Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm redoing my Morewood for the upcomming season and I definetly need new pedals, the screw holes in my Odysseys are stripped out. So I'm at a crossroads, I could run some Mallets or oldschool DX clipless. That or I could just buy new platforms, because I am a fan of my 510s. I was thinking something along the lines of Funn Soljams or something. Please don't recomend 5050s. Thanks.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I wasn't a big fan of the 50/50s.

Are you planning on racing a lot? If you are, and you're confident in your ability, definitely go for the clipless. The Mallets are terrific.

If you're unsure, I say stick with the platforms. Lots of good options out there. Burgtech, Atomlab, etc. etc. If you want something cheap, my Kona Jackshit Primos have held up remarkably well. Do a search, there are several threads discussing pedals.

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
How confident are you in cornering? Can you get a drift going without needing to put your foot down? Can you cuttie/skid in a full 180 or switchback without dabbing? How much do you tend to pull the back end up over rocks and obstacles instead of just running into them? In any straightaway you won't notice too much of a difference unless it gets really steep with a bunch of midsize hits that can throw you off the line in which case your feet don't slip.

As far as what clip-ins to get, get the older DX's or the Time's. Whatever you do, stay away from Mallets. I once heard "people who get them for free generally like them" and I think there's really some truth to that. The only people I've heard of who were hyping them were racers who got them for free and went through them like crazy.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
If your gonna ride clipless I recommend the 646DX's & single release cleats. I run the tension as loose as I can w/o coming unclipped. That way you pop out easy for dabbing, drifting & the occasional rock garden bail & still be able to "spin" up climbs & flat areas & pull the bike up ove stuff just by hopping. Multi-release come loose at the worst possible times, no matter the tension.

They don't make the 646's anymore, closest thing w/a solid cage is the 545's, they say the 647's are good because they give when you smack the resin cages into rocks. Just seems to me they would give if you aren't clipped in as well, not giving you a good platform to stand on.

·
Ricky DH
2,249 Posts
Once you gett used to the clipless, you'll never go back to platforms. I can get out of them just as fast as if I were on platforms. Plus you have a lot more control on the choppy down hill sections and in the air, at least I do.

I use the Shimano DX 646's that they quit making about 2 years ago. LOVE them!! You can still find them new at a few online stores, or lightly used on Ebay or here.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
If you ride clipless stay with them. I just switched to clipless on my XC bike and have been usung them on friends Fr bikes. I dont think going to flats is a good idea. your feet slip and slide. I dont like the feeling. And with clipless you get to wear the fancy shoes :) just kidding

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.