Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a good hosting site? Are there any that really stand out? I'm thinking of getting one going (yeah yeah I know........welcome to 2002) and wondered if any of you had any advice.

Feel free to link your blog too if you wish! It'll help me get some idea of what's what out there.

Thanks for any help!
Ska!

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
if you want to pay money, www.squarespace.com way more features than a free service. You can get your own URL, with out having to put in .wordpress.com. Plus you can do tons more with it than just blog. You can set up a amazon store on it, host videos and images. You also have free rain to do do HTML coding and have it all custom.

·
slow
7,685 Posts
Dremer03 said:
... You can get your own URL, with out having to put in .wordpress.com...
SteveUK said:
...inexpensive premium features (like losing the .wordpress.com from the address)...
I am getting around having .wordpress.com in the URL by purchasing a domain name and forwarding it to my Wordpress site. This costs about $10.87 per year.

http://www.sgltrak.com/

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
sgltrak said:
I am getting around having .wordpress.com in the URL by purchasing a domain name and forwarding it to my Wordpress site. This costs about $10.87 per year.

http://www.sgltrak.com/
My site has a URL from Godaddy.com but I can actually go in a tweak the server settings so my actual URL is www.****.com which forwarding does. But if you go to another part of my site say the Gallery, the url is going to be www.****.com/gallery, or www.****.com/videos. When you forward your URL is going to be www.****.com but when you arrive at the site it shows up as the .wordpress. If you want it to look cleaner you can do forwarding with masking, but this makes problems with linking. When you mask a URL your making all the pages on your site www.****.com, which makes copying the URL to link to a specific spot on your site impossible unless you know what the whole unmasked URL for that section of your site.

I am not sure about the word press premium features but I would think it is not actually masking and forwarding, but doing what I explained above.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
dremer, you can also go into the features of wordpress and change how the pages are generated through the permalinks option. This is assuming that your server (apache) allows you to modify the .htaccess file and has the mod_rewrite option enabled. This shouldn't be a problem, if it isn't, just ask them since you're paying for the service. A little server knowhow and some coding in the apache program options will eliminate the linking problems. If is possible to construct a dynamic site this way and the public and search engine spiders will think it is a static one.

For the OP, I had a very bad experience with GoDaddy.com and their billing practices. It was a simple mistake on their end, but it took a BBB complaint for them to correct it. I'm sure this could happen with any company. If I were to host another site, I would go through a different domain registrar, there are plenty to choose from.

As for hosting, if you want to have total control over your site, renting your own host will be a better choice than forwarding your domain from a free host. You can get a better price if you pay for the whole year up front vs month to month.

They're not the cheapest server, but I have always had good experiences with phpwebhosting.com. They run unix servers loaded up with Apache2, Mysql, and PHP. Everything you need to run a very robust website. The servers are fairly quick and they are generous with email accounts and bandwidth allotments. For me, their customer service has always been excellent. Again, there is a lot of competition out there, so there are many good companies to choose from.

Whichever host you use, Wordpress is probably the best blogging platform out there. If you know nothing about web programming, there are plenty of themes for your site available to download. If you're comfortable with php, mysql, html, css, and javascript, you can use wordpress as a fully functional CMS for any type of site.

·
Custom User Title
371 Posts
I use blogspot. It is very simple to use and works for my needs. I don't know much about the other ones mentioned, but blogspot is extremely user friendly if you never blogged before. My blog is in my sig if you want to see (shameless plug, heh).

·
slow
7,685 Posts
Dremer03 said:
My site has a URL from Godaddy.com but I can actually go in a tweak the server settings so my actual URL is www.****.com which forwarding does. But if you go to another part of my site say the Gallery, the url is going to be www.****.com/gallery, or www.****.com/videos. When you forward your URL is going to be www.****.com but when you arrive at the site it shows up as the .wordpress. If you want it to look cleaner you can do forwarding with masking, but this makes problems with linking. When you mask a URL your making all the pages on your site www.****.com, which makes copying the URL to link to a specific spot on your site impossible unless you know what the whole unmasked URL for that section of your site.

I am not sure about the word press premium features but I would think it is not actually masking and forwarding, but doing what I explained above.
Thanks for the information. I have done very little of this, and am learning as I go. Mine is masked and I can access specific pages by forwarding to up to 90 subdomains per domain. (subdomain.******.com)

·
since 4/10/2009
34,371 Posts
I agree that paying for a domain and a hosting package is the way to go. I use godaddy and pay $60/yr for a basic linux hosting package. So far the bandwidth and storage have been more than appropriate for my uses. I also use Flickr to store my photos, and i pay for a premium service from them. It eases the load on my website to pull my photos from elsewhere.

On my godaddy site, I use wordpress.org for the front end. It's REALLY nice. I have a number of site plug-ins to add functionality to it. Some of them give site visitors functionality, and others help me on the admin side of things (with spam and such). And with it, I not only get to have a blog, but I also get to maintain other pages with other information (most basic free blogging sites like blogger limit you to just one blog page).

There are a number of skins you can use, and customizing them is easy. I've been working to customize mine a bit. I've done the header bar so far. You can visit it from my sig to see what I've got going on. One of my favorites is that I host my own GPS data on my own site and use a plugin that allows me to display .gpx and .kml files without embedding content from another gps data site.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,184 Posts
Blogs aren't a waste of space. Mine has an article about how to build a PC. It answers a few questions friends have.

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, so now, how do you get the word out about it? I'm just starting out here so it's all new to me. Is it just word of mouth for the most part? I'm still working on the layout ( from tools to use right down to fonts) and stuff so I won't really let too many of my friends know until I'm done and at least have some sort of content.

How can I make it better?

Thanks,
Ska!

http://theslowspoke.blogspot.com/
Here's what I put up so far (again, totally new and a work in progress - thanks)

http://theslowspoke.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
189 Posts
I originally started mine when I was doing the Colorado Trail Race and raising money for the LAF. I did it so that donors could follow along with the prep of getting ready for the race and follow along with the SPOT. Now its a great way for me to stay in touch with friends. I've met a lot of really cool people through it but I felt like a dork when I started it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.