Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Huh?
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm out riding the other day and come across a sizable boulder in the middle of the trail. Long story short My nice new Xt crankset just got three and half teeth knocked out. For some strange reason all the years with my old LX crankset I never bent or broke any teeth. Anyways I'm curious as to the opinion of the Homer Board For the 90% trail riding I do the big ring is useless. Do I take it off and install a bash ring or just leave the big ring missing teeth and use that. Do you find that a bash ring helps to roll over logs better?? I've heard some people say that the teeth grab the logs and can impede you.

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
I Miss My Dinner Plate!

When I lived in Cali I used my big ring all the time... Now that I live in AZ there are too many big rocks to ride over and it just makes better sense to run a bashguard... If you decide to keep your current setup, don't worry about a few missing teeth. It should still work fine. I had completely ground off a few teeth in two separate locations (opposite of each other when my feet were in the 3 o'clock/9 o'clock positions) on my big ring and it still shifted quite nicely.

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
aixelsyd said:
So I'm out riding the other day and come across a sizable boulder in the middle of the trail. Long story short My nice new Xt crankset just got three and half teeth knocked out. For some strange reason all the years with my old LX crankset I never bent or broke any teeth. Anyways I'm curious as to the opinion of the Homer Board For the 90% trail riding I do the big ring is useless. Do I take it off and install a bash ring or just leave the big ring missing teeth and use that. Do you find that a bash ring helps to roll over logs better?? I've heard some people say that the teeth grab the logs and can impede you.
You can do 1 of 3 things...

1. Leave the big ring on and totaly destroy an expensive part.

2. Replace it with a bash ring and when you need the big ring you can put it back on.

3. Install a bash guard. You leave the big ring on but you also have a bash ring to protect it, I believe that Salsa makes one and they are about $35.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Ditch the big ring.

aixelsyd,

I like the big ring a lot because I find the gear ratios too far apart in the middle ring on moderate terrain: spinning too fast one minute, too slow the next. In the big ring one gear change up or down usually does the trick, but in the middle it sometimes takes 2 or 3. However, like you I've smashed teeth off of new XT big rings (twice) and had to file them smooth again.

That got me thinking about a bash guard. Thanks to the Turner forum I changed my mind about three weeks ago. I ditched the big ring for an aluminum bash guard and I don't regret it. Yeah, I miss the big ring. But the upside is no more damaged big rings; you'll have more fun trying to clear big step-ups, logs, and rocks that you may have avoided before; when you roll a steep drop with a sharp lip you'll have more confidence because you WILL clear it. The best reason for going with a bash guard is it simply suits the overall capabilities of the bike.

Search this forum for bash rings or guards and you'll find pictures of other people's setups and descriptions of their experiences.

Clyde

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
if your not missing the pedaling ratios that the big ring can get you - DITCH THE BIG RING!

benefits -
-higher clearance over rocks and trees...approach rock garden climbs with more clearance and ability to do it with confidence you aren't going to mess up your drivetrain
-slide over obstacles with smoothness (esp. the e13 guard), not teeth
-ability to use the bash-guard to actually bash into things if you need to without worry
-no more puncturing your leg on the big ring teeth, resulting in a 3 month staph infection and silver dollar sized scar :rolleyes:

drawbacks -
-not able to spin super large gears on the way to the trailhead :rolleyes: boo-fvcking-hoo

it's a mountain bike! mountainize it!

e13 my pick.....heavier, but slipperier and not clangy like metal.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Big ring has 3 uses. Around town/to trailhead, Downhill racing (big ring only, BIG ring), cross country racing (I'm sure you've seen the almost paved trails they race on ;)). I recently said au revoir to my big ring and replaced it with a Race Face bash guard. One thing you might want to consider is getting a 2 or 4 tooth larger middle ring. That should cover just about every riding situation you will find yourself in as well as result in decreased overlap between gear combos. My near 30lb 5Spot rarely runs out of gears and I have 32/12 max ratio. I most likely will get a 34T chainring, since that's the max the bash covers.

One other thing you ought to keep in mind is that the XT and XTR X type cranks (I am assuming that's what you have) are known to have very weak teeth due to the fact that sh!mano had to save weight somewhere, so a bash will keep your investment sound longer.

_MK

·
outclassed by his bike
365 Posts
e13 sizing info

If you go with the e13 supercharger like several of us have, don't get all derailed - like I did - by trying to order the small one that covers a 32t (middle) ring. It's on their website, and it's represented by a checkbox on the package itself - sort of like the checkboxes on a pizza carton that say whether what's inside is pepperoni or mushroom. However, they don't actually make it and you will have to settle for the next size up that covers up to a 36t ring.

-q

·
Huh?
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replys. Time for something new its been almost two weeks since I bought something for the bike. Wow my Superlight never inspired as much interest in the bike as much as my Spot has, (and even MORE in riding in general) Am I starting to sound like a...... D'oh

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
...and a bigger middle ring.

MK_ said:
I most likely will get a 34T chainring...

_MK
Thanks MK for mentioning this one. I was thinking of getting one myself to claw back a little taller gearing, but I forgot all about it. I must be enjoying the bash ring so much that I forgot about my missing tall gears.--Clyde

·
Registered
68 Posts
Since "90% trail riding I do the big ring is useless" ditch it and buy a race face bash ring. I bet you can still keep the same speed in the other 10% since you probably dont run the smallest cogs in you middle ring now. That has been my experience where I ride. More clearance, you can charge rocks and you dont have to keep buying big rings.

When I ride in faster and less tech. places than around my home it takes very little time to just put the big ring back on. For where I ride its one of the best changes I have made on my Spot.

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
aixelsyd said:
I ditched my big ring many many moons ago. I get crap sometimes on the ride home because I'm slow, but who cares? More clearance is worth it. I personally dig the Ethirteen bash guards. I've got one on my dirt jumper and I'll soon get one for the 5spot. I'm using a raceface one now....

·
Registered
612 Posts
34t middle + bashguard

As everyone has said, the extra clearance and resulting confidence that you get from the bashguard is very nice.

I run a bashguard and 34t middle ring with an 11-34 cassette in the back and I have plenty of top end if I spin smoothly. My test for this is a road ride up to the local ski resort I do when the trails are snowy/muddy. The average grade is about 6% the whole way and I can hit 32 mph on the way down without too much trouble in the 34 x 11 combo. I mention this because I expected to lose several mph compared to the big ring setup but the loss was minimal.

·
Registered
619 Posts
NO to 32T

I tried to run a 32 briefly on my RFX.. Way to slow for NE GA mtn biking. On long sustained downhills I ran out of gears. I'm using a E-13 DRS with the smaller bash guard that allows me to run a 36t Vuelta ring.

32t is just too small/slow for your biggest ring.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
NB to the big ring removal and replacement with bash guard - echoing what Dave in Driggs and t66 said...

yes indeed, it makes sense if you don't use it often. I have 3 gearies and 2 of them have DRS chainguides, which means no big ring.

Unless the bike is unnaturally heavy, I usually bounce my middle ring up to 34t when I switch to a 2-chainring setup. this helps avoid the "pedal out" that resembles trying to haul arse on a singlespeed geared for steep climbs.

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,120 Posts
Economical option

I caught myself digging into lots of downed logs with my big ring (46T) on some of our singletrack rides, and decided to go for the extra ground clearance. I really didn't need a super thick one for heavy duty bash protection, or one that's "clawed" for gripping over obstacles. All I wanted was something reasonably protective of my middle ring while remaining fairly light.

I found just the ticket in some 42T large chainrings that you can find fairly cheap because they aren't very popular. (Most people use a 44 or 46 if they use a big ring at all) I cut off the teeth, took it to my grinder, and wahlah, easily 3/4" extra ground clearance and just enough wider than my chain to protect. For the kind of riding I do lately I don't miss the big ring, and if I do find the need to swap it's cake.

Rando

Attachments

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Slightly OT

Slightly OT, but all the above talk makes me wonder when is Shimano going to buy the rights to the Rohloff 14-speed internally geared hub, and do what the Japanese engineers do best--take somebody else's idea and abso-freakin-lutlely perfect it?

Imagine running a 32 tooth single front ring and bash guard with the same gear range of any current triple, and without the extreme weight or drag of the Rohloff!

Not to mention the design freedom that would be granted to DT and other frame designers if they could quit worrying about mounting a front derailer.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
I would be content with a disc nexus or the sram version and a double chainring config up front or a single and a couple in the back, or 3 even.

_MK

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
I never used my big ring so I chucked it.
Another E13 lover here.

I took the DRS off for a while b/c I don't drop my chain on rough stuff, as my runs are either too slow or to short. The bike was much quiter with it so I may re-install it.

I'm very pleased with this ring. It takes hits like it's NBD. They "schootch" right off sharp grippy rocks so you don't catch the ring. I'm not sure I understand the need for toothed bash guards. Maybe I don't go over big enough stuff but I rely on my rear wheel and some body english to get me over.

The E-13 rings also give ever so slightly on impacts so they don't tend to show as much damage as the AL rings. I haven't found the need yet, but a couple of quick strokes with a hand file can eliminate the worst of impact damage, should it ever get that bad. I've ground over and bashed on all kinds of things, and it still looks pretty good.

There are some other threads discussing bash rings as well.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
What I run

aixelsyd said:
A number of the suggestions posted here will work for you, depends on you. I got tired of replacing 44t rings too so I finally dropped to a size that I use. The 44t just is too big for the majority of my riding, so I have a 38t Blackspire dh ring. It is about the same thickness of an xt, problem is there are almost no xc rings in that size with shift ramps. I do find going from the 32 middle to the 38 is a small enough jump that the shifting is fine, to fine tune it I put in thin chainring bolt spacers and work with the front derailleur to get as close to perfection as possible. It shifts great now and I dont really hit anything, I did run and still have my MRP basher that covers the 38, I run it in the summer when I will be around rocks all the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
aixelsyd said:
Thanks for the replys. Time for something new its been almost two weeks since I bought something for the bike. Wow my Superlight never inspired as much interest in the bike as much as my Spot has, (and even MORE in riding in general) Am I starting to sound like a...... D'oh
Don't throw out your big ring just yet. First off you can get a bash ring that works with the big ring, I think Charles at Hammerhead bikes had one, but you'd have to call him to see if he still carries it.

The reason Charles sold it is that his shop is in Austin, TX, where the riding is very technical and rough, but on those trails you can actually go faster over the technical stuff in the big ring. The same is true of AZ. Yeah, you won't be going up Mormon in it, but on the backside whoop-de-do, back down, Papago Park, White Ranch, etc... you can use the big ring. In fact, if you want to get faster, push a bigger ring, you'll be surprised at the technical stuff you can get over. Yeah, it's tough, but if you really want to cruise over a technical XC trail the big ring can really help in some cases, and running the big ring will really beef up your quads.

James

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.