Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

To Be or Not to Be....Clipless...

2K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  geoarchaeologist 
mtb_mud_honey said:
You shouldn't get arch fatigue with good supportive shoes
Yes. Shoes that do not bend much are a must really, whatever the pedal style. If I ride for more than 15 minutes in soft shoes, my feet start aching.

Do you have some background on a bike, like this is not your first year riding at all?

(oops, I am a guy in the women's area now)
Do I understand correctly that you keep falling off the pedals? You can find a good position for your foot when it is on the pedal?

I have been using bikes for transportation and exercise for ages and moving to clipless was not hard after a few months on a mountain bike. It made riding easier in some ways but I also ran into some mental blocks about crossing the more rocky sections of trail. That put me back on flat pedals for a couple of weeks.

Flat pedals are not all equal either. Some have pretty nasty spikes for traction (works well with skateboard style shoes). Sometimes those spikes can do nasty things to your shins if you fall off them in an unlucky way.

mtb_mud_honey said:
with flats, the pedal should sit centered under your foot; with clipless it will under the ball of your feet.
I do not agree. With flat pedals, the pedal should still be near the ball of the foot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.