Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a Titus El Guapo, which is originally optimized for a 170mm travel fork. But I fitted the frame with a 180mm Fox RC2 (bought at an irresistible price) and a Cane Creek series 40 headset with a lower 10mm external cup, making the head angle even slacker.

On the upside, this reduces pedal strike due to the EG's low BB. However, I'm wondering if lowering the fork by 10mm would make climbing significantly easier. For the record, my bike, in its current configuration, can climb reasonably well at the moment.

Opinions please?

Phil

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I had a v2 EG and I could tell a difference when lowering my u-turn Lyrik 10mm but for climbing, moving my saddle forward a bit made a much bigger difference. Lowering the stem by a spacer, assuming you have any, can also make a difference.

I know that the v3 Guapos had some QC issues with regard to geometry and ultra low BB. What is your BB height now? If you can easily lower the fork it may be worth a shot but some people can't feel the difference of such subtleties. Unless you absolutely rip it up on your average ride, ie. bottom the fork rugularly, you could try running an extra 10mm of sag just to ceck it out.

·
Registered
943 Posts
i say give it a try at 160 and 170. it is definitely worth a shot and is easy enough to do.

moving spacers and the saddle around will change your body position but not the way the bike handles as much. lowering the fork will change it to handle closer to the original design.

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
My buddy rides his with a 180 and it works for him. I will have a Zoke 66 on mine @170mm and am not worried at all. I wouldn't let it bother you too much. If you can, lower your stem down so its sits just above your headset. It will help get more weight over the front end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.