Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
Someone has spent to much time with his net flicks. First it's Chuck Norris now it's Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. What's next??

Any way, keep us posted aquat, definatley interested in your thoughts on the new stuff. And as a side note, what do you think of the fun bolts for your rear King??

happy trails...

squish

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
squish said:
... And as a side note, what do you think of the fun bolts for your rear King??
Yea how are they? Are they directly compatible with all QR rear hubs or do they need some internal changes? More importantly do they come in gold ano to replace my Hope skewer?

I have to think using one or two allen wrenches will be a lot easier and faster than the twist, lever, repeat, repeat, repeat, method I use with the skewer. Plus if I don't keep the cam greased the clamping force drops and the axle slips.

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,207 Posts
Fun Bolts

squish said:
And as a side note, what do you think of the fun bolts for your rear King??

squish

Fun bolts rule!
Stupid name.... but solid stuff.

I had to switch over to the burlier BMX, solid axle, as I was snapping the standard hollow, QR style under my massive girth.

So far I've only broken one of these. CK has been good with the warranty.

I do like the added stiffness of the rear end with this setup.

I hate quick releases anyway.

Zilla, you can convert any garden variety CK rear axle to a solid BMX style with fun bolts. It's about $80 clams to do.

Attachments

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
Very cool, thanks for input Aqua. I'm about 225 lbs, and have a Pack (RFX) in the works and have been considering this upgrade when I order up my hubs. I'd like the added stiffness and security something like that will provide on a bike that's intended to do stupid things :D Looks like I now know what I'll be running for hubs and axles.

happy trails...

squish

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
I've had mine for about a half of last season, I would never consider going back to QR. The best thing about the fun bolts, aside from the added stiffness, is the fact that the axle controls the ultimate spacing between the rear dropouts. Unlike standard QR, which additionally preloads the bearings and can screw up your rotor alignment in the rear when you really tighten them, the fun bolts pinch the rear drop out between the bolt and the axle. I find it much easier to remove wheels with them as well, as I would tighten my QRs so much that I would often look for sticks around the trail to leverage them open.

_MK

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
If you don't have the heavy duty axle you need that too. I got the axle and fun bolts from my LBS. I don't think CK will sell direct.

One strange thing is the HD axle needs an inch sized allen wrench (a 3/32, if I remember correctly). I needed one to tighten a loose rear wheel in Moab and couldn't find one after the shops had closed so I had to use my spare wheel for the Homer enchilada ride.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
If you don't have the heavy duty axle you need that too. I got the axle and fun bolts from my LBS. I don't think CK will sell direct.

One strange thing is the HD axle needs an inch sized allen wrench (a 3/32, if I remember correctly). I needed one to tighten a loose rear wheel in Moab and couldn't find one after the shops had closed so I had to use my spare wheel for the Homer enchilada ride.
Yeah, the imperial sizing on the axle pinch bolt is beyond me, why?

Here's a link which shows the bolts: http://www.chrisking.com/hubs/hbs_sspeed_disc.html
And here's where they get mentioned in regard to ISO disc hub: http://www.chrisking.com/hubs/hbs_ISO_disc.html (bottom of the page).

_MK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.