norco for that matter) with rigid forks, put the saddle up all the way, make sure that your 2.1 tires are nice and hard, your cantilever brakes are working and that your stem (attached to narrow flat bars) is at least 130 mm long and then give 'er...."

http://www.nsmb.com/trail_tales/cougarangie2_02_05.php

"Back then, Ross Kirkwood's trails, The Stupid Grouse, Seventh Secret, Griffin, and the Tunnel of Love were about the only "extreme" mountain bike trails on the North Shore mountains. They were hard trails then and all of our skills were needed to stay on the trail and on our bikes!"

Also found a little info that looks like he live in Squamish now and is involved with the Sea to Sky Trail Society.

·
Gear Whore
1,356 Posts
Nice, thanks for the pics guys. I loved those bikes...wanted a ORT so bad, that and a Yo Eddy....lol. I would love to get a collection of great old bikes.....I have yet to see a toad up here....but always lookin.

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
colker1 said:
yeah but no trail to ride huh? berlin is FLAT and the air?
Uhuh.. and thats's why the Singlespeed Worlds '04 are held there, because of the total lack of singletrails... :rolleyes:

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
The only reason I own 1 1/8 Nothread King headsets are a pair of white Brodie Sovereigns. One I bought locally and one I got on an ebay auction. Both came with king headsets (first one blue, second red), and both were the identical modelyear sovereign (and several years apart purchasing). The only time I've conciously bought a king headset was a evolution sized nothreadset I snagged for $11 on ebay. My 1" Nothreadset came on a slingshot frame I bought on ebay. If its on a frameset/bike I buy, i'll pull it off for my eventual use but I'm never paying $90 for one.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.