Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Got a suspension fork
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you happen to be the gal who was, I think, in a white shirt on an orangish bike riding east on Trail 100 this afternoon, and you basically tried running me off the trail as I was climbing up the trail then this message is for you.

Since you seem to know how to ride a bike, you should be aware that the person riding downhill yields to the rider going uphill. Although since you don't seem to know this basic tenant of trail riding then maybe you also need to be told that mountain bikers also yield to both hikers and horses.

You're lucky I'm nice, some guys like skinny-tire would have stiff armed you off your bike as you rode past yelling at me to get our of your way.

Just for reference, here is a snippet below from this website which lays out Trail Etiquette.

Yield to other mountain bikers

Mountain bikers going uphill have the right of way over riders travelling downhill. If a trail is wide enough for only one bike, you must stop and move aside to let uphill riders pass if you are traveling downhill. It's harder for a rider going uphill to restart his climb then for a rider going downhill to restart his decent. It is just common sense - common courtesy.
Have a better day and please learn some trail etiquette.
 

·
No new blood
Joined
·
156 Posts
Randy, you are relying on Rude Rider being an MTBR member and reading your post. Had you employed the stiff arm method, you would have ensured that she would look twice on all her future downhill adventures and perhaps yield to all other riders while hoping the rider she sees coming up the hill is you, so she could run you off the trail again. At least the rest of us would be safe. You had a chance to take one for the team and politely refused.

Maybe she was this person: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=685211
Too bad the OP edited the original post. The CL link is priceless, though.
 

·
Got a suspension fork
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know it all happen so fast, I guess I need to do some training on quick reaction stiff arming. I can tell you it would have made me feel a lot better. Off to read that thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Yeah!!! What he said!!!! Compounding her error by yelling at us didn't help. I'd sort of given up on trying to make people behave right on the trails, but I might have to get all combative again. Great ride Randy, thanks for going! I was on my last leg dragging up the street to my house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
It's not just trails!! It's everything in life these days. As a group we have all become too self absorbed and thoughtless!!!

However, maybe she was totally out of control and was a run away bus and was afraid she was going to take you out.







but probably not!
 

·
bland
Joined
·
1,294 Posts
randyharris said:
If you happen to be the gal who was, I think, in a white shirt on an orangish bike riding east on Trail 100 this afternoon, and you basically tried running me off the trail as I was climbing up the trail then this message is for you.

Since you seem to know how to ride a bike, you should be aware that the person riding downhill yields to the rider going uphill. Although since you don't seem to know this basic tenant of trail riding then maybe you also need to be told that mountain bikers also yield to both hikers and horses.

You're lucky I'm nice, some guys like skinny-tire would have stiff armed you off your bike as you rode past yelling at me to get our of your way.

Just for reference, here is a snippet below from this website which lays out Trail Etiquette.

Have a better day and please learn some trail etiquette.
Sorry! I was in a hurry, I ate a breakfast burrito from a questionable restaurant and needed to get to a port-o-john.

Once again sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
My guess is she doesn't read AZ MTBR Forums. There are a lot of mountain bikers out there who just ride their bikes for fun (but don't eat, breath and sleep mountain bikes). They don't always know or honor trail etiquette. To a larger extend the failure is within the mountain bike community, we need to come up with a better way to educate our trail users .

I've ridden a few trail systems that had some good educational signs at the trailhead that would remind people of etiquette. What would be more effective is a sign at the top of a hill that says "Downhill traffic yields to uphill". Scatter a few more signs along the trail with the other etiquette situations and people will start learning it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
CrankyMonkey said:
My guess is she doesn't read AZ MTBR Forums. There are a lot of mountain bikers out there who just ride their bikes for fun (but don't eat, breath and sleep mountain bikes). They don't always know or honor trail etiquette. To a larger extend the failure is within the mountain bike community, we need to come up with a better way to educate our trail users .

I've ridden a few trail systems that had some good educational signs at the trailhead that would remind people of etiquette. What would be more effective is a sign at the top of a hill that says "Downhill traffic yields to uphill". Scatter a few more signs along the trail with the other etiquette situations and people will start learning it.
I agree. Some people ride their bikes, and have no clue about the do's and dont's. Like me...Then some guy thinks he's going to elbow someone with out getting hurt.:nono:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,515 Posts
I think we have this all backwards, maybe downhillers should have the right of way since it's the actual fun part of it all and slow guys like me love having an excuse to pull over and take a break while climbing anyways. If your really thinking about stiff arming someone (especially a woman) maybe you need an anger management class, it is after all just riding bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
CrankyMonkey said:
My guess is she doesn't read AZ MTBR Forums. There are a lot of mountain bikers out there who just ride their bikes for fun (but don't eat, breath and sleep mountain bikes). They don't always know or honor trail etiquette. To a larger extend the failure is within the mountain bike community, we need to come up with a better way to educate our trail users .

I've ridden a few trail systems that had some good educational signs at the trailhead that would remind people of etiquette. What would be more effective is a sign at the top of a hill that says "Downhill traffic yields to uphill". Scatter a few more signs along the trail with the other etiquette situations and people will start learning it.
I think this is the case with any sport. It happens all the time when wakeboarding! People who don't have a clue "power turn" and create huge rollers for everyone else to deal with. Before you know it the lake is full choppy waves and no one is having fun any more. This is what we are trying to do...

No Power Turns . Com

I give out bumper stickers, t-shirts, etc... to people who don't have a clue. I'm sure it would work to some extent with mountain biking too.
 

·
Shred...it's the new drug
Joined
·
3,844 Posts
raisingarizona said:
I think we have this all backwards, maybe downhillers should have the right of way since it's the actual fun part of it all and slow guys like me love having an excuse to pull over and take a break while climbing anyways. If your really thinking about stiff arming someone (especially a woman) maybe you need an anger management class, it is after all just riding bikes.
^ like!!!
 

·
Got a suspension fork
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
raisingarizona said:
I think we have this all backwards, maybe downhillers should have the right of way since it's the actual fun part of it all and slow guys like me love having an excuse to pull over and take a break while climbing anyways. If your really thinking about stiff arming someone (especially a woman) maybe you need an anger management class, it is after all just riding bikes.
Let me get this straight, she screams at me as she tries running me off the trail and I am the one that needs anger management?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,515 Posts
randyharris said:
Let me get this straight, she screams at me as she tries running me off the trail and I am the one that needs anger management?
Don't take anything I say too seriously, after all I have spent a life dedicated to riding bikes and sliding down snow covered mountains on funny looking sticks. I'm just saying don't let it ruin your day or ride.
 

·
suvlako
Joined
·
535 Posts
Ignorance or blatant disregard, you think a stiff arm is the answer? You try that on me and.... oh boy! Besides, that rule sux.;)
 

·
Got a suspension fork
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
suvlako said:
Ignorance or blatant disregard, you think a stiff arm is the answer? You try that on me and.... oh boy! Besides, that rule sux.;)
I would tend to think that if you're not being a jerk to other people on the trail then you have nothing to worry about.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top