Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Original Suspect
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to go 2x10 on this ride Camber.jpg with this set up Shimano XT M785 Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop.
My question is this: I think I wanna roll a 34/22 because I like the granny but it seem like the going ratio is 38/26 or 40/28. I know I could just drop my big ring, but why the big difference in gearing? This the norm for 2x??? I am running XT 11-36 cassette. The reason I am getting new cranks is because the one's I have are 170mm and I want 175mm.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I'm looking at the numbers and I won't dump my 22T ring. I'm currently riding a nine speed 11/34T cassette with 22/32 rings and am interested in getting a ten speed so I'll go for one of the new Shimano XT M782 22/30/40T ten speed cranks and may drop the big ring. This is for a 29" bike.

Shimano XT M782 10 Speed Triple Chainset | Chain Reaction Cycles

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
They do have a 24/38 in XT. Can't remember what 7 series # it is.

Edit: Found it. Look under the Q&A tab.
Shimano M785 XT 2X10 Crankset | Shimano | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

The comment about the 2x fr derailleur is for it not being able to adjust to drop down enough to work with the 22t ring and still rise up enough to clear the 38t. You "may" be able to get your 3x shifter and der limit screws to cover that range.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
I'm looking at the numbers and I won't dump my 22T ring. I'm currently riding a nine speed 11/34T cassette with 22/32 rings and am interested in getting a ten speed so I'll go for one of the new Shimano XT M782 22/30/40T ten speed cranks and may drop the big ring. This is for a 29" bike.

Shimano XT M782 10 Speed Triple Chainset | Chain Reaction Cycles
what he said...

get a 3x crank and just remove the outer ring...
  • first off it's cheaper ;)
  • 2nd, you already use and seem to like the gearing which is the same, just getting longer crank arms..
  • 3rd, 3x converted will make the derailleur work better, yes you can set it up to work with 2x cranks, but it's "channels" are made to deal with movement and rise/drop of the 3x rings. If you go above around 10-12 tooth change you should really get a 2x shifter and derailleur as the lift spots and such are different and you're 3x derailleur will have a difficult time lifting the chain up to the larger ring..

·
The Original Suspect
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Front dérailleurs are inexpensive and my xt front shifter can convert from 3x to 2x without getting a new one. Still wondering what people are running for gearing though. It doesn't seem like 2x specific cranksets come with 32/22 only 3x.

·
beater
5,932 Posts
I've been satisfied with 24/36 mated to a 11-36 cassette. This is on a Banshee Prime 29er with a burly build. No idea on actual weight, but I'm sure it's in the mid 30s. I live and ride in Montana.

I just replaced my chainrings, and while doing it I switched to a 34t big ring. That'll buy me a lot more time in the big ring, which is an advantage for me. I'm a masher.

·
The Original Suspect
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
24/36 sounds like something I'd give a try. I've run a 34 middle ring in the past. Where in MT are you? I have family in Missoula and Great Falls. I went to UofM myself.

Now that I look at your signature I see Helena. I spent some time there in the late 80's as well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am running 36/24 on my RaceFace Turbine cranks here in SoCal. I can climb the steep stuff with it, and I rarely spin out on the descents.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts