Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
K, it's not what you're thinking. What you do with your bits and pieces is your business. However, I was wondering if many mountain bikers shave their arms and/or legs. Today I ate $hit on my first ride out with my 575. I'm pretty lucky I walked away from it with the few injuries that I had, but I couldn't help but wonder if perhaps the cut wouldn't have been as bad if my arms were shaved. I recently learned that cyclists shave their arms and legs so that when they wreck, the cuts aren't as deep, as there are no hair follicles to rip open the injury even more. K, hit me with your thoughts/experience.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
racer1337 said:
Shaving is for rodies and chicks. I don't know how much time I am going to shave off my ride ( if any )by lathering up.
:nono:
Umm, the original post wasn't about "shaving" time, but shaving to reduce the severity of cuts when one eats $hit.

·
My dogs are barkin
125 Posts
socalenduro said:
a. chicks dig scars
b. chicks dont dig shaved legs

you make the conclusion
Chicks I know dig it and it hasn't helped a bit with the scarring. However, it does make the healing process go much quicker and with less chance of infection. I shave my legs (holdover from the road racing days) and there have been many times that I was thankful of it, too.

I say shave, you get a better tan as a side bonus. Am starting to wonder if I should shave my arms and back as well...

:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dillier23 said:
Don't take it the wrong way, but how many guys do you see with shaved arms and legs? If you do see them what is the first thing that crosses your mind? Now do you want others to think the same of you?
The first thing I think is, 'He either rides or he's a bodybuilder.' What is the first thing you think?

·
Singletrack +1
212 Posts
Well, regardless of what they think, it just looks unatural. Sure, if you're in the "setting", such as on your bike, people just say "oh yeah, he's really into it, good effort..." But at the mall, it turns to "whoa... check out the mutant burn victim..." No offense to burn victims or mutants. Keep it natural, unless you plan on wiping out a lot, and spend a majority of your day on thr trail. then you may just pull it off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Duke of Earl said:
Chicks I know dig it and it hasn't helped a bit with the scarring. However, it does make the healing process go much quicker and with less chance of infection. I shave my legs (holdover from the road racing days) and there have been many times that I was thankful of it, too.

I say shave, you get a better tan as a side bonus. Am starting to wonder if I should shave my arms and back as well...

:D
eww..:confused:

·
Registered
456 Posts
shave around the area after the crash, if its bad enugh to use a bandage. I personally would let that one go without, it stoped bleading and appears to be fine. make your own desision but thats just me.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
You can trim them down a little but shaving them is a colossal waste of time.
As to the notion that they prevent damage, That is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. And I have cut my legs o' plenty. I have never had an infection from too much leg hair.

The pic of the knee is nothing. Wipe it off and get on with the ride. A couple months ago someone posted a pic of his buddy who was literally scalped on a crash because he wasn't wearing a helmet. Now that was a wound.!

Since when did hair block out the sun? Are some of you people Silverbacks?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.