Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was there on Monday. At the top of Main Divide (before going down Silverado Canyon) there was a sign that said closed from April 1st to September 1st. Then when I went down there was a guy from the Warrior's Society preparing to go up. He said that it'll close for the summer... and they ARE strict about ticketing but he also said that it should be open until the end of May this year. I would check with the Warrior's Society, etc to confirm it b/c I wouldn't want to risk a ticket.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
BikeAddict said:
I was there on Monday. At the top of Main Divide (before going down Silverado Canyon) there was a sign that said closed from April 1st to September 1st. Then when I went down there was a guy from the Warrior's Society preparing to go up. He said that it'll close for the summer... and they ARE strict about ticketing but he also said that it should be open until the end of May this year. I would check with the Warrior's Society, etc to confirm it b/c I wouldn't want to risk a ticket.
The latest email I got from the Warrior's Society, stated that the road will be open until the end of May. There was too much water running on April 1 for the toads to mate.

mtnbikej

·
Registered
263 Posts
I spoke with the Rangers on Saturday, March 26th. They were taking the closed from Apr 1 - Sep 30 sign down from the bottom gate.

They told me that the water was too high and fast, and that they would continue to monitor it, and would close the trails when it got to a safe level for the toads.

I asked them their estimate of the time frame, but all they would tell me is that when I come to the lower parking lot; if the sign is not on the fence the trail is open / if the sign is on the fence then the trail is closed for the season.

They said I could call the forest office, but unfortunately the answer via the phone would more than likely be the standard closed from Apr 1 answer.

The said that the clear answer would be when the sign goes up on the lower gate. They also indicated that they had no plans to remove the sign on the top gate; so if you enter from the top, you're gambling on a citation. If you enter from the bottom with no sign on the fence, there will be no citation.

Pretty lame not to be able to call and get a definitive answer before going to the bottom gate, but it's the best answer they would give me.

So far I have kept parking at the bottom gate and when the sign is not there I ride in.

I plan on riding there this Saturday, so I'll post the current condition that afternoon.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Alternate routes?

I've been following this dialogue and I've got a question or two. I'm an Orange county native, long since moved away. Does the seasonal closure just involve maple springs? If soo, then there are other routes up onto Saddleback, right?

I'm going to be down in socal this summer at some point, and I'm thinking it would be fun to bring the mountain bike, and do some of the trails and roads. Any recommendations? Any that aren't worthwhile?

·
Registered
263 Posts
HarryCallahan said:
I've been following this dialogue and I've got a question or two. I'm an Orange county native, long since moved away. Does the seasonal closure just involve maple springs? If soo, then there are other routes up onto Saddleback, right?

I'm going to be down in socal this summer at some point, and I'm thinking it would be fun to bring the mountain bike, and do some of the trails and roads. Any recommendations? Any that aren't worthwhile?
To my knowledge, the closure just involves Maple Springs from from the bottom gate at Silverado Canyon to the Top gate at Main Divide.

The only real issue I have with this is that this also precludes us from riding down Motorway since it terminates about 50 yards past the bottom gate, and you can be cited for being on the other side of the gate.

At the next RRTAC meeting on May 16th, I'm going to make the suggestion to the board that they talk to the National Forest to see if another gate can be installed just past Motorway to allow for year round access to Motorway.

Other than that, there are plenty of other ways up to Main Divide just as fun as Maple Springs.

·
Just another FOCer
1,371 Posts
Other routes up to Saddleback include:

Harding Truck Trail
Holy Jim
Joplin (hike-a-bike)

A fun loop is up Harding and down Joplin. Around 24 miles and takes 4 to 6 hours to complete. (Hammerheads can get it done faster. This ride should only be attempted by intermediate and above riders.)

HarryCallahan said:
If soo, then there are other routes up onto Saddleback, right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.