Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
LMays said:
Just bought a new Vanilla 130 RLC.

My question is, if I should ride it for a few month, or get the thing PUSHed right out of the box.
IMO I would wait a little bit, I have a 05 vanilla that I wanna push but the 05 is soooo smooth that I am gonna hold off for bit as well - ride for a little while break it in & get it dialed in so you can get a good feel for the fork - then decide if it was the rear shock the appropriate question would be " To PUSH..when? "

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
2 Schools of thoughts

There are two ways to look at this, IMO. Scenario 1-Custom fork. Since PUSHing the fork will give you a fork that is tumed to your weight and riding style, there is good reason to recommend having the service done immediately. Scenario 2-rebuild. You also have a fully functional fork right now and will be tossing away internals that could serve you well until time for a rebuild. Which scenario do you see yourself in?

To me it comes down to $$$. If you have the money to do it, and can live with the fact that you're tossing out competent internals, then by all means do it. The parts that PUSH uses in a rebuild/customization are superior to those they replace, and, as mentioned before, you have a custom tuned product in the end. If money is an object, then wait. Use the fork as it is, and when it's time for a rebuild, there's no question about it....send it to PUSH.

FWIW, when I purchased my Vanilla R (rear shock) I had it PUSH'd immediately. It was almost brand new, but it only cost me $50.00, so even with cost of the PUSH mods, I was still paying the same price as a new Vanilla.

Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Not dead yet, just playin
910 Posts
Warranty work

LMays said:
Thanks for the input, I think I will take the advise of the wait game. Was not sure if PUSH changed any of the internals or just modified the guts.
Make note that Fox will tell you that PUSHing the fork voids the warranty. This means that if something bad happens (like the stanchions start creaking in the crown), they will not help you if its been PUSHed. Personally, I don't see how modifying the dampener would cause failure in the stanchion/crown interface, but I'm sure Fox disagrees.

If anyone is considering buying a fork or shock and immediately having it sent to PUSH, I would highly recommend buying directly from PUSH. PUSH warranties all the products they sell. If you end up having a hardware problem, they will certainly take care of you.

I would ride the fork till its one minute out of warranty and then immediately send it to PUSH....or, ebay the fork for close to what you spent and get a pre-pushed fork direct from the guys themselves.

op

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ohpossum said:
Make note that Fox will tell you that PUSHing the fork voids the warranty. This means that if something bad happens (like the stanchions start creaking in the crown), they will not help you if its been PUSHed. Personally, I don't see how modifying the dampener would cause failure in the stanchion/crown interface, but I'm sure Fox disagrees.

If anyone is considering buying a fork or shock and immediately having it sent to PUSH, I would highly recommend buying directly from PUSH. PUSH warranties all the products they sell. If you end up having a hardware problem, they will certainly take care of you.

I would ride the fork till its one minute out of warranty and then immediately send it to PUSH....or, ebay the fork for close to what you spent and get a pre-pushed fork direct from the guys themselves.

op
Curious as to the lenght of the warranty? The wife already put the HOHOHO paper over the box and now it sits under the tree! BWAAA.

·
Not dead yet, just playin
910 Posts
LMays said:
Curious as to the lenght of the warranty? The wife already put the HOHOHO paper over the box and now it sits under the tree! BWAAA.
Both PUSH and Fox offer 1 year warranties on their products. Since the PUSH treatment voids the Fox warranty, PUSH deals with all warranty claims in-house.

It comes down to this: It makes no sense anymore to buy a fork or shock and send it off to PUSH right away (unless you have no desire to make a warranty claim). By it directly from PUSH and rest easy knowing that they'll take care of any problems.

or...

Ride the crap out of the fork you have for a year, then send it in for treatment right after that.

op

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.