Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what the custom and practice of most riders is when it comes to cleaning their bikes. I'm fastidious when it comes to keeping the drive train, shock, and fork stanchions clean, and I'll wipe down my rims and frame with a dry rag after just about every ride, but I rarely wash my bike. What does everyone else do, and why?

·
GONE
25,580 Posts
That sounds exactly like what I do after every ride. I will wet my bike down and gently brush it clean with gentle cleaning products once or twice a year, too. I avoid riding through water and it's dry where I live so the main enemy here is dust.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
I keep the suspension and dropper post clean but only wash my bike when it looks pretty dirty. I always clean my chain off the bike but my wash routine came from MBA. I hose the bike and squirt some dish soap on a large wet bike brush. I scrub the bike and then use some smaller brushes where needed. Wipe it off a bit and put my clean chain back on. It takes about 10 min plus extra to do my chain.

·
Registered
975 Posts
After every ride I clean the drivetrain and knock the loose dirt off with a brush, but only use water to give the bike a good wash once a year when ill be disassembling and re-greasing/packing bearings, so water intrusion isnt an issue.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Wash once or twice a year. Drivetrain and forks get checked and lubed very frequently. Bearings and such and cables get lubed once a year or less.

·
Registered
14,061 Posts
I wipe the bike when it dries. No water. Many times wipe the chain and drive and oil the chain with Stihl bar oil.
Rear star ratchets get Campy white lube when they start to be heard. I pop the covers and seals off the bb bearings and clean and grease them a couple times a season.

·
Redcoat
1,005 Posts
clean my bike or at least wipe down after every ride simply cause i like to. will always clean cassette and chain and re-lube especially.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I don't do anything but lube the chain a couple of times a month and then maybe wash the entire bike a few times a year. Dirt falls off eventually. When I changed the fork oil in my fork I put Enduro seals on there and years later they still don't leak even though I never wipe down the stanchions.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I wash my bike fairly frequently. I like a clean rig.

I lube after bike has dried for a spell

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
I was my bike every 3-5 rides depending on how dirty it is. I mainly wait until it get squeaky to the point I can't take it and then give her a bath. I've been told the grit and grime wear down parts faster so I don't want to let it go too long without washing and lubing important parts.

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
Drive train wiped and lubed before every ride. Bike washed bout once a month unless it was a muddy ride (bike lives in the house).

Wash routine = Drizzle water over bike. Scrub with brush and a bucket of water/simple green to clean. Drizzle water over bike to rinse.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I'm wondering what the custom and practice of most riders is when it comes to cleaning their bikes. I'm fastidious when it comes to keeping the drive train, shock, and fork stanchions clean, and I'll wipe down my rims and frame with a dry rag after just about every ride, but I rarely wash my bike. What does everyone else do, and why?
A good wash is a great time to inspect the bike for cracks....sticky brake pistons...cahin wear.....all sorts of stuff.

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
Drive train wiped and lubed before every ride. Bike washed bout once a month unless it was a muddy ride (bike lives in the house).

Wash routine = Drizzle water over bike. Scrub with brush and a bucket of water/simple green to clean. Drizzle water over bike to rinse.
Pretty much my exact routine except I use Dawn dishsoap.

G

·
I wipe off the chain and lube it every morning, wipe the fork stanctions with triflow and check tire pressure. Once a week (or after a wet ride) I spray the ders with silicone, lube the der cables (especially the last section of the rear der cable) and clean the rotors with alcohol. Wash everything with Mr. Clean and water every month or so. Usually pull the cassette and right crank arm and decrud with electromotive cleaner or brake cleaner.

·
Trailhead Poseur
506 Posts
I'm pretty fastidious about keeping the moving parts clean. Fork stanchions get a wipedown with a shop rag after every ride, drivetrain gets cleaned and lubed after every wet ride, or maybe every 2-3 rides if it's been dry. Other parts (brakes, derailleurs, etc...) are inspected after every ride and cleaned as needed.

Other than that, everything else gets cleaned when I get tired of sweeping up the trail of dust the bike leaves all over the garage. Even then I'll usually just let the dirt dry and knock it off with a brush. Sometimes I'll rinse it with the garden hose. It never gets scrubbed with soap and water unless I'm planning some maintenance, then I'll clean up the part I'll be working on.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I wash it once in a while (a couple times a year maybe), lube the chain when I remember, and get a 'full' shop tune up once a year, more or less. That about does it!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts