Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

To Big ring or not.

1K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  Speedub.Nate 
I would be content with a disc nexus or the sram version and a double chainring config up front or a single and a couple in the back, or 3 even.

_MK

Big ring has 3 uses. Around town/to trailhead, Downhill racing (big ring only, BIG ring), cross country racing (I'm sure you've seen the almost paved trails they race on ;)). I recently said au revoir to my big ring and replaced it with a Race Face bash guard. One thing you might want to consider is getting a 2 or 4 tooth larger middle ring. That should cover just about every riding situation you will find yourself in as well as result in decreased overlap between gear combos. My near 30lb 5Spot rarely runs out of gears and I have 32/12 max ratio. I most likely will get a 34T chainring, since that's the max the bash covers.

One other thing you ought to keep in mind is that the XT and XTR X type cranks (I am assuming that's what you have) are known to have very weak teeth due to the fact that sh!mano had to save weight somewhere, so a bash will keep your investment sound longer.

_MK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.