Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Calm like a Bomb
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a pretty good thread going over @ RM and wanted to see what the MTBR guys thought on this subject. I currently ride a bottlerocket for mostly trail where I live in florida but will be traveling to oregon/seattle next month and will be making trips to colorado as well this year.

My Setup:
I have my BR setup fairly light (guessing 37lbs) with the wheelset being syncros ds28 rims (28mm) with hope pro 2's. I am running 2.5 michelin tires on there as well. Right now I have lightweight tubes in there which are ok for here, but will have to be swapped out when I travel to a heavier tube. So I have a stans notube kit and am debating to put it in.

I don't run super low air pressure here but will prolly runner lower when I travel so air pressure is not a hugh benefit.

So what would you do, install or not

· Calm like a Bomb
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if something goes wrong with the tubeless I can just yank the rim strip out and put a regular tube in? WHat do you guys do who travel and need to fill the tire back up...I heard its a pain with an air pump

· Death By Snoo Snoo
322 Posts
i have had great luck with minions 2ply and stans. My stans dried out in my front and still held and only had slow leak. I travel with a spare tube and CO2 cartridged pump, i haven't had to try to fill up a tubeless tire with a hand pump but i would imagine it would suck. when you are just putting it on for the first time and if you don't have an air compressor go to the gas station that has those air compressors or get a CO2 charged pump, the high pressure will help with seating the tire and getting the stans everywhere.

· Bike Hustler
820 Posts
Tubeless is definitly the only way I'll go from now on.

The weight savings and flat stopping is nice but for me the real bonus that makes the potential headaches in initial setup all worth it is the Traction.

It's all about the ride feel you get from being able to run higher pressures to roll faster but still get the same traction as if you had a tubed tire at way low pressures... the tire deforms the same way or better. Less rotational mass also makes the bike feel way more flickable in the air and never brick-like.

· Registered
3,163 Posts
I have also thought about going tubeless but then I remember an encounter I had on the trail. I came upon this guy with a flat. The only thing he had to inflate the tire was a CO2 pump. He had a bad enough tear in the tread so that his sealant wasn't working. So his CO2 pump ran out of air. He had no spare tubes either and no hand pump. His rim only took presta and I only had schrader tubes at the time. He was SOL and had to walk his bike a long way back to the trailhead.

So if you want to go tubeless and be prepared, I recommend having at least 1 spare tube and a hand pump as a emergency, After all that I haven't felt like I needed tubeless.

· Glad to Be Alive
42,881 Posts
munkyspank said:
i have had great luck with minions 2ply and stans. My stans dried out in my front and still held and only had slow leak. I travel with a spare tube and CO2 cartridged pump, i haven't had to try to fill up a tubeless tire with a hand pump but i would imagine it would suck. when you are just putting it on for the first time and if you don't have an air compressor go to the gas station that has those air compressors or get a CO2 charged pump, the high pressure will help with seating the tire and getting the stans everywhere.
replace satans every 3 months....should ber using 2 scoops for dh tires

· Bike Hustler
820 Posts
wormvine said:
So if you want to go tubeless and be prepared, I recommend having at least 1 spare tube and a hand pump as a emergency, After all that I haven't felt like I needed tubeless.
...since thats pretty much all you can do no matter what to be prepared, I'll take the benefits of UST until I have to cross that bridge. Which by the way is almost 3 seasons and only one flat that would'nt seal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.