Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gurus,

Singlespeed newb here. Rode a few singlespeeds in the past and really liked the simplicity and low weight (yes, I'm a weight weenie). I'm close to pulling the trigger on a singlespeed frame, but am also considering the 29" tire option. What would your advice be for a first time singlespeed owner? I ride mainly XC and want a fast, light, and simple bike for fun and racing. I'm a big guy too, 6'3" 196 lbs. Thanks in advance for your guidance.

·
Registered
18,592 Posts
Dirt Pilot said:
Gurus,

Singlespeed newb here. Rode a few singlespeeds in the past and really liked the simplicity and low weight (yes, I'm a weight weenie). I'm close to pulling the trigger on a singlespeed frame, but am also considering the 29" tire option. What would your advice be for a first time singlespeed owner? I ride mainly XC and want a fast, light, and simple bike for fun and racing. I'm a big guy too, 6'3" 196 lbs. Thanks in advance for your guidance.
Check it out:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=18514

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
I went to 29er two months ago, and I'm not going back. I also added close to seven pounds on my bike, but the fun I get from the larger wheel size is worth it.

Logs that used to me give heartburn with the 26er only give me the burps now :D
(Pic by Static.)

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Question about your Monkey

Kind of a threadjack, but not really as I have the same issue as the OP.

I've heard that the BB height is low on the KM. Your log-hop pic forces me to ask the question, do you have trouble with the bb height? Either doing hops like the one in your pic, or with the pedals hitting low obstacles?

I'm aslo struggling with the decision to keep my Monocog 26 or move to a KM or similar 29er.

Thanks! :D

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Beckman4 said:
Kind of a threadjack, but not really as I have the same issue as the OP.

I've heard that the BB height is low on the KM. Your log-hop pic forces me to ask the question, do you have trouble with the bb height? Either doing hops like the one in your pic, or with the pedals hitting low obstacles?

I'm aslo struggling with the decision to keep my Monocog 26 or move to a KM or similar 29er.

Thanks! :D
I have noticed that I bang the pedals on obstacles a little more than on my 6ers. However, I've not measured the Monkey's BB height, and I don't remember the height of the 6ers. I got used to it and adjusted.

It's not a problem on loghops. To get over bigger logs, I get my front wheel up on the log first, then jump up and forward, lifting bike and body over in an arc while trying not to hit the chainring.

·
The man who fell to earth
335 Posts
Um..

...couldn't you have ridden around the log much easier on a 26?

What?

Drevil said:
I went to 29er two months ago, and I'm not going back. I also added close to seven pounds on my bike, but the fun I get from the larger wheel size is worth it. Logs that used to me give heartburn with the 26er only give me the burps now :D
(Pic by Static.)

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Ziggy-Stardust said:
...couldn't you have ridden around the log much easier on a 26?

What?
What you don't see is there is a 10' fire pit just outside of the frame. Much safer my way. ;)

Some people like riding on dirt. Some like hopping logs, rocks, and puppies. I'm one of them. Ain't nothing wrong if you don't.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can I go wrong with Salsa?

Dirt Pilot said:
Gurus,

After everything I've read and test ridden, I am really interested in the Salsa Juan Solo (26") and the Dos Niner (29"). Since this will be my first true singlespeed, I am thinking of going with the Juan Solo (already have the fork and some parts for it). While the Dos Niner looks awesome, I'm not ready/willing to drop $1,000 on my first singlespeed frame. Opinions?

·
29 inches and Pissed Off!
693 Posts
Dirt Pilot said:
After everything I've read and test ridden, I am really interested in the Salsa Juan Solo (26") and the Dos Niner (29"). Since this will be my first true singlespeed, I am thinking of going with the Juan Solo (already have the fork and some parts for it). While the Dos Niner looks awesome, I'm not ready/willing to drop $1,000 on my first singlespeed frame. Opinions?
There is a Dos Niner on Ebay. They say ridden 8 times.
Dan C.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
For the price of the Dos, you could get into a full custom from one of several builders. Walt Works, Curtlo, Teesdale, Spicer + many more. The differance being, you'd have to wait a bit. And the wait sucks, but once you get the frame and build it up....whoooboy! are you in heaven!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Also for the price of the Dos, you get a rolling Fisher Rig. Very light frame, I guess only marginally more than the Dos, but singlespeed rather than softtail. Do nore that the Dos is NOT a singlespeed frame, Slasa also goes gearies.
I won't say 29" is better for you (this time), but at least don't decide on wheelsize before you've gotten a serious testride in. The choice is there now, and so vital, it''s worth considering bfore picking a bike. On the 29" forums you could ask for a ride local to you, frame your size. Bring beer.
I agree with Martini, steel custom is really sweet (wish I had one). Same advice : don't invest in 26" custom before you've tested a proper 29"er. Diving into something new head first without testride seems more logical to me, that's the adventure. Not demo'ing something new before you buy something established, that's a chance of losing out.

My €0,02

J

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Don't do it.....

you show me a good looking 29er and I'll show you a bike that's been hit by the ugly stick and then fallen down the ugly tree hitting all the branches on the way down !

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.