Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has ridden a Trek Fuel Ex and the Ripmo and can share any thoughts on a comparison. I have a 2017 Fuel Ex 9.8 now that I am considering replacing with a Ripmo. I live on the east coast and ride pretty tight singletrack with short, punchy climbs and short, fast descents.

I like the Fuel Ex but I'm 6'1.5" (33" inseam shoeless) and have a Lg frame.. think I'd have been better off with an XL... but was concerned about a longer wheelbase. Seem to be facing the same dilemma with the Ripmo. Anyways, would like something a bit more comfortable on longer rides but want to keep it fast and playful. Any thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wondering if anyone has ridden a Trek Fuel Ex and the Ripmo and can share any thoughts on a comparison. I have a 2017 Fuel Ex 9.8 now that I am considering replacing with a Ripmo. I live on the east coast and ride pretty tight singletrack with short, punchy climbs and short, fast descents.

I like the Fuel Ex but I'm 6'1.5" (33" inseam shoeless) and have a Lg frame.. think I'd have been better off with an XL... but was concerned about a longer wheelbase. Seem to be facing the same dilemma with the Ripmo. Anyways, would like something a bit more comfortable on longer rides but want to keep it fast and playful. Any thoughts appreciated!
I have not ridden a Fuel EX, but as far as sizing--Ripmo! I'm a hair under 6'2'', 34" cycling inseam, riding a large Ripmo and totally satisfied with the fit. Super agile and have not had a problem on long rides/climbs (Cochran's in Richmond for example). Front wheel is totally planted on climbs and overall noticeably better handling on switchbacks than my last bike (27.5 Devinci Troy). Excellent on the tight, twisty up and down around here. The XL is probably a little more stable on super fast open descents, but after demoing a large for 2 days, didn't bother trying an XL before going ahead with the large.

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,327 Posts
Ripmo is one of the best bikes ever made. It’s winning all the comparisons and has a waiting list. Get one if you can find one.

Not an xc bike. Not a dh sled. Everthing in between it’s best of the best.

Try a large and XL. See which one you like better. I’m 6’4” on an XL with a 60mm stem.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
These are really different bikes----the Trek more toward XC in the trail category and the Ripmo more toward ews------beyond sizing which you need to determine----i am 6 foot and 34.4 inseam and that gets me to a 21.5 on the trek. I suspect for tight single track the trek is a better choice----the ripmo is a great bike but it is big and more of a west coast bike where most of our trails are more open and fast. You will get trek hate and ripmo love on this blog but both get great reviews---go ride a ripmo and see for yourself

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
worst leverage rate of all "enduro" bikes if you're really pushing it. If you're putzing around sure... it's light and climbs well but then so does any XC bike...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have ridden the newest fuel ex 9.8. Love the Trek suspension, but the Ripmos is just better all around. I was really looking at a Ripley but the Ripmo actually climbs better on technical terrain in my opinion. This is a quick nimble bike. I live in Vermont and think it suits the techy single track perfectly. But you should get on one and see for yourself.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
I will also say that all the Bontrager stuff specd on the Trek was a real turnoff. I built my Ripmo custom with exactly what I wanted. If you're dropping $6k you should get exactly what you want.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts

I'm 5'10" with 32" pant inseam. I've spent a lot of time on a 2017 Fuel EX 9.8 (19.5) and a large Ripmo. In my opinion, the Fuel EX, climbs just a little better overall while the Ripmo crushes big fast descents....but so does the Fuel EX, just not as gnarly due to less travel and geometry. Having lived in New England, I'd say the Ripmo would not be my first choice (and I'm an Ibis and DW Link fanboy) based on the terrain you ride most.

·
No Clue Crew
7,172 Posts
I owned a Fuel a bit ago and have tested all the most recent models. Two pretty different bikes. I live out west, so no input on the OP’s riding conditions. With that in mind, I personally didn’t get along with the Trek suspension.

On steep, ledgey stuff, I couldn’t get the FEX to pedal properly in open.

In my terrain, it’s not even close. The Ibis is hands-down a better all-around bike.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately, there is nowhere within a few hours of me where I can demo an Ibis so I'm just going off reviews and others' experiences on here. I have been tempted to buy a Ripley but based on some recent reviews I've seen, sounds like some people think the Ripmo climbs as well, is about as playful, and descends better so I've been eyeing it lately. I had a 140mm Tallboy LTC before the Trek and was a little faster on it; it was a couple lbs lighter though. How does the Ripmo fare in techy climbs? There are a couple sections I'd clean on the LTC that I can't make on the Trek.. Not sure if it's the slacker HA, suspension, or weight.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I owned a Fuel a bit ago and have tested all the most recent models. Two pretty different bikes. I live out west, so no input on the OP’s riding conditions. With that in mind, I personally didn’t get along with the Trek suspension.

On steep, ledgey stuff, I couldn’t get the FEX to pedal properly in open.

In my terrain, it’s not even close. The Ibis is hands-down a better all-around bike.
Yeah I've stopped running it open bc of similar issues. Good to hear you found the Ripmo to handle that stuff better.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will also say that all the Bontrager stuff specd on the Trek was a real turnoff. I built my Ripmo custom with exactly what I wanted. If you're dropping $6k you should get exactly what you want.

Are you guys getting shops to come off the price any? The one I talked to wouldn't budge on the GX build. I got a quote for a GX with 942s on i9s for just over $6k without a dropper. If I try to build one up on my own, I'm coming in well over $7k. Hell, the frame, fork, and 942s is over $5700 alone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Are you guys getting shops to come off the price any? The one I talked to wouldn't budge on the GX build. I got a quote for a GX with 942s on i9s for just over $6k without a dropper. If I try to build one up on my own, I'm coming in well over $7k. Hell, the frame, fork, and 942s is over $5700 alone.

Call pro bike supply. They'll take care of you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Unfortunately, there is nowhere within a few hours of me where I can demo an Ibis so I'm just going off reviews and others' experiences on here. I have been tempted to buy a Ripley but based on some recent reviews I've seen, sounds like some people think the Ripmo climbs as well, is about as playful, and descends better so I've been eyeing it lately. I had a 140mm Tallboy LTC before the Trek and was a little faster on it; it was a couple lbs lighter though. How does the Ripmo fare in techy climbs? There are a couple sections I'd clean on the LTC that I can't make on the Trek.. Not sure if it's the slacker HA, suspension, or weight.

It's incredible for technical climbs. Rolls over everything and accelerates like crazy. I rode the Ripley and Ripmo back to back. The Ripley wins for flat none technical terrain. Otherwise the Ripmo blows it away in every category.

·
Banned
252 Posts

Check out one of their demo days. If you are in NC, the closest is in Georgia in March.

https://www.ibiscycles.com/buytry/ibis_demo_tour/

Then again, if you have the budget for an ibis, check out one of the outer bike festivals, where you can demo lots of bike brands.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Honestly it is beyond my ability to grasp someone spending 6-7K on a bike they have never ridden and using input from folks they never will meet and who ride in terrain that may really differ-----especially when they live in a sizable city as is the case here where bikes the locals ride must be available to demo.

Back alley bikes is about 45 miles from OP and an IBIS dealer---probably non stocking dealer---call them and see if they can turn you onto a local owner-----also a dealer in Hickory (lightening)-130 miles away---if they cannot refer then I would wonder

·
Banned
252 Posts
Honestly it is beyond my ability to grasp someone spending 6-7K on a bike they have never ridden and using input from folks they never will meet and who ride in terrain that may really differ-----especially when they live in a sizable city as is the case here where bikes the locals ride must be available to demo.

Back alley bikes is about 45 miles from OP and an IBIS dealer---probably non stocking dealer---call them and see if they can turn you onto a local owner-----also a dealer in Hickory (lightening)-130 miles away---if they cannot refer then I would wonder
You're trolling him in a rather unfair way. OP has given detailed information on his current bike, the types of trails he rides on, his height and inseam to help gauge bike fit, and lists the key characteristics he thinks are important in a new bike.

Also, he never said he was committed to buying the bike, only that he was considering it. After all, the Ripmo is a general use trail bike first, and has received lots and lots of positive reviews in the bike press.

You're giving unhelpful advice by 'referring' him to a dealer without any bikes and to a second 130 miles away. I'm not sure why you have an axe to grind, but tarring and feathering a guy because he's asking questions about a mountain bike on a mountain bike forum is just silly.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Sorry for your reaction----I was trying to be helpful in getting him to call these other dealers to see if he can speak with someone more in his area about their experience with the bike i perhaps his terrain---albeit not all that close but perhaps better than input from say me in santa cruz riding more open and flowy trails

1 - 20 of 47 Posts