Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing all the spring maintenence on my current bike (an AMP B-3 from 1996) to get it ready for another season of riding, I discovered I will need to spend more money on it than I intended. The rear hub is shot from a bad bearing that was in there, and I need a new rear shock. All in all, I figure I will need to spend about $400 to get it ready.

While I can live with that, I have been wanting to upgrade to a more modern frame for a few years. And while browsing craigslist, I came across an 03 Wolf Ridge that is basically stock for $800. I am seriously considering just buying it and leaving my old bike as a classic, but great commuter.

My only problem is I know almost nothing about Marins. Are they reliable? I don't really like the idea of buying a used bike if I don't know exactly what it has been through. As long as the frame is stress/crack free I figure it shouldn't be much of a problem. Plus, I have been jonesing for disk brakes for a while, but my current frame won't accept them.

While I know you guys will be a bit biased (it is the marin forum afterall), I just wanted to know if this deal is as good as it looks.

Edit: Also, what is the suspension like on them? I have never been very happy with single pivot designs I have ridden in the past, but they were on lower end bikes that I just may not have liked the feel of. I am currently used to 3" travel, so getting twice that will probably take some getting used to, although it is adjustable so I could tinker with it to find a setup I like.

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
Sorry to hear about the hub and the rest of the bike fatality:mad: but cheers :thumbsup: to upgrading:D
I'll throw in my two cent, and shed some light on marin bikes. I have a Marin Rock Springs (which has the same frame as the Wolf Ridge, Alpine Trail, and Attack Trail). Marin are awesome bikes, they aren't a huge name, so they go under the radar and so the price are rather incredable for how spectacular they perform.
Also Marin's pivots have a life time warrenty. They are quite popular across the pond in the UK, where the weather is hard on bikes and pivots and moving parts.
I personally would stay away from a used one, at least at that price, and especial since it's an 03. 2003 and before were single pivots (they were good single pivots), but 04 and after received the new pivot design called the Quad Link (which is a VPP, virtual pivot point similar to what Santa Cruz design offers) which perform awesome. It pedals great, and has a nice intial plushness and ramps up nicely to fight bottoming.
I just bought my 04 Rock Spring brand new for $899 plus $60 from bikeconnection.net. They also sale The Alpine Trail Model which is the low end model of the frame (it goes Alpine, Rock, Wolf, then Attack). It sales for $699! Bike connections were great to work with for me. Check them out, one of those bikes is what I would get with my hard earned cash.
Here are the links

'04 Marin Alpine Trail
http://bikeconnection.net/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=440

'04 Marin Rock Springs
http://bikeconnection.net/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=441

Marin's Run big, there small equals most companies medium, and there medium equal large, etc..

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Just got one myself

I got one of the marins for $699. Just stripped it down and built it back up with my own parts and changed out the shock. Bikeconnection has the next level up bike for $899 with a fox float R and better brakes if you're going to keep the bike as is. Nice frame set!

REEK

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
Mesquitoman
I just post on your thread in the What bike to buy forum. I'm biased, but the marin Rocks! It climbs like a billy goat during the rut chasing tail up the mountain, and will hold it's own on the descent.
I've never rode a Jamis but have heard good things about them. Here's a sweet deal on the Dakar sport, at Bicycle blowout
http://www.bicycleblowout.com/Bikes/JamisDakarSpt.htm

My vote goes to the Marin.
Bunk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I will not be buying the used wolf ridge, mainly because I won't be able to check it out. My car was stolen and I don't have any way to get to the seller (about 100 miles away)

I am still going to purchase a new bike however, but I am really leaning towards a Jamis frame and building it up myself, plus they are dirt cheap at Jenson right now. I just have to decide between the Dakar Sport or the XLT. I like the idea of being able to pick each component myself, and I should be able to transfer many parts from my old bike. But I haven't ruled out Marin as of yet. If I can find a decent price on one of their frames, I may end up with one, but the 6" of travel seems a bit excessive for most of the riding I do.

Deadwight, I'll borrow a friends digital camera and post some pics of my bike in the classic forum in a couple of days. Hell, I still think the frame kicks ass to this day, but the front triangle was made buy a custom framebuilder, so it isn't a true AMP B3, but I also don't have to worry about the weak headtube that the original AMPs were known for.

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
mosquitoman said:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

But I haven't ruled out Marin as of yet. If I can find a decent price on one of their frames, I may end up with one, but the 6" of travel seems a bit excessive for most of the riding I do.

Two weeks ago this ebay seller (who I think is Bike Connection in Palo Alto CA that is selling the Rock Springs, since his user name is pabikeconnection) had buy it know of $250 and starting bids of $200 on a couple of marin frames. The two frames I watched both went for $200. You might try contacting them and ask if they have any more frames that they are going to sale for that price.
Heres the link
http://myworld.ebay.com/pabikeconnection

Also bobs bicycles (they have a link in the hot deals section on this site) has some decent deals on marin frames. He also has an ebay site called Better Bikes, and you can submit a best offer for them. The buy it know price is $549, but my brother bought two Marin Attack Trail frame from him with Fox Rp3 shocks and paid $400 a piece plus $50 shipping. Heres the Link
http://myworld.ebay.com/betterbikes

·
Graphic Violence
65 Posts
mosquitoman said:
Deadwight, I'll borrow a friends digital camera and post some pics of my bike in the classic forum in a couple of days. Hell, I still think the frame kicks ass to this day, but the front triangle was made buy a custom framebuilder, so it isn't a true AMP B3, but I also don't have to worry about the weak headtube that the original AMPs were known for.
I remember when I first saw the AMP I wantd one really bad. That was a great looking bike!

Hope you find the bike you are looking for, took me awhile could not pass up the Marin deal.

·
Graphic Violence
65 Posts
farmboybunk said:
Also bobs bicycles (they have a link in the hot deals section on this site) has some decent deals on marin frames. He also has an ebay site called Better Bikes, and you can submit a best offer for them. The buy it know price is $549, but my brother bought two Marin Attack Trail frame from him with Fox Rp3 shocks and paid $400 a piece plus $50 shipping. Heres the Link
http://myworld.ebay.com/betterbikes
Thats where I got my Frame Good old BoB did me up!

·
Registered
10 Posts
i was also looking into buying a wolfridge 07..I am in a pickle between that and the Giant reign 1 07..Like them both and they both are around the same price.. Anyone have any pro's or cons on either bike.. and does anyone know how much the wolfridge 07 weighs

Thanks

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
EATnDlRT said:
i was also looking into buying a wolfridge 07..I am in a pickle between that and the Giant reign 1 07..Like them both and they both are around the same price.. Anyone have any pro's or cons on either bike.. and does anyone know how much the wolfridge 07 weighs

Thanks
Sounds like you have some good bikes to choose from. Before I decided to buy my Rock Springs (had the same frame as the Wolf Ridge, but Marin Just Changed the Geometry this year and got rid of TARA, travel adjust system), I was looking at the Reign, and also the Hollow Point mkIII, but never got to test ride the Reign or HollowPoint. My brother has a Wolf Ridge, and I really liked the ride so went with it, haven't regreted it, awesome bike!

The reign should a little more burly of a bike, then the marin. I haven't rode the reign, or for that matter the new marin frame with the new geometry, but from what I know from the old style frame of the marin and what has been said about the reign, both can climb technical accents, but the reign is a bit more sluggish.
In the end it still comes down to what bike feels the best (fit feel, geometry). So if you can take a test ride, even if it is in a parking lot do it and go with your gut feel. If you lean more toward Free Ridering, then I think the reign's better, but if you are more of a Trail Rider, then the Marin is hard to beat.
Tough Call.
I don't know the exact weight of the new Marin, but my Rock Springs weighed 30 lbs stock. My brother's wolf ridge that he custome built with high end components (but strong) and fat tires weighs 28 lbs.

Buena Suerte
Bunk

·
Registered
385 Posts
mosquitoman- where do you live? what kind of terrain do you ride?

In my opinion the quad tara bikes are a little bit too slack for normal XC riding (I look for 70-71 deg head angle), but spot on for more "all mountiain" type trail riding (68-69deg).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in Orange county Ca....I own a xc bike a Trek Fuel 90 and this works great. But the more i have been riding the more aggresive i have been getting, And was looking into something with more suspension and that can take some drops and jumps but still make that climb out...thanks for the help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.