Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to start mountain biking last spring, but I had a rather serious health issue. I'm feeling much better and ready to ride! However, I've had a setback: I have a minor surgery scheduled for the end of March. It's an abdominal laparoscopy, should be able to run on a tread three to four weeks post-surgery. Do you think that I will be able to ride around the same time, or will the movements be significantly more dangerous? I won't be doing any major riding, as this will be my first experience. I want to go into the surgery with the mindset that I have a deadline to get my butt off the couch and just do it!

I plan to rent a bike in WI near Kettle Moraine, to ride the John Muir trail as soon as possible. My hope is to be riding my own mtn bike by the end of the summer.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I think you should be able to ride about the same time you can run. Riding is less jarring to your body than running. The things to consider are the risk of falling and what a fall could do to your recovery. If the answer is that a fall could be very bad, then ride in locations where the probability of falling is very low--like a paved bike path. Be sure to listen to your body. If it hurts to ride, make sure you aren't damaging the healing process. I'd stay away from steep hills where you really engage your core muscles to get enough power into the pedals.

Good luck with your surgery!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response. My mtb hubby suggested an easy route for me that is not too far from home (Rock Cut in IL). I don't know where the rentals would be out there, though.

In the past, my core strength always is poor for months after my laparoscopies (this will be my 4th). I'm working on that now so recovery will be easier. My bigger concern going into this is just what you say, falling. But I can ride on the paved trails by my house any day... I really don't want to miss out on mbtr this spring and summer. I've waited long enough!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.