Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...that is my question!

I have a 01 Zocchi Z1 MCR that seems to have lost some of it's plushness. The sag is set to the correct amount but there seems to be a lot of travel used up when I'm riding on flat ground. I was going to do an oil change (haven't done that in several years) to see if that would help. As I was going through the manual, I looked at the problem-resolution chart. It had my problem in there and said that the bushings could be worn out. I priced out the bushings, seals, and oil (that I already got) to do a complete rebuild and it's a little over $100.00. I can keep the oil for future use, but do you think it's worth the rebuild? Do you think a rebuild would correct my problem? I do like the fork a lot but is it just time to upgrade???

Thanks for the advice in advance!!!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
unless you're really feeling the need to get a new fork (lotsa cash), go for a rebuild. it's been well worth it for a couple of my Z2's. it's been a couple yrs since I've sent one back to marzocchi, but it was about $85 for the Z2 last I checked.
Unless the bushings are shot, I replace oil & seals on my own as needed. oil gets changed 1-2 times/yr (sounds like you're well overdue for oil change!).

Have you called marzocchi to see how much the rebuild will be? Their tech support is great too, so I'd give 'em a ring, they can walk you through checking bushing wear to make sure that's what it is.
661-257-6630 (i've got an invoice sitting on my desk, so # is handy.)
jblaze7777 said:
...that is my question!

I have a 01 Zocchi Z1 MCR that seems to have lost some of it's plushness. The sag is set to the correct amount but there seems to be a lot of travel used up when I'm riding on flat ground. I was going to do an oil change (haven't done that in several years) to see if that would help. As I was going through the manual, I looked at the problem-resolution chart. It had my problem in there and said that the bushings could be worn out. I priced out the bushings, seals, and oil (that I already got) to do a complete rebuild and it's a little over $100.00. I can keep the oil for future use, but do you think it's worth the rebuild? Do you think a rebuild would correct my problem? I do like the fork a lot but is it just time to upgrade???

Thanks for the advice in advance!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thank you, thank you for the number! I'll give them a ring and see if I need the bushings...

logbiter said:
unless you're really feeling the need to get a new fork (lotsa cash), go for a rebuild. it's been well worth it for a couple of my Z2's. it's been a couple yrs since I've sent one back to marzocchi, but it was about $85 for the Z2 last I checked.
Unless the bushings are shot, I replace oil & seals on my own as needed. oil gets changed 1-2 times/yr (sounds like you're well overdue for oil change!).

Have you called marzocchi to see how much the rebuild will be? Their tech support is great too, so I'd give 'em a ring, they can walk you through checking bushing wear to make sure that's what it is.
661-257-6630 (i've got an invoice sitting on my desk, so # is handy.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did the rebuild a few weeks ago...

... got the bushings and seals from www.chainreactioncycles.com. Wasn't really a hard process to do at all, although by the time I was putting it back together I had tipped a few back. Ended up putting the 'forged M' part on backwards. Anyway... the rebuild was a complete success. I was quickly reminded of how great and plush Zocchi forks are. If anyone is tempted to to an upgrade like I was... try to rebuild first! Saved me several hundred dollars!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.