Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dilemma - totally self created of course. Should I sell both my current Turners, the beloved XR Burner and the beloved '03 Spot and put all the eggs into one brand new '07 Spot? The Burner is tricked out just how I like it, Pushed RP3, full XTR groupo and wheels, Reba, XR rockers - it's been just a blast to ride on the XC stuff, light and fast. The '03 Spot is also tricked out in a more workman-like way, X9, RP3, newer 5.3 rockers. I've gotten used to having the two rides at my disposal for different terrain, local steep climbs and swoopy XC on the Burner and the 5 Spot for Fruita, Moab and points west - Life is good, in fact excellent - but that new 5 Spot design just keeps calling me. I figure I could sell the Burner for maybe $1,500 (it gets less valuable by the day) and maybe the Spot for $2,500 which leaves a pretty good budget for a new build - but I'm back to just one Turner then, and I have usually regretted selling most of my many bikes. Is the new design really that much of an improvement? Will I regret not having two rides to put on the red couch? Can I truly be happy with just one Turner again? I'm inherently resisting the exchange because I've had so much fun on both rides and there's nothing mechanically wrong with either - it's just that nagging "what if"? What's a poor Homer to do?
Your input is appreciated

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Sell the frames, along with a couple of hundred pints of blood and buy a Flux and a RFX.

Tough choices man. Two great bikes for the latest and greatest. No help from me on this.

·
Large member
2,751 Posts
Looks to me like you answered your own question - keep what you've got! UGI can be satiated in many ways - how about some new tyres? :D

Seriously, I know how much the need for new and shiny can bite, but while you would have a nice new bike, I'm pretty sure you'd regret it....

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL!:p I think my blood is too diluted with Hornitos to be worth anything. No the RFX + Flux route crossed my mind, but I don't want or need an RFX. The experiment with the Burly Spot last fall convinced me that a bigger burlier ride is not what I'm after. I'd build a hybrid of the Burner and the '03 Spot - a 28lb all mountain XC trailbike to cover all the variety of terrain I ride - I don't need a bike as burly as the RFX, and the slight overlap between what the Burner does and what the Spot does has me thinking maybe I only need one to do it all.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Hmmmm I do see your point. Maybe then the '07 Spot with a RP23 and a Pike might be able to change character and geometry enough to play both roles nicely. Since you've got your bikes so dialed, I'd suggest you put some real trail time on the '07 before selling.

Going back to one bike does leave you w/o a backup if a major component fails. Also there's that big empty hole it'll leave on the couch.

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
sounds like you have the bikes you really like and suit your riding style...so why bother trying to find something you really really like, when you already have that?:confused:

i second keeping the bikes you have.:thumbsup::)

if you want to spend some $$ - give them spiffy new paint jobs! :)

or you can get yourself a couple of really spiffy new lycra outfits! :D:smilewinkgrin:

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
cutthroat said:
the slight overlap between what the Burner does and what the Spot does has me thinking maybe I only need one to do it all.
Even if you're right about this, that doesn't mean the '07 Spot would be the logical choice. In fact, the older Spot with its lower bottom bracket, lesser travel, & slightly steeper seat tube angle may be the better option in terms of one bike to do it all. But then when has UGI ever been subject to logic? :p

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
SSINGA said:
Waiting for JNC to chime in with "get a Sultan"....because that's all I ever hear from him anymore. :p
aren't you too short for a 29er????:confused:

:D

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
SSINGA said:
Waiting for JNC to chime in with "get a Sultan"....because that's all I ever hear from him anymore. :p
:lol: I thought about throwing that in there too, but figured it kind of goes without saying at this point. In my mind, anyone (of sufficient stature :p ) considering a Flux and/or Spot owes it to themself to at least test ride a Sultan if at all possible. Maybe this should be added to the FAQ's. ;)

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dHarriet said:
aren't you too short for a 29er????:confused::D
I'm certain that comment was aimed and SSinga and not me - I already have a 29er, and a road bike, and a SS and 2 Turners. In fact, I just had to go for a ride on the new SS to sort these things out. Thanks for the input - since the '07s are still in production, I 'll just ride the daylights out of the bikes I have. Fruita here I come. Some shots from the lunch hour climb out of the river valley and up to Missouri Heights. Spring is here in Colorado and that's Mt. Sopris.. This time of year is great, ski in the morning, ride the afternoon and flyfish the evening midge hatch at cocktail hour - as I said, life is good!:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
cutthroat said:
I'm certain that comment was aimed and SSinga and not me

sounds like you've got all you need...so take out the kids and the dog...and enjoy your ride!!! :D

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
You and I have the same Burner

I've got an '04 Burner with a PUSHed Float, XR rockers and Reba that I really like, same as your Burner I'm guessing (almost). 26.6 lbs. It complements my other single pivot bike (an '07 Superlight that I just built up). Anyway, Mr. Cutthroat, have you done any test driving of a Flux in comparison to your Burner? Is selling your tricked-out Burner and getting a Flux with essentially the same build basically duplicating the Burner? I can imagine there's quite a difference between a stock Burner and stock Flux, but our Burners are decidedly NOT stock.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
xcguy said:
Is selling your tricked-out Burner and getting a Flux with essentially the same build basically duplicating the Burner? I can imagine there's quite a difference between a stock Burner and stock Flux, but our Burners are decidedly NOT stock.
No they are definitely not stock - I've said before that I think the XR Burners are about 95% of the what the Flux is, just a half pound heavier and stronger. (About time for Cactus to chime in with a flame job). I wasn't looking at going for a Flux. I think 'Zilla is closest to being right that a Spot with a U-Turn fork can get almost as XC as the XR Burner, but can do more agressive terrain better. Interesting that your Burner is 26.6 - that's exactly where mine comes in with a lighter tire. I think I answered my own question though - why mess up a good thing? I'm selling the 29er, buying a case of Tequila and taking both Turners to Moab for a second honey moon.:cool:

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
oh i love this part! the flux has very little to do with the burner in ride comparison other than the whole "it has 2 wheels" thing. believe it xcguy.

so, ct, ill offer this up to ya. id be inclined to agree with miles. if the b/bkt on yer current spot doesnt hang up on the rides ya do now, toss some '07 rockers on it and see what happens then call that one done. now its flux time! or a sultan i guess. whichever, loose the burner. that geo had its day and that day has past on.

edit: you know me oh so well ct!

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cactuscorn said:
loose the burner. that geo had its day and that day has past on.
I'm not sure that the geo on the XR Burner is all that different from the Flux, although your mods obviously change the whole enchilada - (sorry, couldn't resist).

Attachments

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Non-Homer chiming in:

Sell both. Then build up a new, nicely kitted out 5-Spot with two wheelsets. A lighter set, and a burly/abusive set. Rotors/cassettes/tires setup on both sets, to minimize time taken to swap things out. Pike Air something up front, air shock of choice in the back.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
So, CC...answer me this...

cactuscorn said:
oh i love this part! the flux has very little to do with the burner in ride comparison other than the whole "it has 2 wheels" thing. believe it xcguy.

so, ct, ill offer this up to ya. id be inclined to agree with miles. if the b/bkt on yer current spot doesnt hang up on the rides ya do now, toss some '07 rockers on it and see what happens then call that one done. now its flux time! or a sultan i guess. whichever, loose the burner. that geo had its day and that day has past on.

edit: you know me oh so well ct!
Me and ct knew you'd dismiss our Burners as "not a Flux so why bother" but have you ever ridden an '04 Burner with a PUSHed Float R and XR rockers? I swear, my bike was reborn as something very different. I look at the Flux's geometrical differences from a Burner and I also see the frame weight difference...but you all here have heard me whine in the past about the stock Burner's lack of acceleration when climbing. That's been mostly rectified with my mods (although I'm not even going to try to imagine why). It still doesn't climb like my single pivot bike(s)--a Santa Cruz Superlight and my other sp an '03 Fisher Sugar 2+. There is no RFX UGI in my future and probably not even a Spot, given that I'm such a wuss on the downhills. But...and this is a big but...could it possibly be that a Flux climbs like my single pivot bikes (like being pulled by a bungee cord uphill) but still be as amazingly plush as my Reborn Burner?

Hope this isn't thread stealing, cutthroat.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts