Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an email I sent to Intense Cycles yesterday:

There is a rumour to the effect that Intense is no longer producing the swingarm bolt for Tracers. It is the bolt that goes through right behind the bottom bracket. I have broken one of these in the past and would like to get an extra one or even two. Is this possible or is it true that these bolts are a thing of the past?


Please let me know.
Thanks,
TC Medlock


Here is the response from Intense:

We are still out of stock on the bolts that we manufactured. We do have some
different type of bolts that do work and currently selling them to dealers.
We are not sure how long or if we will be able to manufacture those bolts.
The machine that makes those bolts has been broken for a while and cannot be
repaired. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.
Regards Bobby Vore
Customer Service
Intense Cycles
(951)296-9596 EXT.22

Very scarey. I wonder where to find a bolt. Should $1600.00 frames owners have access to bolts? Wow!!! I really like my Tracer but it may be time to move on and soon.
 

·
Lopen is sneller....
Joined
·
529 Posts
tcm said:
Very scarey. I wonder where to find a bolt. Should $1600.00 frames owners have access to bolts? Wow!!! I really like my Tracer but it may be time to move on and soon.
Think there where some posts about having bolts made at a machine shop over at the Intense forum. So you might wanna post there as well…….

Lucky me………….I ordered some spare ones just after breaking my second one.

Good luck,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
I dont think the bolt is so exclusive

tcm said:
This is an email I sent to Intense Cycles yesterday:

There is a rumour to the effect that Intense is no longer producing the swingarm bolt for Tracers. It is the bolt that goes through right behind the bottom bracket. I have broken one of these in the past and would like to get an extra one or even two. Is this possible or is it true that these bolts are a thing of the past?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
TC Medlock

Here is the response from Intense:

We are still out of stock on the bolts that we manufactured. We do have some
different type of bolts that do work and currently selling them to dealers.
We are not sure how long or if we will be able to manufacture those bolts.
The machine that makes those bolts has been broken for a while and cannot be
repaired. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.
Regards Bobby Vore
Customer Service
Intense Cycles
(951)296-9596 EXT.22

Very scarey. I wonder where to find a bolt. Should $1600.00 frames owners have access to bolts? Wow!!! I really like my Tracer but it may be time to move on and soon.
that other than the drive the bolt cant be found at a good hardware or marine hardware store like west marine. you just need the lenght and thread pitch.
 

·
Mountain biking fanatic!
Joined
·
54 Posts
I've got 4 bolts on order...

...since early June. I'm used to enormous delays in getting parts for the Tracer, though.
They sited being backordered, but there was no mention of what was taking so long.

Last year I snapped 2 of them at the most unconvenient times - deep in the woods.

Does anyone know the strength rating on those bolts? I replaced the shock bolts with 12.8 strength bolt - problem solved there.

Will derailleur hangers for the Tracer suffer the same fate?

Thanks for posting the info from Intense - very good to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
it sounds like more than a backorder problem,,

Uncle_Mike said:
...since early June. I'm used to enormous delays in getting parts for the Tracer, though.
They sited being backordered, but there was no mention of what was taking so long.

Last year I snapped 2 of them at the most unconvenient times - deep in the woods.

Does anyone know the strength rating on those bolts? I replaced the shock bolts with 12.8 strength bolt - problem solved there.

Will derailleur hangers for the Tracer suffer the same fate?

Thanks for posting the info from Intense - very good to know.
when the machine that makes the bolts is busted and unfixable. Maybe theyll give you interest on the $$ theyve been sitting on...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
This is the same bolt for Uzzi SL too

I've broken 2 in the last year, and it does take months to get them. I had the specs from Intense, but seem to have misplaced them. I was planning on getting some made at a machine shop. I'll post them, if I find 'em.

The D hanger can be bought at Supergo.com for the low, low price of $25.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
just got two new bolts

Intense just sent four of these bolts to our local Intense dealer. I got two of them. They look a little different, but should work fine. I guess they are either still making them or found a source to get them made.
 

·
Mountain biking fanatic!
Joined
·
54 Posts
Too late with the bolts!

Sure enough it snapped!

On June 4th I ordered 4 back-up bolts as experience has taught me that eventually they will break and leave me in a situation. They have yet to arrive...

Today I flew back in from the East Coast after over a week of major mountain bike withdrawl. Climbed upon the Tracer and things were going great - it was just one of those days when it comes together.

A few miles into the woods - halfway up a technical climb - snap! There goes my last main pivot bolt - *&U^&*(^&%%^$%$!!! It was the first broken one this year.

Walked out of the woods (across an active golf course), and got home on the road.
The bike is now apart and I've replaced the bearings (which were in OK shape) but who knows when I'll be able to get it back together with a new bolt.

I'm fed up - and seriously going to take a look at some other bikes. Four years of dealing with these situations and supply issues for parts. The Canadian distribution couldn't seem to care less if an Intense owner is "stranded" as repeatedly proven. I've gone to him direct, gone through shops, and have only ever been able to resolve anything when finally dealing directly with Intense in California.

Tomorrow I'm calling Bobby at the factory and get this dealt with - yet again.

Can anyone comment on the durability/dependibility of the 5.5? Snapping any bolts? How about the 5-spot?

Off the shelf bikes don't seem like such a bad thing right now.

I just want to ride my bike.

Frustrated,

UM
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top