Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how some of y'all feel about some models only coming in carbon frames. I have notices that on a couple of bikes. I just wonder why some are only offered in carbon. That pushes the price up and for some it puts it out of reach for them. I could maybe understand if it was on some great ounce counting race bike but for an all around trail bike...meh. One case is the Canyon Lux. Supposed to be an all round trail type bike but when I was looking at it, it only comes in carbon. I personally don't really want a carbon fiber bike. Just curious on your thoughts about this. Maybe i'm missing something.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,323 Posts
so don't buy a carbon bike....

carbon rides super sweet. steel does, titanium does, aluminum does, scandium does...

My hardtail is carbon, carbon wheels
my road bike is carbon, aluminum wheels
my 6 inch AM bike is aluminum, carbon wheels
my fat bike for frozen adventures is aluminum, aluminum wheels

all frame types and wheels by specific choice, for specific reasons.

carbon rocks as a frame material but like anything, must be designed and assembled/laid up properly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My Divinci FS is carbon, but I bought it used. Yup, like others...I have steel bikes, carbon bikes, Al bikes and all of them are fun to ride. If I was buying new, I probably wouldn't shell out for a carbon mtb frame.

Carbon wheels seem silly to me, but mainly because I'd rather spend my money on other things AND my wheels aren't what is holding me back on the bike, no matter if I'm mtb, road, or cross riding. Not knocking folks who ride them, they're just not for me, at this point.

Seems like carbon frames are just fine no matter what application at this point.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Aluminum bikes are getting better and the manufacturers are learning how to get the ride dialed. The specialized chisel is an example of an aluminum bike with an amazing ride. The other thing I like about it is that I've got little chips in it from the handlebar swinging into the top tube and various rock strikes and I don't sweat it. With a carbon bike, I'd be wondering if the structural integrity is compromised.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The other thing I like about it is that I've got little chips in it from the handlebar swinging into the top tube and various rock strikes and I don't sweat it. With a carbon bike, I'd be wondering if the structural integrity is compromised.
Carbon fiber isn't nearly as fragile as many people seem to think. Nicks and dings aren't an issue unless they are deep enough to start compromising the integrity of the fibers in the composite matrix. My 20+ year old OCLV frame is beat up pretty good, including missing a lot of paint where the handlebar has bashed into the top tube multiple times, among other places. It still rides like it did when it was new.

I don't remember which company it is, but one MTB manufacturer did side-by-side failure testing in multiple directions of its aluminum and carbon frames. The CF frame reached much higher numbers before failure on every test. It was a pretty cool video.

EDIT: See post 17.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've been on carbon a while now, I don't remember having a super wow moment going to carbon, but remember thinking it rode really nice. I just did an impromptu stop at a ski resort and rented an aluminum bike to shuttle. Holy smokes, I couldn't believe how hard it was to track. I don't remember it being that bad with my older aluminum bikes but I'm guessing I was used to it. The amount of lateral flex was downright scary the harder I rode. I'm not very heavy either, 6'1 175lbs. There's no way I'd go back to aluminum now.

·
orthonormal
5,144 Posts
I don't remember which company it is, but one MTB manufacturer did side-by-side failure testing in multiple directions of it's aluminum and carbon frames. The CF frame reached much higher numbers before failure on every test. It was a pretty cool video.
That was Santa Cruz

·
Registered
772 Posts
Bike park rentals are probably not indicative of a good aluminum frame. Or really, the rest of the components on it.
I think it was knolly or Norco, can't remember. Seemed like a decent build. Fox fork was definitely in need of service unless he overinflated it, chain definitely needed lube. It was august so most likely had 3 really hard months on it. But I couldn't wait to get back on my own bike that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Now that

1) There are 1x12 drive trains
2) The geometry code has pretty much been cracked at this point
3) Pricing has become absolutely stupid

It seems like the real impactful innovations are sorted and new innovation will be taking a very long nap now, meaning you can take a current production bike, probably ride it forever and not feel like you're missing out.

Because of that, for me in order of preference - titanium, steel, aluminum, carbon. Why? Of course carbon is awesome and it's gotten tough as hell, especially in the case of stuff like Guerilla Gravity. Everything can fail. It's the way in which carbon fails that bothers me. Catastrophic failure and no apparent indicators before hand. Everything else at least provides warnings if you do inspections. I'm coming up on 50, catastrophic failure no matter how unlikely is not how I want to end a ride these days, and I don't want to have to worry about it either. My order is just my preference.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Just wondering how some of y'all feel about some models only coming in carbon frames. I have notices that on a couple of bikes. I just wonder why some are only offered in carbon. That pushes the price up and for some it puts it out of reach for them. I could maybe understand if it was on some great ounce counting race bike but for an all around trail bike...meh. One case is the Canyon Lux. Supposed to be an all round trail type bike but when I was looking at it, it only comes in carbon. I personally don't really want a carbon fiber bike. Just curious on your thoughts about this. Maybe i'm missing something.
My last two bikes were available in either carbon or aluminum. Both times I chose carbon. I had the money so I spent the bucks. They weighed a bit less then the aluminum which meant something to me. Sounds like you justified already why you don't need carbon. I doubt you could tell the difference unless the components offered on frames were different and even that really doesn't matter much.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.