Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, live in GA, looking to come up to TN for a weekend of camping and riding. Maybe around the Chatanoga area? I know Racoon mountain. Any others or camping reccomendations? Looking for Epic techy rides for experiecned mountain bikers.

Thnanks in Advance!

·
Registered
264 Posts
The best riding in the entire state (in my opinion) is very close the the GA border. One area called Tanasi is located at the Ocoee whitewater center. Just down the road is Chilhowee mountain and its trails. Both places have camping.

I have not ridden Raccoon yet but have heard it is very good as well.

·
Registered
845 Posts
If you are going to Chattanooga then by all means check out Raccoon Mtn, it's just about 10 minutes from downtown. Across the state line in Dalton GA is the Pinhoti trail, which can be very epic and is more technically challenging. Further east is the Ocoee area which you can find Chillhowee Mtn (aka Clemmer Trail) and the Tanasi Trail system. All these trails are a blast but the best post ride hang is Tanasi. The trails are just behind the Whitewater Center and the river is a sweet place cool down after you're finished riding.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The trails are dusty dry and could use some rain.
Raccoon Mountain has some fun trails and is just a few minutes from downtown Chattanooga.
Tanasi and Chilhowie trails have more camping options. I prefer Tanasi and the Brush Creek section over Chilhowie. Maps are available at the Whitewater Center.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Forgot to mention...

For technical riding, I would check out Chilhowee. Upper Slickrock, Naked Widow & Clear Creek are good for some technical riding fun. Camp at the top, or the bottom. Fair warning, if you ride Clear Creek down (which you should), you will have to climb UP the mountain on the road (boring) or up clemmer (~2 miles up).

Tanasi is good fun, too. But it's much less techy riding.

-bmg

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello, thanks for the info, pretty good maps online. Where's the best place to park for Chilhowee? Do I want to park by the lake or up by the Azalea Trail? Is there a physical address I can put in my Garmin to get there? or do I just go to the whitewater center and go from there?

Thanks !!!

·
Registered
845 Posts
mtbboy2000 said:
Hello, thanks for the info, pretty good maps online. Where's the best place to park for Chilhowee? Do I want to park by the lake or up by the Azalea Trail? Is there a physical address I can put in my Garmin to get there? or do I just go to the whitewater center and go from there?

Thanks !!!
If you're riding Chillhowee Mtn, there's a parking lot at the bottom of the mountain at the Clemmer trail head. The lot is on the left side of Copper Road. Once you see the lake on your right begin looking for left hand turns. The Clemmer parking area is just a few feet before Greasy Creek Road. There is also a nice camping area on Greasy Creek if you want to be closer to the Chillhowee Trails. The climb out of the parking lot is 5ish miles long to the top but at the end of the ride you get to descend all the way back to the car which is huge fun.

The Tanasi trail system and Whitewater Center is a few more miles upstream on Copper Road. I love both of these trails but I was riding Clemmer many years before Tanasi was a consideration. Tanasi is fast a flowy with very few technical demands. Clemmer is bigger with longer climbs and more rocky sections. Clear Creek at Chillhowee as I last remember was a real technical challenge and a couple sections on that trail were scary good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.