Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am going to be building up a frame my friend is selling me. I have everything to build it up as a 1x9 but now the tricky part..... So my wheelset is nothing to rave about. Its a set of Alex DA 18 Rims and a set of disc hubs. The disc hubs are bolt on axle. They are coming off of a single speed as well as the brakes, crank, fork, post, saddle, bars and stem.

I am just wondering hypothetically what would you do. Keep the bolt on axle hubs or buy a new set of hubs and lace the wheel back up. I mean I do keep a wrench in my pack as my other single speed will still have bolt on hubs so its not like its an pain in the butt. I guess its more a preference but anyone see a up or down side to keeping the hubs on a stander frame till they get beat to all hell? Solid axle I hear is stiffer but I honestly doubt I can or would tell the difference or at least I haven't vs my QR hubs on other bikes.

Wheel set is currently 36h. I think I am leaning more to just use the wheel's till I beat the heck out of them and then just maybe upgrade the wheels to a nice set of 32h's when the extra cash comes around.

This is more of a what would you do question ;) Little things like this always have my mind going.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Threaded axles chew up aluminium dropouts. Back in the old days when I had the Cannondale I uses a solid axle so all 8mm of the dropouts supported the axle instead of the standard 5.5mm. If you have the money look for an axle or bolts without threads at the dropouts.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A new wheelset will likely be more economical than new hubs.
Yeah even for deore level hubs its still $60 then I have to hope the old spokes are useable and then I have to build them so I might as well just save for new wheels vs the money and time.

I wish I could find just a QR conversion hit for my hubs but I cant find anything on them . For now they will just have to do!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.